Sunday, March 29, 2009

Last Saturday at Mayle

I went in yesterday to see Elise and Sumer and to catch a glimpse of the Michaelas and Analinas. Analina runs small and doesn't go above a 6 (which is really a 4, maybe even a small 4). Not my thing anyway. Michaela is pretty and runs big so I was able to try on the two remaining 6s--the oriental jacquard, which is filmy and pretty, and the Honeycomb, which was my favorite of the two. I resisted buying, because I want to see what comes in on Monday and, more importantly, have some money for the sample sale. No clogs as yet--maybe not at all as there is some problem with the factory.

There's still a fair amount of stock left. I don't think any of the pants have sold; there are a fair number of Laetitia skirts (some have sold), a good number of Amandine skirts and one cream Hannae camisole. The brown lurex Ishii dress and the goldrenrod Ishii shirt are left from the first delivery, as are the Lima dress, Lima top (in cream and black), the black lace Sylvania top, the Via Rita Mitsu, the black mini skirt, a few Cliveden tops and Therese. From the second delivery, there's a sole black Avingon and the Paradiso version. There is the burnout bird Josephine and the Madcap Cecilia. Several Adas are left--all seem to run very small, several Analinas (in most, if not all, colorways). Just a few Michaelas left, mainly in the smaller sizes, with Rio Plata just down to one size 2. They still have the leopard jacket, the baby Billie and a sole Billie Doux. One more delivery is expected on Monday or Tuesday.

Sold out items are Sylvestre, Claudie romper, Barcelona and Petulia. It looks like Cecilia, Josephine, Avignon and maybe Michaela will sell out too.

It was great spending more time with Elise and Sumer. I really think they should be credited with making the store such a wonderful place--along with Christina and the much missed Doris and Vanessa. Elise has always been my go-to girl--she's been so kind, given me the best advice and been someone I've loved talking to. I think we're all going to miss 242 Elizabeth Street for so many reasons--the beauty of the clothes and the store itself, the girls, the social space it has provided. It has been a rare and wonderful place where I have met so many nice people. I will be going on Tuesday to say goodbye, but hopefully I'll see all of these wonderful people again at other venues.

I also won the ebay auction for the Monica dress. No idea how this fits--I've only tried on the top--but I put in a bid and it was accepted so I imagine I will find out soon!

14 comments:

Christina said...

I wish I could be there on tuesday with everyone!

here is a 360 view of the mayle shop from '08. I've never been in there myself so this gives me a peek into what it is like. Love the setup.

360 boutique panorama

also, here's a brief interview with jane from last year

housing works interview

LivKate said...

Hi everyone,

I will definitely try to make it on Tuesday at 6:00 p.m. I would love to see you all!

Marti said...

Moya, The Monica fits true to size but you def need to wear a slip underneath. I m so sad I wont be in NYC to say goodbye on the last day... but have made plans to have dinner with Elise when i am back later this month.....

Moya said...

Thanks, Marti. The 8 should be fine then. I knew I'd need a slip--I remember Jane sold a white and a black one to wear with the dress (or did it originally come with it)?

I'll definitely be at the store at 6 on Tuesday--probably earlier. I wonder if they'll allow us to take pictures? It will be so sad. Marti, we know you'll be there in spirit. LivKate, I can't wait to see you again.

lorochills said...

moya- i actually sold the monica in that same color last year.. i think since you said you are small on top the dress would be just fine

Marti said...

Moya she sold a white one to wear undearneath, but a black one looks WAYYYY better in my opinion. I sold my 6 last year (it was a bit tight). if you get it and find that its not fitting let me know!!

I will def be there in spirit!

Moya said...

Thanks, Loretta. How does it fit? The front is so odd but there is something I always loved about the fabric and I remember being really angry when Paris Hilton wore it. I hoped she'd never wear Mayle again and stick instead to DVF, which fortunately she did. I didn't want her sullying our brand!

lorochills said...

i think the fit is nice...like some of mayle dresses...there is a lot of detailing in the waist and i think that the fabric wraps around the waist like a cumberband...it is a snug fit but in a good way...it make one hold there head up high snug...the skirt is full and the back and shoulders are very forgiving

Moya said...

Thanks so much, Loretta. I'm excited!

Marti said...

Moya, because the front sort of "laces" ie: the ribbon tie is flexible your able to control the bust area. Its such a great dress. I miss it!

And I second that on not just Paris (how could you NOT wear a slip with that dress? she made it look so S&M) but also Nicky Hilton who always used to wear Mayle - esp the wedges!!

Unknown said...

Moya - I passed on that dress on ebay because I couldn't get over the picture of paris wearing it. And I couldn't believe that Jane Mayle would design a dress that looks so trashy. Glad to hear that I'm wrong - let me know how it fits!
I can't make it on Tuesday because I have to coach until 6:30pm in Norwalk.

Cindy said...

The Monica dress sounds so pretty, it's a shame that Paris made it look skanky. I hope it fits beautifully!

Moya said...

I know it is irritating that Paris ruined a Mayle dress, but at least that helped me get it at a decent price. So I'm trying to find silver linings today (just taught PR, so I guess that's fitting).

LivKate said...

I wanted the Ludovica (SS 2006) and then, guess who more it on Ellen Degeneres? Yes, Paris - wearing it in the emerald green color - I think green was the "it" color that season. I was really annoyed.