Thursday, April 16, 2009

Feeding a friend's addiction

My dear friend Jane is a bag-a-holic. Her brand of choice is Kooba (she's as into Kooba as we are into Mayle). This week, Kooba had a sample sale in midtown, ending today, so I went over there this afternoon for her and spent about 90 minutes in there, alternately digging in sample boxes and looking at the regularly discounted stock all while balancing my phone, laptop and bag full of coffee, shampoo and other basics I'd picked up earlier.

It was surprisingly un-crowded but it was also odd to be at a sale surrounded by fans of the brand when I know so little about it. I have a Kooba bag that I love, thanks to Jane picking one up for me at Saks' huge sale back in November, but I am not a fan. Around me people knew the names, histories of each item, etc. I just saw bags, some nicer than others.

But we made out like bandits. Jane wanted one bag that was $150 (down from $695) which I picked up for her, but the rest of her finds came from the sample room. Shortly before I left, a woman dumped a huge pile of bags marked with a purple ribbon--which meant they were $40. Many were perfect, even though they were samples or returns. I grabbed four--two for Jane, and the two that she didn't want, I kept. It turned out they were mismarked--they should have been $120 each. So, I spent $90 on two leather shoulder bags, one brown, one black, and another $285 on bags for Jane, which she'll pick up when she visits me in May. Each of the $40 dollar bags were over 90% off--the brand averages around $695 for most bags.

So, if I see a Billie bag, I will get one, but I can't say I need any bags now. I have my Agnes, Billie Doux and three Kooba bags. That seems good for now.

Meanwhile, Jane would probably laugh that I feel that's enough. It's an interesting reversal here--it's like someone being on the other side of my Mayle obsession who might think I have as much as I need and may not be able to tell the difference between Melia and Mirabelle...

But it was fun, got me out of my moping, and when I came home, I still hadn't received anything about healthcare or the job, which means I can relax tonight and catch up on 90210 and Gossip Girl. Evan is out at a John Leguizamo concert and I just wasn't into him enough to go (Leguizamo that is, not Evan). So the kitties and I will keep each other company tonight--they are flanking me as I write, one on either side of me on the couch. I love them, even if Blue got in one of Jane's bags full of Kooba bags.

6 comments:

Marti said...

YOU are a GOOD FRIEND!!! OMG, I don't know that I could brave a sale liek that but see, luck is turning already, even if its just on discounted bags!!!!!

Moya said...

Absolutely! Jane and I were just saying that. She's thrilled with her finds too. Honestly, it is almost easier to go to a sale where you have little investment. But cheap bags are good--and I do like the ones I got

LivKate said...

Moya,

What a great deed for your friend. I am sure she will be thrilled when she sees the bags. Speaking of bags, I was looking at the baby billie that is on ebay and was wondering if it is supposed to look like that. It appears as though the puffy decorative design has worn off. The bag is described as "in like new condition".

Also, I am sorry to read about all the headaches you have been going through. I truly hope everything works out with your health insurance and that you will get that job offer.

C L said...

Moya,
I wish I had a friend like you while I was in London... I was so sad I couldn't make it to any of the Mayle sample sales for 4 years.

LivKate, I know what you mean about the ebay baby billie bag.
Like new condition?? I don't know how it came originally but that puffy parts are all gone!

LivKate said...

According to Christina's Twitter, the Mayle Sample sale is next week. Hopefully, we will get an exact date by tomorrow.

Moya said...

I overlooked that part. I guess I'll be canceling class one day next week if the sale starts on a Mon or Wed (I'm hoping I don't have to do this as I'm actually really responsible about work and most other things, save Mayle).