Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Danya

So, I wore a dress for acupuncture, albeit with a long sleeved J.Crew black t underneath so I could just roll the dress down around my waist. Today's outfit--Danya with the black t underneath, gray cropped Inhabit cashmere cardi, burgundy tights, JC shoes.

Today was tiring. Lots of student consultations but my students are so nice. One of my students came in wearing Ignacia with red tights and a red jacket and looked very stylish. Another even bought me a coffee and piece of cake. I was so touched by her kindness and so sad that I couldn't drink the coffee (one sip made me realize how much better caffeinated coffee tastes). I gave the cake to Evan.

On that note, my acupuncturist praised me for the way I've stuck to the diet and said not all her patients were as good. I felt so proud--like I got an A on my homework. Hopefully all that work will pay off but it is nice to know that I'm doing well.

The main frustration today: air fares to England are super expensive, way more than normal at Christmas. I am having to foresake BA (my favorite) for the not so great American Airlines (bringing my own food for sure). But when the flight costs $200+ more for economy and BA only gives you 1/4 mile for every mile flown, then there's just no comparison. I may even be able to get the full milage on my BA frequent flier card. Still, I'll have to use those miles--my USAirways ones are about to expire and I have enough for a flight but no time to go anywhere (and no idea where I'd go anyway). I imagine they'll expire well before my conference in LA this spring. So, tomorrow, I'm going to bite the bullet and get my ticket home for the holidays and just grit my teeth for that crowded 7 hour flight over and 9 hour flight back. Thank goodness for ipods and magazines.

4 comments:

joyce said...

I can definitely sympathize with your frustration over exorbitant holiday travel. It's crazy!

Moya, can you say what sort of neckline the tee you wore under Danya had? I just got this dress and am wondering how I can layer it....

Moya said...

it has a boat neckline--I think I'd prefer something with more of a scoop neck but it's all I had available. I'm going to look in J. Crew and Uniqlo to see what they have next week (when I start my holiday shopping).


I can't believe the airlines are charging this much this holiday. It's 50% more expensive to travel than it was last year. I know BA are having problems but they are better off selling the seats and having full planes than having empty flights with $1000 seats. I always take the 8.50 am flight from JFK and it is always pretty empty. I guess they don't respect customers any more than they respect their staff.

Marti said...

Airfare is insane. Though Jon bought our tickets to phoenix in october and max gets a discounted seat it was still $800 for 3 tickets on Alaska flying at really miserable times. Moya- I have a feeling that you may be able to extend your US Airway miles. American isn't SO BAD I have flown it to London before but that was when they had food and free alcohol - have you tried continental? They normally have a reasonable fare as wel....

Moya said...

Given that we're in a recession and oil prices are relatively low, I don't get the prices. I should have got my ticket earlier but it's tough to do it too early because of finals.

It's good to know American aren't that bad. I never drink on flights and I'll just have to get my own food from Whole Foods the day before (although I have to buy drinks at the airport). It's just one more thing to attend to. I didn't look into Continental as I think all their transatlantic flights are from Newark. I get the early morning flight--so much better for jetlag--but I don't want to be trying to get to Newark at 5 am. My first ever flight to the US was on Continental and I have some loyalty to them from when I lived in Houston.