Saturday, April 25, 2009

Mayle Sample Sale Report, Part I

This was such an exhausting and insane event that I'm going to probably blog about it more than once. But I wanted to get something down before memories fade.

First of all, the lines and wait was intense. Some of us got there really early as adrenaline and anxiety won the day over sleep. I was 6th in line (I got there at 7.50 am). The line was probably 30 people long by 8.30 and stayed that way until around 9-9.30 when it exploded. I couldn't count the people (the line was at points 4-5 people wide) and it snaked down to Houston street by the time the sale opened at 11.30 (typically Mayle, it was a little late). Reporters from NY magazine and racked were there in force.

Crowd control was reasonably good. 10 people were allowed in at a time, with a few groups entering fairly quickly (I think they made sure there were only about 30-40 people in there at a time, but it was tough to tell). It was never empty in there, but it wasn't that packed or that panic stricken either. We were there for a shade under 2 hours (including bag check and byzantine check out process). By the time we left, the line was as long as before. Simply put, the demand way outstripped anybody's ability to service it. I think most people waited 3-4 hours to get in, whether they arrived 4 hours early like some of the first people, or got there at 11. It was surprising to see how some people drove up at 11 and looked aghast that they couldn't just park outside and walk in and shop.

As for the sale. It was a really mixed bag. It was not as good or well stocked as the legendary June 2007 sale, nor was the stock as cheap. The sale was/is being held in the back stockroom, so you entered through the office entrance to the side, checked bags in the big room that used to be used for old season's stock, and then entered the rest of the office area. First part of the staging area was for re-editions--the older ones were about half price/40% off--dresses averaged about $220-250; the new re-editions were full price (Vanya, Michaelas in another set of fabrics)--many around $400-475. Nobody paid attention to them. There were also some Olympe coats ($225), recuts of Fall 07's Raisa coat for $325 in black and in gray (lovely--I already own this--it runs a little smaller than the original, about a full size). There were also Josie rompers from SS 08 remade in black silk ($195), Ilaria (?) dresses based on the shirt from SS 07 for $265 in pansy lace and the Esperanza fabric, both the black and yellow colorways. Above these were new re-editions you had to special order: the new Florinda coat ($365? $325?), the pansy lace Silvania (over $400) and the Shijo dress in a variety of cottons (esperanza fabric, Via Rita and another white fabric). I think these weree about $265 too. Shoes and bags were also staged here. No Billies or Baby Billies made it to the sale. Jeanne had sold out on Friends and Family day the day before (more on that below). Huge Billie travel bags in leather and in fabric were $395 and were selling fast, especially the lovely purple one. The shoes were leopard clogs and a star version in black and silver and another matte grey pair (by far the most popular). These were initially going to be special orders as they only had the samples, but they came in around 12.30 and were immediately snatched up. They were $350 and had higher heels and a lower platform than the originals. They also ran narrower so they were no use to my wide feet.

The other staging area at the back was where you found older stock. Almost all the archival pieces had gone the day before during F and F. I doubt there were many such pieces there but it was a bit disappointing. Even if we hadn't been able to fit into them, many of us agreed we'd have loved to have seen them.

As for the stock. First of all, accessories. Slim pickings here. No belts, other than some made for reeditions. Only three pairs of ankle boots from the holiday reeditions--two white in size 36, one tan in 42 (alas, no 40 for me). $175. Samira soft-fold clutches in the satin--$50. A new lace clutch for either $50-$75--not the leather/lace one--black lace over green or pink fabric. Make up bags for $25. Madcap slippers for a song (nobody wanted them then or now), denim Jeanne bags for $75, Carribea suede bags for $125, Yves scarves in both colorways, $15. A few random old shoes in tiny or really large sizes that were immediately snatched up, along with the couple of belts that were actually real Mayle belts in fabrics from earlier seasons. Not much of any interest.

As for the clothing, not as cheap as 07, not as expensive as 08. No set price for all dresses, or all tops. Instead, styles individually priced. Basically there were 4 racks of styles--some restocking was going on, but there wasn't that much variety. Sizes 0, 2, 8 and 10 were in really short supply. I saw virtually no 10s or 0s (and I was looking for both). Most items were 4 or 6.

Knitwear. Virtually none. The new vests with the big woolen loops (not for me as they weren't my style) sold out within 10 minutes. From the old stock, the Ninon cardigan which was $75 and was not flattering on me (and too rough for my liking) was plentiful but few people were buying. A few Jeanne style sweaters with short sleeves in pink and ivory for $75. A few random ivory pieces in other styles which were snapped up soon--only in S.

