Sunday, March 6, 2011

Barney's Warehouse Sale

After class on Friday, I met Evan at the Barney's Warehouse sale. Final markdowns were in place by that point--and for several seasons now I've found something that was a steal. Last year it was Philip Lim and Jeffrey Monteiro dresses for a total of $150. In the summer I got an Acne plaid shirt that I love for $22. This time round, I went in with an open mind and came out empty handed. Other than a few pairs of nice but really high Lanvin heels (around $150 each), the garments looked like rags. It didn't take me long to realize that I wasn't going to find anything. As I wandered around with the pretty but too high Lanvin heels in my hands, I thought about the Rachel Comey boots and the Marant blouse--and realized that I probably would like them more. Even the Lanvin shoe boxes are delicious--like powder blue cake boxes with navy tissue paper. But I have a closet full of bargains that I can't wear so passing made me feel quite good.

Evan only did marginally better, getting a cheap shirt and t-shirt. Evidently the men's stock was equally limited and shopworn.

I'm proud that I resisted "bargains." I've got the money still and didn't end up with more clutter that seemed like it was an irresistible deal at the time.

No comments: