Sunday, December 21, 2008

Barneys Again

As I had to get a final Christmas present yesterday (for one of my sisters-in-law), I thought I'd make a pit-stop at Barneys. The reductions are the same as they were last week, but the publicity means that most of the good items had long gone. Again, I had mild regrets about not picking Marion up last week, especially when I saw what little was left. In Mayle, mainly Cecilia tops, one Yves in a size 8, one Kaori, size 8 (at over $200 less than I spent for a dress I have yet to wear). Several Sabbias, Gias and lots of Ebba dresses. No Enikos, no knitwear. It was a small rack but it looks like they may have started bringing in Mayle stock from elsewhere--more Cecilias, for instance.

They have started reductions on some holiday 08, but only at 40% and most items appear to have already sold out. No size 8 or 10 left in Theodora, only one Zora (I think a size 0) and not on sale. The pants are reduced and I have my eye on the size 10s when they go down further--hopefully after I return. I suspect that by Jan 9, little will be left though. Maybe by then resort will be in my price range, although there isn't that great a selection and it is all black/putty--none of the pretty lavender pieces.

So, that's my NYC shopping finished for the year. I'll be in London within the next 48 hours and have too much last minute packing/cleaning/grading to do to find any time for commerce. Furthermore, the icy streets and temperatures make me want to stay inside and read the NYT.

5 comments:

erica said...

i also feel a bit of regret about not picking up a Marion from Odessa last month, but i'm gearing up to sell a bit of my things. my closet is bursting at the seams (only 3'x1' dimensions!) with dresses, sweaters, and skirts. matthew said no more shopping for the foreseeable future!

if i find something delightful and reasonably priced in paris, i might buy it, but i think i'd rather spend my money on good food and museums.

i hope you have a wonderful time in London! thank goodness the snow is supposed to stop soon.

after hearing about your BA luggage disaster, i'm going to have to be extra careful with my stuff since i'm planning to grade papers on the plane. i know it's a bad idea to travel with student work, but i really have no choice. i'll have to put them in a carry on and avoid packing particularly valuable clothing.

it's incredibly beautiful to see the trees covered in snow, and yes, a cup of tea helps keep the shopping bug at bay...

Moya said...

Have a great time in Paris, Erica (and Matthew). I also have a tiny closet (actually two, but they are shallow and small). I've taken over much of Evan's closet too. With Mayle closing, I won't be spending much either--especially as it looks like I'll start IVF in Feb or March.

Moya said...

Also, I got my bag back from BA, but it took weeks of calls. It was very frustrating and I was obviously parted from my wardrobe staples for a good part of the winter. Not an experience I'd wish to repeat, hence my overstuffed carry on lying in the bedroom right now.

erica said...

i don't know how we survive with such teeny closets! i have a few things stored in the basement, but nothing of great value.

when i flew to rome 7 years ago, the airline lost a small bag. when it was returned to me, it was missing a pair of sweatpants. a bit odd considering i had a lovely emporio armani crocheted shawl in the bag, too. i wonder what happened to the sweats?

IVF in feb or march? will keep my fingers crossed for you!

indubitably said...

Hi. I would like to contribute to community closet, if that's ok. I was told by another contributor to contact you. I'm sorry that it has to be through here as I can't there seems to be no other way. My blog is in-dubitably.blogspot.com