Thursday, February 26, 2009

In a Rut

Over the last month or so, I've added many discount Mayle finds to my wardrobe, but the weather has conspired against me. I have all these beautiful fall, holiday and resort pieces sitting in my closet, but sleeveless dresses and fine silk blouses are hardly suited to snow, biting winds, or icy days. There's also the occupational hazard of chalk dust--something I don't want to cover my new Helen blouse or Melia dress.

So I've ended up living in my usual winter wardrobe--Earnest Sewn jeans or denim skirt (over leggings), Steven Alan shirts (gathered, reverse seams and even Dalia layered over thermal long-sleeved tops), Inhabit and Club Monaco cashmere sweaters and cardigans (generally both) topped off with a Mayle coat--usually Vera--and my increasingly battered boots. I love every single item, but I'm starting to feel a little like I'm caught in a rut.

Yesterday, I purchased the Mayle Gaia harem pants and Agnes bag from Bird who are having an incredible 75% off sale (60% on accessories). These pants are one of the items I initially wrote off as insane: they are half constructed from jersey, have a little skirt flap at the front and are tight at the ankles. I may be tall, and my legs may be long, but I have big thigh muscles and my hip bones are broad, so I shy away from anything that adds bulk there. Jersey obviously has no corseting effect, so that's not something for me. I changed my mind, however, when I went into Mayle last week and saw Vanessa trying them on (she no longer works there but now designs really amazing jewelry, but unfortunately has no website yet). I tried them on and they worked. Obviously not with my battered boots and tights, but with sandals and bare legs, I could see that these would be a good addition for spring. Plus they are super-comfortable. Now all I have to do is work out something that I can wear with them. The cashmere sweater/Steven Alan shirt combo looks really stupid with something so floaty and soft.

Still, until the weather changes, I'll wear my uniform happily. I also need the temps to change so I can get these boots repaired so they will (hopefully) be with me for yet another year or so.

16 comments:

leanne said...

Thanks for the heads up on the Bird markdowns. I looked at the site last night but for some reason didn't look at Mayle. I missed the Agnes bag, but I did score the last Penilope dress ($79)!

Moya said...

Yay! I have Penilope (for $109--still a deal) and it is great, albeit another thing I haven't worn yet. If you call them, you may find more Mayle not listed. I know they have belts, clutches, etc.

leanne said...

What size do you have in the Melia? I'm still trying to find one of those on sale and I think I could do 6 or 8. I felt like it ran more true to size than some from previous seasons.

Moya said...

I got a 10. I could have worn an 8 but I like to have the extra width for teaching (writing on the blackboard) and running up subway steps.

patrickstar said...

i've been feeling the same way with all the cold weather we've been getting here, but i decided to just try to bundle up so i can wear some of my new mayle pieces! today it's jemeen with black tights and the weather's been so much nicer which is a plus.

leanne, that's great you were able to pick up the last penilope. i was on shopbird two days ago and thought about it, and logged in this morning to see that it marked down. thea too was at a great price. unfortunately the sizing didn't work out for me, but it was good that you were able to pick up that dress!

Moya said...

Today is so much nicer that I want to wear something new--Patrickstar, you inspire me!

Cindy said...

Moya - I'm glad you are liking the Gaia pants! I love all of the pants that designers have been putting out, especially those that experiment with shape. I think that a collective gag reflex is mounting with skinnies, you know? I've tried on the Gaia in 3 different sizes and no matter what size I try, my butt looks dumpy and diapered in them. I bet you look awesome in yours since you're so tall!

Gosh, Agnes. Amazing deals! I called Bird after I saw your post and they have no Mayle left on sale - just the clutches and a couple of size 0/2 Theas. I so wish I called yesterday!

Moya said...

Cindy--Mayle have the bags for 60% off--Agnes is $60 less than I paid for it (if they have any left). I know they only had two black Agnes left last week and were out of smoke.
They also have the Billie Douce in leather and the belts for 60% off.

leanne said...

Moya - thanks for the sizing tip. I think that I may go up a size (if I can find one).
Patrickstar - How do you like Jemeen? I tried it on and wasn't sure that I loved it as much as I wanted to. What color do you have?
Warm weather in Connecticut today!

patrickstar said...

Hi Leanne -
I actually love Jemeen. I wasn't sure at first, and the material seemed a bit thin, but it's a really comfortable and easy to wear dress. I feel like I can just throw it on and go. I have the ivory paisley one which I liked more than the b&w. Yay for warmer weather today!

leanne said...

I just got an email from Bird - they oversold the Penilope so I didn't score the great deal. Has anyone seen a size 6 for a decent price?

LivKate said...

Hi Leanne, I was in Mayle today and they had the Melia dress in 6 and 8 in ivory -- I actually bought it in ivory, even though it is absolutely impractical for my lifestyle (I work in an investment bank and have 2 kids ages 5 and 2) but I LOVE it. I also bought the Eunice pant -- I felt they were very slimming and excellent quality - they ran big. Moya, the boots are 30% off and I was told that they have tons of size 6s and larger sizes. I wear my short black ones all the time -- they are very comfy. I managed to snag the Thea in size 2 at Bird for $139 -- perhaps a little more snug than I would ordinarily prefer but inspires me to lose 5 lbs and get back to my pre- #2 baby weight ;). All in all, I have totally blown my budget and will have to subsist on lettuce to pay for my purchases.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know if the Jemeen dress in small sizes (preferably a 0) is still anywhere to be found on sale? This is the one thing that I wanted from Mayle's last collection and I'm so sad that I missed out on the sale! Thanks in advance!

And to Moya, I recently stumpled upon your blog and I'm so glad to have found a place where Mayle lovers gather and talk about it! :)

Julie said...

I love that you posted this and we are getting a snow storm in the north east.

I mean, stop it already, winter weather! :)

I have worn my eniko though, just sat night actually. I love it as I always receive so many compliments and they are usually repeated, "Really , I love that dress"

LivKate, I have the eunice pants and am obsessed..Such a nice heavy weight. Lazy me has yet to have them altered though.


Anyone planning on going to the pop-up on Friday? I hope to be able to skip out of work around lunch

ps
Moya, you are a star to update your blog so regularly! I had one trip and a busy week at work and totally fell off. I am even more impressed with frockstyle now! :)

Moya said...

Delia--welcome! Eluxury still have Jemeen in 0 and 2 in the lavender print that the store didn't stock. Shopdiavolina.com may have it, as might stockists like VanJean, Studio Sebastian and V.O.D. in Dallas, Elyse Walker and Ceremony in LA.

I may go to the pop up next week--I am not sure I want to brave the insanity of its opening day (Friday) but who knows. I will report back for sure.

I've been remiss with the blog this week, Julie. I had a talk to prepare and was caught up in work/baby frustration.

Leanne--I am so sorry that Bird oversold Penilope. I'll look around and report back if I find any on sale.

mel said...

i'm with you on the weather. at least us academics get days off for this horrible weather. but i can't wait to wear some dresses too!

for anyone who's interested, i thinking of selling my jemeen dress in black/white in a size 0. it's beautiful and i love it, but i'm afraid i won't be able to wear it until next summer (due to a growing belly), and would rather buy some loose flowy dresses. let me know here, or you can contact me through ebay: my seller name is meltoine.

moya- good luck with the fertility doc!