Saturday, March 5, 2011

Work/Distractions

I'm currently mired in trying to finish a conference paper. Usually, I cut down a longer work (or start from scratch) knowing that if I get the argument, analysis and supporting materials together, I can always expand from there later on. Normally the plan is to publish but somewhere teaching, grading and the book writing mean that this expansion to article length escapes me. Where I have expanded papers, it has been because I've been asked to submit them for some anthology or other, or have decided that it's finally time to do something with a piece of work that I left for later. The turnaround time for the first is usually minimal, the latter has taken me as long as seven years...

So, my vow this time was to do things differently. Take that chunk of a chapter that I cut out, edit it to article length (around 25 pages) then cut down to conference paper length (9 pages or so). Of course, this means I'm sitting here on Saturday with a 27 page paper covered in editing marks that I need to cut to 9 by tomorrow (presenting on Thursday in New Orleans and as I teach this week and have grading, I can't really  expand any longer).

Not only are there distractions from work but from the interwebs. It emerges that Charlie Sheen is going to do another one of his online things tonight--can I spare the time? Can I not spare the time, especially as I will at some point write that celebrity book and this media craziness will be part of a chapter someday.

7 comments:

erica said...

good luck with your conference paper! i'm in the same boat. i have to give a talk and postdoc interview on wednesday, and am desperately trying to combine and condense two chapters into 15 pages. blergh!! of course all i can think about is what to wear...

Moya said...

Good luck, Erica! Where are you interviewing? And what are you wearing? I've always gone pretty much with business frump as I've never been able to work out how to be stylish for these things. I fantasize about a Vivienne Westwood suit but it will remain just a dream.

erica said...

it's at toronto. i don't own a suit, so i think i'll wear my lyell kresse jacket, cole haan oxfords, wool tights, and, well, i haven't figured out the rest. would my eniko work? i also have a new apc denim dress (http://totokaelo.com/store/products/apc/ss11/70s-denim-dress/indigo), which will be ok for the dinner.

i wish i had proper trousers! i might try to track down a pair of minnies from jcrew tomorrow afternoon.

what do you think--skirt or pants? i feel like art historians can get away with less conservative outfits, but maybe i'm wrong when it comes to interviews and talks?

Moya said...

I always go more conservative but pants can be really respectable. The Kresse jacket is great--as is everything else. A straight or A-line skirt or pants would go well with that outfit. I tend to go for skirts but really whatever you feel most comfortable in. I'd save the Eniko for another day--do you have a multiple day interview?

erica said...

i'm flying in on tuesday for a dinner, and then campus visit, talk, and interview on wednesday. i've never done a job talk or interview...eep!

i think i'll try to get a pair of slim black pants from jcrew tomorrow. it's ridiculous that i only own denim! i'll have to wear my barbour over the kresse because it's going to be quite cold there. thank goodness i bought these new oxfords in time to break them in a little.

a suit from chloe would be nice, too. just the thought of a real income is making me giddy!!

joyce said...

erica, that's so exciting! i'll keep my fingers crossed for you. i second moya on keeping your outfits more neutral/conservative just to be on the safe side. however, i only wore a suit to conference interviews and then felt ok to wear something like a pencil skirt, cardigan, and nice blouse on campus. your kresse will be a great piece. good luck!

erica said...

thanks for the input, joyce!

i feel pretty lame for not owning trousers, a pencil skirt, or even a nice (non SA) blouse! i guess this is what happens when you rely on dresses for conferences and teaching...

off to jcrew this afternoon for a last-minute attempt to put together a suitable outfit.