Sunday, November 8, 2009

Sewing Sunday

About five years ago, my friend Alyssa taught me how to sew. She does things properly, so I learned how to make pillowcases first (matching the stripes on the upholstery silk, setting in invisible zippers, cross stitching over the edges to prevent the fabric fraying). Then she taught me how to make patterns, muslins how to do French seams. We started draping but then she had her apt. remodeled--a process that took years. We're now back sewing.

This afternoon, we had our first sewing circle in a while. I'm planning on making a few dresses and have new fabric, as well as some cashmere from Beckenstein's, some lovely silks from Mood (including a Marc Jacobs collection green print that I want to make into a short sleeved dress) and some wool for a tulip skirt. I've got the lining, the zippers and thread and am ready to go. I spent the afternoon tracing and cutting out a fitting pattern, looking over my old fabrics (most haven't dated and still look as beautiful as when I bought them) and thinking of ideas that I hope to pull off. It's nice to be creative again and do something that energizes a different part of my brain.

This afternoon's outfit was a favorite from last fall--Yves in rose, black tights, gray Inhabit cashmere cardi and my new Jeffrey Campbell wedges. You need to be able to move in clothes when you sew--and you need to be able to hike them out of your way so they don't get cut up.

3 comments:

Marti said...

I wish that I could sew. or knit. I have such a short attention span. Moya I would love to see the material you bought and what you end up making!!!

Moya said...

I will post pictures of the end results--I promise. As for fabrics, I have a white silk with a tiny brown cross pattern in rows (it's also got a white stripe woven through it) that I'm going to use for a top. I also have a bright emerald green floral Marc Jacobs collection silk (for a dress), a light tan wool for a skirt, a blue/silver striped brocade (possibly a skirt), a green/brown cashmere men's suiting with a slight plaid (it's more a neutral--I have a lot and don't know what I'll do with it yet) and a muted red and ivory floral silk for a top.

Knitting is addictive. I can't afford to do it any more because it is actually really pricey. Sewing is cheaper than knitting overall.

Biscuit said...

this sounds like so much fun! i can't wait to see pictures. i have a sewing machine that someone gave me that i have been meaning to learn how to use.