Dresses. Here's what was plentiful, although sizes were largely 4 and
6. Most dresses were $125-$175, although some were $200. Lucienne
(which was an odd fit), Liliane were $175 which was odd as they were not
that expensive originally. The Lena from holiday was $200. All stock from SS 08, FW 08, Resort/Holiday 08. Note that most styles were not represented in the sale as they had sold out. Some items that were there when I first got in were snapped up within minutes:

Lucila dress (SS 08). Probably the most plentiful, although it looked like these were a little grimy but that could be the light--no windows in there and it wasn't that bright. $125
Mariposa dress--I think mainly 4s--I think these were $150. Stocked at the front by the coats.
Rosamelia (I didn't look at sizes, this one runs very big). No idea of price. Mainly ivory, some in black.
Ebba in black--runs smaller than the blue and I am not sure of sizes (I think I remember 4s and 6s). $125
Theodora dress--runs small, lots of tiny sizes. Both black and persimmon. No idea of prices as once I found no size 10, this was scratched off my list. I think people who wanted this already had it. Sample versions without the embellishments were available and I think were $125?
Tama dress--I think $150-175
Mirabella in the ivory/black colorway. These went fast. I think $175-$195.
One Kaori sample, no embellishments, $175
Jacinthe in black, in lavender/tan and a few ivory paisleys that were snapped up fast. Surprised to see this here because it was originally sold old before reductions. Must have been a recut from the original factory. I think this was $195. It runs short and a little small. I tried one on in a 6 which not only didn't fit me, it was horribly unflattering (largely because of the size issue).
Astrid--in lavender and tan and in ivory paisley. $375. Runs very big--4 fit me--and looks like a nightdress on. I passed. It is just not right for me.
Jemeen--$75. Both in ivory and in black and white, although the latter was selling out by 1.30 so I imagine this went yesterday.
Betto and the top version, Phoebe--nobody was interested in these.
$125 and $75 respectively. Fair amount of sizes but no Ls or XS.
Hilaire--I think this was $125
Lucienne in size 6 and 4. $175. Runs pretty small because of the way it goes in at the bottom. I couldn't get away with it because the bottom would have torn.
Celias in size 6 ($95) in ivory. Just a few of these. All size 6--and this dress runs large.
2 Reikos in buttercup, size 6--I think these were $195

There was also a black Nieves dress--a sleeveless dress version of the top in the black silk from SS 08 for $95.

Tops: Fewer styles, but more stock in most of these.
Paz camisole--lots of these, flimsy and in a beige. Probably cheapish
Gia camisole in blue, Gia in black.
A few ivory Zoia tops.
Delaura top--I think this is plain ugly
Zeta top (runs big)--most expensive top at $150
Helen blouse--black only. No idea of sizes or price as I have this in persimmon.
One or two of the Athenas in black and persimmon that are like Helen.
Dezhra--no idea of price, mainly in ivory
Claudie tops in beige and black--don't know sizes or prices. Sleeveless version also available.
ivory Paradiso Mitsuko, 6 only--several of these. This top is cut narrow in the back.
Mitchie in dove and rose, sizes 4 and 6. I think this sold out before I left.
Anahi in size 6 only (runs big but it is beautiful). $75.


Pants/Skirts--Other than Nia, very few of any of these
Nia skort--$75, both colorways
miniskirt from holiday/resort in both black and tan
a few random pairs of pants, mainly sizes 2-6

There were a few other isolated pieces that sold out or were grabbed in the first minutes. One black Thea ($125), a couple of Ottos in larger sizes ($195), Lena dress ($200--although a putty and black version that didn't go into production was also there when I left for the same price).

There were also random samples--Senna jacket (size 6) in gray gabardine with lavender lace centerpiece for $95. Just a little too small for me, or I would have got it.

Basically, if I hadn't got up early and had great friends passing finds to me, I wouldn't have got that much. I scored some nice pieces but this wasn't the sale for the ages that the 07 one was.

Payment and check out were in the shop itself (no stock there) and you exit through the store door.

16 comments:

joyce said...

you have an amazing memory! sounds like the sale was bittersweet. i'd love to see photos of what you were able to find. and if you any of those size 6 items doesn't work out, please let me know!

erica said...

if i could have been there, i would have wanted to get reiko in buttercup and anahi.

but otherwise, it sounds like it wasn't worth schlepping a baby to nyc, so i'm feeling ok about not being able to go.

seriously moya, your memory is fantastic!

avalanche2020 said...

