Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Cure for Insomnia/Stress

I am so pleased that I am now on Spring Break, even though the weather is cold (40 degrees as I type). I had a busy and stressful day at work yesterday, the kind where you don't even get a chance to eat. It culminated with a couple of students walking into my night class to take a test just as I was about to pack up and leave. Consequently, my supposedly early night (I'd hoped to leave at 7) became another regular late night. One student offered no excuse and had to be prompted to apologize, which only irked me more. I lament the loss of courtesy, respect and discipline, which also makes me feel ancient. I'm not that much older than these students but a lot seems to have changed in the schools. That said, many of my students are so great that they make the job worthwhile.

The stress of work, fertility procedures/health insurance issues and not conceiving has gotten to me though. Wearing an OV watch that reads NF (not fertile) is not helping--I realize that most of the time, that's how it is for all of us, but it seems to have additional resonance in my case and isn't changing fast enough for me to Fertile Day 1. I have to be patient (like Eric Cartman with his Nintendo Wii) but it's not always so easy. All this resulted in my waking up around 4 am and not getting back to sleep.

I've been wondering of late if thinking about Mayle is good (nice distraction, pretty clothes, great people) or hindering me (distracting from work and am I karmically setting myself up for a life of pretty dresses and no children?). So rather than think about Mayle to lure myself to sleep, I tried to calm myself back down. I cuddled Peeps, I tried to get comfortable. I don't have sleep problems as a general rule, but nothing worked. So I decided to think about the Mayle sample sale and what I might want, what ideally might be there. Several hours later I awoke. Not only did this successfully get me back to sleep in ways that fantasies of getting pregnant and having a healthy child didn't (too stressful as they remind me that I am nowhere near this), but they delivered a lovely dream. I realize that I only dreamed this just before I woke up, but in my dreams, I walked by 242 Elizabeth Street, saw many racks of clothing, tried the door, was allowed in and discovered the sale was about to start. I was told I could buy, and the first thing I saw were braque bags in all sizes--no, these don't exist--although in my dreams, these were cheap at $1,100 and up. Of course, as Freud and others remind us, many of the items were scrambled up and not real--displacement, condensation and all those dream tropes work for Mayle dreams too. Some pieces vanished after I had piled them up, things weren't where they belonged, I remembered affectionately items that never were, chatted to familiar faces who similarly only existed in the act of dreaming. But I also remember seeing a sign that gave the date of the sale and excitedly thinking how I would tell of all you when I got home.

As that was a dream, I obviously have no information to give. But at least it made me realize that all this Mayle hasn't been a waste of time and energy. It's fed the book, motivated me to write and calmed me down when things seemed dark. It's still early, but I'll sort the health insurance out today, pay my bills and get a little work done before Evan and I go for Doughnut Plant doughnuts. I hope they have the fabulous coconut ones, although I know I'll be tempted to get two (and Evan, as always, will try to stop me, concerned that one is indulgent, two unhealthy). I am not a doughnut fan, but these are special. And they are the only doughnuts, I believe, that were ever featured in Vogue.

5 comments:

erica said...

those doughnuts sound wonderful, moya. if i were in your place, i would buy at least 4, 2 for now, 1 for the walk home, and 1 for 'just in case.' i haven't had a good doughnut in ages, not since i lived in seattle (top pot doughnuts).

don't you just love the self-entitlement so common to our students? i've had some amazingly good students, but in general, they leave something to be desired.

enjoy your spring break. it's supposed to be nearly 60 on thursday up here, so i hope that means it'll be warmer in NYC.

mel said...

moya and erica - i'm with both of you about students. i'm having a much more difficult time with students in their first year. i actually had a student shout out an obnoxious comment in the middle of lecture to me last semester. i was in complete shock. i can't ever imagine this happening when i was in school. students definitely seem worse in general.

there was a recent article in the NYtimes about self-entitlement of students:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/18/education/18college.html?_r=1&bl&ex=1235192400&en=1940fa97be5bac75&ei=5087%0A

donuts sound good. enjoy!

pine said...

Is the Doughnut Planet on the 14th & 7th? Because that's my favorite doughnut shop in the whole city, me and the local policemen who always seem to be getting doughnuts at the counter. I like the chocolate covered ring. I always get 2 to go, 1 for now and 1 for tomorrow morning, I always tell myself, but of course always gone on the subway home.

I love your dream. Only in a dream, would a $1100 Braque bag be a cheap find. It looks like Elux melted in your dream, the way things disappeared from the shopping bag! A bit sad though, to wake up from a sample sale, it's like eating yummy things and waking up in the middle...

Moya said...

The entitlement issue was in full throes yesterday. I had students texting in class (strictly forbidden as they know), so I had to lecture the offenders about it and inquire why they couldn't leave their phones alone for the 75 minutes they had chosen to be in class. I then had kids up and leaving midway--when I asked one why, she said she had personal business to attend to and didn't want to discuss it with me. I mentioned that she had other business to deal with, namely the class she registered and paid for. I also had lots of low level talking through lecture. All these things are banned on the syllabus, all are rude, all hurt the students and it doesn't take much maturity to see this and put the rest of life away while in class.

I also had a lot of the same students asking for extra credit (no, I don't give it--see your syllabus) after they did poorly in their second test. My tests are fair--the students who study (i.e. come to class, do the readings and take notes) get high 90s. Those who sit in class, daydream, try to surreptitiously text or surf the internet, walk in and out as they please, skip classes and don't do any reading don't do as well. I particularly love it when a student asks about a term from the reading, exposing that they never cracked open a book.

This is also why I read rateyourstudents.blogspot.com! I know I am not alone. The thing is, as I tell my students, if I didn't care, I'd just let this happen. But you cannot learn while multitasking, blogging, tweeting, following facebook, texting etc. It's not all about memorizing a few facts either. That's not education.

One of my good students came to me yesterday after class and praised me for reprimanding the slackers. She told me other faculty were taking stands against such kids, including kicking them out of class for texting. She also mentioned that in NYC, classes are often only 15 minutes long before you get a break. I think this says a lot about why so many of the kids can't sit still and can't concentrate for long enough periods of time to learn.

Yes, it really frustrates me. I also hate the student math of Media/Film is probably easy so I'll not study for that test because it is in my major and I'll do well through osmosis. So I'll just study for Organic Chemistry because that's objectively hard. Net result, you fail your media class too because Media Law isn't self evident, nor is history or the workings of the FCC. If I didn't care, it wouldn't matter, but I have to place blame on schools and parents who produce this untenable situation at what are supposedly selective universities.

Yes, I do need doughnuts to unwind! The doughnut plant is in the LES, I think it's the intersection of Grand and Essex, Kim. It is so good--the coconut doughnuts are my favorite but I also like the blueberry, key lime, mango and the raspberry. In the summer, they have different fruit lemonades that aren't too sweet which I also adore.

I'm picking up the doughnuts today so I'm going to get two--or more. I had a bad day yesterday. I need carbs.

Marti said...

Moya, enjoy spring break (plus passover starts tomorrow!) I can only imagine how entitles and annoying most of your students are. I would have loved to have afforded to go to NYU, But my parents couldnt. It makes me angry that tehse kids take a great education for granted.

Also I dream about Mayle all the time, sales, things I want, possible collections. Its always a nice but bittersweet fantasy...