Monday, February 28, 2011

My Oscar Fashion Picks

I have yet to see the King's Speech--largely because snow and ice storms interrupted my dates with myself to see the film. Hopefully I'll be able to see it in theaters, but as I haven't seen all the major films, I'm not going to discuss the actual results, which have more to do with politics than merit. I am pleased Natalie Portman won best actress--love her, loved the film, and thought it was the best performance. Much as I liked Michelle Williams in Blue Valentine, I thought it was more Ryan Gosling's film and his lack of a nomination was criminal. Back to politics rather than merit, I guess.

Anyway, it's all about the dresses anyway. While I thought the choices were a little conservative overall, these are my favorites in no particular order.


Maybe my favorite look of the night. I'm not entirely sure about the hair but the tea length and vintage feel of this dress are perfect. Usually I prefer a brighter color but this pale pink works so well with the 50s style and with her coloring.


This is a lovely dress and I always admire Cate Blanchett's style and bearing. She is a beautiful and talented woman who always pushes the envelope. I just have a minor criticism--the dress appears to be wearing her rather than the other way around--it may be because the color doesn't pop enough against her fair skin (and I say that as someone with very pale skin myself).


I was on the fence about this one. Love the dress and color but I am not a huge fan of halter necks, especially ones that squish cleavage. But the pop of purple won me over--I love those shoes against the orange background. And I am in awe of Jennifer Hudson's weight loss. OK so she has a huge team of professionals grooming her into shape but if she can lose that many pounds, I'm sure I can get back into shapen. Of course, I had to skip yoga this morning to get my work done so perhaps my point is moot.


 I just loved this on her. She's so beautiful and the color of this dress was so refreshing and unexpected. I love the detailing too. It shouldn't really work--it runs perilously close to being perhaps a bit too ornate and overworked and has a bit of a "Belle of the 90s" feel, but its Mae West elements are cut back and somehow it all came together.


Love her, love the color and the shape is perfect for a pregnant woman. I like the way the shoulders balance out her abdomen. Beautiful.

No comments: