Sunday, March 8, 2009

Mayle Pop Up Report, Part One

I made it into Mayle at 3 yesterday (somehow, I feel I've typed that opening sentence way too many times recently). I had called earlier and they said it was quiet. It was still that way at 3, so I think the initial fervor has vanished, along with much of the stock. That said, representatives of every piece were still available, although the choice fabrics and sizes were not.

First, the facts (and this is straight from Elise who noted that they don't know anything about specific styles, although they know certain pieces will NOT be made). This first shipment of re-editions contained 11 pieces. There will be a total of 30 styles coming in over the next few weeks. Most of what to follow will be dresses. There will be no bags, no knitwear. Monogram clogs in leopard will come in later in the month, probably near the very end. There may be some other patterns/prints of the clogs, all without the monogram, but that's not certain. If it happens, there will not be full size ranges. There will be no cotton jumper dresses--most of what is coming in is in silk. No Federica dress either. Most of the pieces in the older photos now in the store will not be remade--the only exception is the Avignon dress. She said nothing about coats, but they seem unlikely. I think this is it for skirts and pants too.

The first shipment included Laetitia skirts in a variety of prints. Many were in heavier fabrics (brocades, gabardines). Almost all were in prints. What's left includes a pale blue brocade (similar in print to the pink used on a baby billie), some early 1970s brown/olive/white prints. There are the flared low-rise pants mentioned in a variety of brighter prints--the green from my dress from Summer 06 with the almost paisley style floral print, pink pinstriped fabric, white/blue canvas mattress style print. These were $395 each and seemed to have very few takers. I think the skirts are nice but overpriced. They are also way too short for someone my height (5'10")--nearer a belt than a skirt. The pants were insane but the right very tall, very skinny and probably very beautiful hipster/rocker/California beach girl type could probably look amazing in them.

The other plentiful items were the voluminous Ishii dress and shirt (the dress is the shirt lengthened to the knee or just below). These run big so a size 6 could work even on a 10. They are too beach cover up for me. Basically they are very simple: slight mandarin collar fastened with a row of buttons, yoke back, puffed 3/4 sleeves. Tops are available in a variety of fabrics, several are sheer florals, others are eyelet. Dresses are available in black silk, a kind of lurex polyester style print, and a flamingo pink matte silk with an intaglio print, trimmed with black buttons. The dress is $395, the tops $395 and higher, depending on fabric. I think they had a lot of more expensive fabrics for this but they've gone.

Three colorways of Mitsu were left--Amalfi flowers (I nearly got this, the 6 fit, but I wasn't 100% sure about the yellow zippers), Ada white cotton with black flower print and the dalmatia cotton print from a few summers back. Elise was surprised that they remade this as it wasn't a best seller, but it was a nice dress.

There was one Petulia dress in a size 2 (7 of 7) left--identical to Marti's and the best piece from the collection in my opinion. Had they had it in an 8, I'd be wearing it now.

The Lima dress and top were lace, black and cream colorways available, simple, u-back and front with some grosgrain trim around its 3/4 sleeves and in the front. Both pretty but transparent and need to be worn over slips and camisoles.

Cliveden top. At $525 and up, this was the most expensive piece. Very cropped, pretty slit sleeves, v neck wrap style, 3/4 puff sleeves with ruffle trim. Most elaborate piece in the collection in terms of the workmanship. Also made in the broadest range of fabrics--sheer chiffons I've never seen, the black floral from Holiday 07. This looks like it runs small--if you are a 0, you could wear the 2, maybe even 4.

The lace Sylvania top--one left in gauze. My other favorite. But it is so transparent I passed. I loved it but how much more black Mayle clothing do I need? I'm hoping for cobalt blues, lavender, greens, the green/lavender print from Summer 06, iris colored silks, the magenta used for Clothilde and other jewel tones. But I did have a mild regret as I passed.

The simple Barcelona dress seemed to have just one black version left. I saw someone try it on--it is lovely, despite its limited detailing. It's a lot like my Lyell moon print dress without the ruffle.

The Therese dress (style 11) had arrived--just one size 4 so far. It's bias-cut, 40s style, v-neck with flutter sleeves. It falls above the knee and has a slight ruffle/slit/wrap effect in the skirt. The one I saw was in black silk with a white lace diamond over the stomach and white lace trim by the neck/shoulders. This was $495 and there will be others. It is one of the pieces that will be in this week in a number of sizes. It's very pretty, more an event dress and, yes, looks like it has the quality of a chambermaid frock, Bunuel or not.

There was also another skirt--a detailed black silk miniskirt (very short). Bias cut, it had a fold-over top and a strip of fabric that came down into a slight V. It was $395 (I suspect it is style 12 and part of the collection that includes Therese). Nobody paid it any attention but it was beautifully crafted. Again, too tiny for a 5'10" girl but this is one of the more exquisitely crafted pieces and one I suspect could be a great investment buy.

So, that's that for now. The store is very spartan these days (I think Jane has removed several of the pieces that decorated the left hand side, including the shelves). The walls are decorated with posters from last summer's Corazan de Chihuahaua collection (spelling likely wrong)--a poster I'd never even seen that featured lipstick writing around its margins; posters for A Haiku for Carlos M. are in both dressing rooms (I think this is Fall/Winter 2003). There is a huge frame of old pictures and fabric swatches that Jane put together for this farewell and a beautiful large framed black and white profile shot of her head leaning against it. She's lying in a bed without make-up.

I don't know if this means that Carlos M and Summer 08 are inspirations for this collection, bookends, or what. But there is a sense of the quickly fading past in the air. Some girls came in and asked if the counter was for sale while I was there (they weren't in the least bit interested in the clothes). Elise said it might be and they said it would make a great bar before they turned and left. I was horrified--there was a shared sense in the air that this was near blasphemy. I imagine all the other fixtures will be returned to Jane as so much has already been removed. Really, it is quite sad.


Addendum: I forgot one other piece--a camisole with thicker straps (like Zoia) with buttons up the back in the black and white print used for Zenith. This was $295.

23 comments:

Marti said...

Hi Moya, thanks for that update. I have the original Therese (which is the black with a white lace diamond) looking forward to seeing what else comes in this week.

That said if anyone is interested I am selling my short sleeve black sweater dress from holiday 2006 - i never wore it and would rather invest in some other pieces. Its the one with the attached belt that has multi-colored stones. Its a medium.

Moya said...

It sounds like the Therese is one of those that she's not changing. I thought it was a beautiful dress. Jane sent you the best pieces, Marti. You will be very happy when you receive them.

joyce said...

thanks for writing in such detail, moya. for those of us who can't make it to the store, your posts are the next best thing to actually being there!

Marti said...

That camisole is based on the one from spring 2005 that was done in black or a "dirty" cream with black piping. I got the black, which is cut cut small. I am interested to see if she does anything with the madcap floral print. That said I called the shop and ordered one for Tuesday when they come in! Its a decent price.

leanne said...

Thanks for all of the detailed updates! I'm so excited to see what is actually in the store.

Julie said...

wow, Moya, thanks for the detailed report! I am going to stop in on Tuesday and hopefully catch the second release.

Christina said...

Moya, thanks for the great report! In the past months, you have definitely helped retailers, including Mayle, sell many items.

Is anyone allowed to take photos inside Mayle? Please do so if time allows! I'm not familiar with older styles so I need to see these styles everyone is talking about!

leanne said...

Marti - do you have any photos of the camisole that you are referring to? It sounds lovely.
Moya - would you recommend Mitsu?

Moya said...

I would recommend Mitsu. I think the cotton would be great in the summer, although the Amalfi flowers silk did drape better on me. I'm usually an 8 (broad back and shoulders) but the 6 just fit.

Cindy said...

You have a phenomenal memory! Interestingly enough, I had the same exact thought about the black skirt. It is beautiful and unusually crafted - I am with you in terms of thinking that is an investment buy for someone who has the legs to carry it off.

It's funny that you didn't pick up Mitsu in the Amalfi because of the zippers - the neon yellow exposed zippers had me at hello! I too was suprised to see Mitsu in 3 colorways at the store since a lot of retailers didn't pick it up. I think that this is the most modern/edited version of a silohuette that Mayle seems to love and use for nearly every collection (i.e., Marta, Basia, Mia, Thea) and perhaps it is for this reason that Mitsu was selected for the limited edition...

I'm really excited to see what remaining styles will be unveiled! BTW, I asked Elise about jackets/coats and she told me that there won't be any coats - maybe (and this is a big maybe) a light jacket.

LivKate said...

Moya,
Thank you for such a detailed report of the Mayle situation. I am truly going to miss Mayle. I love her designs - they are so timeless. I am devastated that she will not be doing the federica or baby billie - I was really banking on her re-cutting those. I would so love it if she re-cut Vilna (another regret I have for not purchasing it) As an FYI - if anyone needs linesheets for spring and fall 2007 I can email them (that way you can know the names of the pieces in those collections). I am going to stop in the boutique tomorrow and see what the second delivery entails.

leanne said...

LivKate - I'd like to take you up on your offer to email the older line sheets. My email address is leannemdavis5(at)gmail(dot)com. Thank you! I look forward to hearing a report from tomorrow's delivery.

LivKate said...

Leanne,

I sent them. Enjoy!

avalanche2020 said...

LivKate, I would love to see the old linesheets! My email address is mrntt13(at)gmail(dot)com Thank you so much! I have been trying to look up past season styles but even the photos are very hard to come by. Thanks again for offering!

mel said...

linesheets for me too, please! my address is lormel13 at gmail. that's a 13 at the end of lormel. thx!

moya - i'm particularly interested in any dress with empire waist or babydoll, esp. in dalmatian or amalfi print. if you see anything like this when you're in today please let me know! i know it will probably impossible to get through on the phone to mayle today. thx!! and i hope you find some lovely frocks today!

Moya said...

Melissa--they have Mitsu in both prints--it is kind of empire waist--maybe higher. I'll report back this afternoon.

I'd love to see the linesheets too--for Spring/Summer 07 as I have the lookbook for Fall/Winter somewhere. My email is moya.luckett[at]gmail[dot]com. Thank you so much, LivKate.

Cindy said...

I just dropped by the shop - Mitsu in Amalfi is sold out.

LivKate said...

All,
I sent the linesheets.

Moya said...

Thank you so much. They are amazing.

mel said...

livkate - thanks for the linesheets; they may very well come in handy for the pop-up!

moya - thanks for the recs, but as cindy said the mitsu amalfi sold out. the dalamtian they have is not the ice blue or royal silk she used a couple of seasons ago.. they said it was cotton. i really love the silk.

Moya said...

I forgot about both prints being called Dalmatia. She sometimes reuses names (eg Gaia dress, Gaia pants) which adds to the confusion...

lorochills said...

melissa-the dalmatian print that they are using must be the one blck/white one form s/s 2005. if you need to see it there is a strapless dress on ebay now in that print. if not i could send you an image as i have a blouse in that print and love the fabric.it is a nice summer weight fabric.

Anonymous said...

Shop two piece short prom dresses and gowns for your prom or pageant at Promdresshut.com. Two-piece homecoming party dresses and 2-piece cocktail party dresses.