Sunday, March 1, 2009

More Winter


Despite there being enough of a respite for me to wear my Ludovine coat on Friday (for the first time), it's back to deep winter in NYC. I write this in between checking the local news media and CUNY's website to see if college will be closed tomorrow. I am giving two exams--both in my 100+ lecture classes--so I've been receiving a lot of emails from students today, justifiably anxious about whether we'll have school tomorrow. Of course, the powers that be are playing the waiting game, likely until tomorrow morning, to decide whether or not to cancel classes. Predictions of up to 12-14 inches of snow abound, and all my students commute, but I guess the Mayor would rather tinker with parking regulations than let us know what is going on tomorrow.

Fortunately I have my snow boots ready to go, and my trusty layers on alert, but I am looking forward to getting deeper into March and finally wearing Helen, or Virginie, or Rocio.

In other news, this is the week that Mayle will be closed for its transition into a pop-up shop selling limited edition merchandise. I plan to visit next week and I'll see if I can take any photos. From the little I've read (which may be untrue), there will be baby Billie bags but no full size ones (which is a shame as I have no need for small bags), and most of the designs are from further back in the Mayle archive. I suspect a lot of the items will be more dressy, but who knows what coats, cotton sundresses and multi-fabric tops await? I recall most Mayle from the last 3-4 years but I still find items on ebay that I forgot, and others I've never seen. It's rare, but it happens. Sometimes I see one piece I had forgotten and it stimulates recall of an entire collection. The final range will doubtless be full of such nostalgia.

So, I hope as March comes in, looking back to winter and further back to early Mayle, it will also be a month for me to look forward. To those ends, I'm going for more fertility tests/treatments and taking a more aggressive stance so I can get one step closer to meeting Mini Cooper, as my friend Nicole has nicknamed our future offspring. And I also plan to finish the book this month. And get some pictures of my Mayle clothing up on this blog at long, long last.

Update: They finally canceled school this morning, causing our college website to crash under the weight of anxious student/faculty/staff clicks.

11 comments:

joyce said...

i can totally sympathize. i love pretty clothes and i now live in vermont -- a near-total paradox as hunter wellies and wool sweaters have become my winter uniform. makes me miss california.

i'm really looking forward to seeing some of your amazing mayle collection, moya!

wythe said...

at least today there is sun!

Moya said...

I know! I'm just dreading the ice after dark. The MTA never clears the snow from my subway entrance, which is on a slope. Kids come to skateboard and it turns into an ice rink. I've fallen flat on my back there a number of times, always while in my snow boots.

Still, Spring is ahead...

Cindy said...

I wish you the best of luck with conceiving Mini Cooper! I hope your doctor's visits are not awful and your fertility process is as fruitful as a celebrity's (hello, Nicole Kidman?!). BTW, speaking of Nicole Kidman, I was reading Vogue and she claims that "fertility waters" in Australia helped her conceive while filming... I think she's totally nuts.

I called Elyse Walker yesterday to find what Mayle they have left. They have Ziggy (romper), Zenith (cami), Justinian (long dress from holiday), and the skort. I think the romper and the skort are only items on sale. The SA told me that Mayle flew off the shelves after the first cut.

erica said...

be careful with the ice! i took a walk this afternoon, and the sidewalks were clear for the most part thankfully.

mini cooper--very cute! good luck with the appointments. my fingers are crossed that it will happen soon so you don't have to go through too many interventions.

it is sheer bliss, moya. exhausting, maddening, rife with hormone-fueled weeping, but oh so wonderful.

LivKate said...

Agreed -- it is unbearably cold today in NYC. Hopefully, it will be better on Friday ;) Are you guys heading to Mayle? Will it open at noon.

Moya -- Good luck!

Erica, right after my first child was born I was so emotional - I would literally cry at the drop of a hat and would stare at my son and be completely overwhelmed with for love for him. However, after my daughter was born, I did not experience the same extreme mood swings. Congratulations on your beautiful boy.

Moya said...

Thank you for the good wishes, Cindy and LivKate. I've been having a tough time of it this week--negative pregnancy test but high temperatures and I am 21 DPO. I tested at 17 DPO and Evan and I watched together as the test developed and came up as not pregnant. It was a huge blow and really made me fear this was a dream that wasn't going to come true.

I hope I have the luck of these celebrities. I also have some skepticism regarding Nicole Kidman's miracle waters, and suspect injectable fertility drugs had more to do with it. That's a regime I will hopefully be on soon. I have to get over my fear of needles, but it will be worth it.

Erica, your blog post on giving birth to Leon made me cry--such great writing and detail. I am so pleased everything went well and that you are having such a wonderful time with your boy. I still can't believe you managed to get your chapters written while in labor.

I may or may not head into Mayle Friday. I have to finish the intro to my book, but I also want to see the pieces she's remade.

I got my postcard from Mayle yesterday--very limited editions,each piece numbered. I'll transcribe the text later today but it sounds like the pieces get more limited as time progresses--more stock added at irregular intervals too. It looks like no more than 10 pieces per style (likely one 10, one 8, 2 6s, 2 4s, 2 2s and a O. But it's definitely written in such a way as to keep us guessing. They even say the store may close March 31, but even that isn't written in stone.

Also, monogram clogs but in leopard without the monogram may come back.

Julie said...

I wish you absolutely the best on your two "projects", the baby and the book. And that this is a dream that does come true for you!

The celebrity angle with pregnancy is interesting. There is such posturing and spinning of stories in their lives, why would fertiliy treaments be immune. Likely Nicole's story is not as romantic as she makes it out to be.

lorochills said...

thanks moya for the information on the postcard...i guess they may have the lola clog hmmm...keep us posted on what you see and how much the items are...
i also wanted to wish you good luck on conceiving and tell you to think about happy thoughts

Moya said...

Thank you, Loretta. I am concentrating on Mayle in some ways to surround myself with beautiful things and happy thoughts in the hopes I can conceive a healthy baby. The alternative is a very stressful road into areas I hope to avoid.

I think no Lola clogs but certainly there will be the monogram ones. You should call and ask to be put on the list for your size. They will call when they are in.

lorochills said...

moya-i hope you can avoid those roads as well. yes, with the warm weather upon us and the happy thoughts i am sure evan and you will be that much closer to a mini cooper.

i got an email back from christina and she said she would just go ahead and charge my card when the clogs come in and ship them out yeah:)