Sunday, April 12, 2009

Now Stereolab?

While I am a huge fan, I don't always check www.stereolab.com, partly because the forums can get silly/repetitive, and partly because there generally aren't many updates from the band.

But today, I checked in only to find that Stereolab are going on a hiatus/sabbatical and that no new material is planned (is that now or forever?). Plus they just canceled the last two dates of their tour, which doesn't sound great. The band are releasing the second disc of Chemical Chords and another Switched On compilation, but this seems ominous. Again, another change I don't like rather than one that I crave. Just like Mayle, it seems they're going out with a few more creations that will only make me miss them more. I'm glad I saw them twice on the last tour, but hope this isn't the end of this. Hopefully they'll be back, refreshed, in a year or so but the wording of the announcement seemed a little less hopeful. No new records planned, no touring. Why are so many of my favorite artists refusing to produce new work? For me, Mayle is wearable art as much as anything, and Stereolab aural art.

Please keep going The Sea and Cake, Archer, Sam, John, Eric. And Emma Fletcher too. And come back, Jim O'Rourke.

4 comments:

Marti said...

Moya, i too love stereolab. you know how bands are they get sick of being around each other, find creating things frustrating etc.. my best friend has been in a band for 13 years and they tour constantly and its really draining. they too are going to take a break this summer. have you heard the bird and the bee? they are pretty great.

Moya said...

I haven't heard them, Marti--what are they like?

I guess Stereolab have been my favorite since 1991-2. I realize that they've had to overcome massive demons--like Mary's death, Laetitia and Tim's split, etc. I just hope the break is for a year or so, like The Sea and Cake, and that they'll come back refreshed.

Marti said...

The bird and the bee are sort of belle and sebastian like but in a newer fresher way poppier almost - female vocalist. we have Sirrus so we listen to alot of indie radio in the car.

Unknown said...

Marti and Moya - you can hear a lot of other great indie bands at KEXP and KCRW (both are on-line, and KEXP broadcasts in NYC on 91.5 in the mornings). I, too have hope that the are just taking a hiatus to recharge. If The Sea and Cake were to disappear, I'm not sure what I would do. A number of years ago I saw Stereolab on tour with Air. Pretty great.