Wednesday, June 9, 2010

DONE!

I don't usually resort to all caps but this is a moment to shout it out. I just finished printing up the final version of my book. Tomorrow I'm going to write the cover letter and mail all 436 pages out to the University of California Press. Hopefully they'll still want it--but I'm pretty certain that this is as polished, detailed and coherent as it could be. I'm actually kind of distant from some of it, too close to other chapters, but I actually think it may be quite good. Now I hope that the readers like it and I don't have to do too much in the way of another major rewrite (the last one was massive--two brand new chapters added, the other five completely redone).

Monday, I start work on the sample chapter for book #2--this one is on Femininity in Popular Film and Television. I have the proposal already written, although I think I will want to retool it in places, a publisher who is interested (Rutgers University Press) and just have to decide which chapter to write as the sample chapter--that's a decision for Friday.

I also bought an unlimited yoga card today--as many classes as I can go to in the next two months. I'm trying for 3, maybe 4, a month. For $200 plus tax I think that's a pretty good deal.

4 comments:

joyce said...

Oh, Moya, that is SO GREAT!! [You've got me using caps too.] I'm sure UC will love it. You've worked so very hard -- and I'm glad you indulged at the Gilt sale as a reward.

On the exercise front, I've been going to the gym regularly myself. It feels really good.

jennifer said...

Congratulations, Moya! I'm so happy for you! And, you're starting work on the second book on Monday? You are on a roll!

Marti said...

FINALLY. You must be ecstatic!!! Congrats Moya. You desrve the splurges.

Moya said...

Thank you, Joyce, Jennifer and Marti. I mailed the box today from NYU and it hasn't quite sunk in. I'm thinking of the JM as my reward--I hope they come soon and I hope they fit.

Then Monday, I shift ears and work on the next one. I want to have two books under contract by summer's end.