Wow I am so impressed with your memory! Thanks for sharing. Sounds like a lot of real good items were sold at the F&F, and there wasn't very many small sizes to begin with. I feel better not flying over all the way from west coast just for the sale, as I may not even able to find one single item for myself. I look forward to your photos so I can live vicariously through your finds! :)

jennifer said...

wow, i am also really impressed by your memory. the whole thing went by in a complete blur for me. by the time i got into the shop (probably around 3pm), many of the items you listed were gone, but there were billies, baby billies, and some large suede and leather travel bags (billie douce??). the billies and baby billies were pre-order only, and they came in many different colors, suede, and leather.

Moya said...

Wow--I missed the billies. I just got back from today--very little left. No Billies but baby Billie in a few of the SS 08 colorways--brown with colored trim, the black with silk brocade and the toro.

Obviously, with a sale like this, whenever you went, you missed out on a lot.

Virtually everything had gone when I went today around 2.15, but there were new items--Pitsula in black and white, Pitsula in the white eyelet over black silk combo from FW 07. Both were reduced from $150 to $100. Neither fit me. Again, only small items. I got nothing more for myself but picked up a few things for friends.

What did you get Jennifer?

Marti said...

Actually it was pretty much the EXACT same stock at F+F. The archival pieces were not anything that anyone has been talking about - just a few old tops from 2003 and 2004, all size 6.

From what it sounds like there was actually more of other things on Friday such as a variety in clog colors. I didnt see that Senna jacket either....

jennifer said...

man, i would have loved to try on the pistula! i also saw the white senna jacket, but by that point, it looked pretty beat up and dirty.

i made out pretty well, though i had a relatively small budget. i got the jemeen in black and white, the reiko re-edition in paradiso, the nieves dress, and a tati (b&w houndstooth pattern) pouch. i really wanted to get a billie, the clogs, and the black coat that needed to be pre-ordered, but decided against it for various reasons.

how about you, moya, what did you get? did you pick anything up today?

Anonymous said...

they had baby billies today?? i am officially depressed. i was one of the first 20 yesterday and was disappointed that i wouldn't be getting a beloved bag but happily left with many nice pieces. is there any way i can still pre-order a baby billie? i will be forever in your debt if someone can provide me an e-mail address or number...

Marti said...

yuri you can probably just leave a message at the store for Christina.

That said a friend of mine went at 5 and said that there was tons of stuff left. she didnt buy anything though as she was a size 10.

Marti said...

Moya- I saw the black pistula with the white lace trim, but what was the other one? The Pitsula in the white eyelet over black silk combo from FW 07?

Moya said...

I think both Pitsulas were new, Marti. They had one in black with the white eyelet over the top like the combination from F/W 07 used for Valentina (I think).

They were still taking orders for baby Billies today, Yuri. You may want to call the store to see if there are any left--or any that didn't get picked up. Alas, I completely missed the full size Billies that I wanted. I didn't realize that they'd already come in and sold out on Friday afternoon after I left.

There were very few size 10s at the sale--even 8 was in short supply. Most of my stuff was a 6 (fortunately, I can sometimes fit into a 6).

mel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

ahh, thank you marti and moya for the glimmer of hope. hopefully it is not too late... i thought they were taking pre-orders for regular billies on Friday? and i totally agree with you moya, that was one extremely exhausting experience - and not necessarily that cathartic either, as many of us left a bit disappointed.

Moya said...

Melissa, that's crazy. I saw no Asinas or Jeannes so they had to have held back stock--or given items out to friends. I didn't see any line jumping or friends being whisked in on Friday, but it was possible that happened after I got in.

The Olya was a find. I saw a couple on Friday but they went so fast that by the time I walked back to see them, they'd gone. This was maybe 10 minutes after opening. The vests went even faster. How much were they? They weren't what I wanted (I was hoping for something a little girlier), but I'm just curious about the price.

They weren't taking orders for the Billies on Friday morning/lunchtime. I'd have ordered one had that been the case. Only pre-orders then were for the Fedosia coat and Sylvania and Shijo dresses.

Marti and Jennifer--I'd call the store today about the lace Pitsula. They had a fair number left on Saturday and I am sure they'll sell them today if they can.

Unknown said...

Hey! My name is Erika and I was one of the few who went to sale (I've been a Mayle collector for a while now...) and I started selling my collections on eBay. I still have A LOT left (billies,baby billies, jeannes, unworn shoes, cardigans, etc!) so please let me know if you're interested! you can e-mail me at erikalewis16@gmail.com with what you're looking for and if I have it, I'll send you pics and we could work something out. Thank youu! :)