Monday, December 1, 2008

Back in town

I spent part of this Thanksgiving weekend in the Berkshires with Evan's family. As people would be traveling from Boston, Long Island, NYC and upstate New York, we picked a neutral spot, gathered at a hotel and ate at a restaurant. All in all, it was good fun--and didn't involve any Black Friday shopping.

On returning to New York late Friday, I met up with my dear friend Jenny who now lives in D.C. after a decade in Salt Lake City. I love having her close by as weekend trips are easy and we get to see a lot of each other. It was a cold weekend, but we wandered around Williamsburg, Nolita and Soho, saw Synechdoche, New York and ate at her favorite Mexican spot in the Lower East Side. Even though I shouldn't have really taken the weekend off, it was a lot of fun.

Jenny is not a big clothes shopper, but I did find ways to end up in Jumelle and Mayle (of course). Jumelle has the new Mayle bags--a tiny version of Jeanne with a long double chain strap and a larger version of Jeanne (I think it is the Agnes) with a thick braided leather strap with chain woven in. I loved both of them--the larger one was particularly suitable for me as I carry so much around the city. Whether I can afford to get it remains to be seen. They also had the fold over bag in a white "lace" cut-out leather. It's basically a rectangular purse with a zipper at the top.

Mayle was extremely quiet on Saturday afternoon. Granted it was late (6 p.m) but we were the only people in the store. It was all pretty picked over--although the Votivo candle was burning away again. Most of the paradiso items had gone and the stock looked very limited. I saw a black Aiko in large and wished I could have swapped it for my medium as I'd love the extra length in the sleeves. Resort arrives on Wednesday (they are shut today and tomorrow, presumably to restock the store and update the website). I put my name down for the lavender dress (at $595), the gray/putty cotton dress (around $560-595) and the black and white top (about $440). I am now more into resort than holiday but want Hera and Zora if possible. I noticed several names down for the dresses and tops--but not overwhelming numbers. I have to start playing the waiting game--watching for bargains--as I cannot sustain the level of spending from last month, especially with Christmas coming up.

I finished my shopping with a look in Steven Alan--Erica, they have your hat on sale--and then walked over to Red Flower to pick up Gardenia shower gel.

Overall, I noticed few people in stores on Saturday. Maybe it was the brutal cold but I think it was more the economy. I suspect there will be a few more Mayle reductions Wednesday--but there is little left that I really want. If Ludovine in birdseye goes down further or they finds some size 8 or 10 pants, maybe. Or if a sable Aiko in large suddenly appears. But basically, I'm now waiting for the reductions on holiday/resort.

I did receive my box from Odessa. I love Ludovine although my original preference for birdseye remains. Aiko is great--and very soft--but the sleeves run short. I may have skipped getting it had I known, but I do like it very much all the same. It runs true to size in the body but not the sleeves.

I am in love with my Yves dress. I'm wearing it now and taking advantage of the relatively balmy 53 degree weather before we plunge back into arctic temperatures again.

I'm going to pop into Mayle on Thursday to see if I am so in love with the dresses that I can't wait. I'm also going to head in for the Inhabit cashmere sample sale. I hope they have more interesting stock than they have for their online sample sale. I have to think gifts, however. My mother wants a red or blue scarf and I'd like to see if there is anything there for Dad, Evan or my brother Dominic and his wife, Cara. But I have my eye on the crewneck sweater with three buttons on the shoulder and the shawl collared round neck cashmere sweater for myself.

5 comments:

Biscuit said...

Glad you had a peaceful Thanksgiving. I was down in Virginia and accompanied my sister to the mall on Black Friday. It was actually very busy there. I was good and only purchased a very practical pair of work shoes for 50% off from Cole Haan.

I just received my Odessa package a few minutes ago. I'm glad I got Veva, even if I do still think it would have gotten reduced further. I love the print and would have been sad if I didn't get it.

Do you think there will be any reductions on holiday, or only what remains of fall on Wednesday? Maybe I will stop in just to take a peak. I am also more interested in resort right now; while I think some of the holiday pieces are beautiful, I just don't see myself getting much wear out of them. Do you know what other retailers will be carrying it?

Right now I am trying to decide whether to keep Violetta. I'm leaning towards returning it, I think. I like it, but I already have a black crochet dress from Lyell. They are very different, but still. What do you think? I got it for under $200, so it was a decent deal.

Moya said...

Hi Susie,

I think there will be reductions on fall and pre-fall (which is stacked away). I think it is too early to see holiday reductions, especially as they don't close shop until February. I wouldn't anticipate holiday reductions--if any--until around Christmas.

Barneys, Bird and Hush are getting resort--or some of it at least. I anticipate that means that LaGarconne, Jumelle and eluxury are also going to get some of it. Hush told me that they are getting limited pieces and limited sizes (I think Mayle limits the sizes they're shipping)--nothing bigger than a 6, so they are out for me. It looks like Jake aren't getting any more Mayle--like Odessa.

It's a tough call but I'd return Violetta if you have doubts. I know the Lyell dress you are talking about (it didn't fit me, alas!), but it might be money you can put towards something else. I didn't order it as I think my cats would have destroyed it--and I needed a slip to line it and I just don't hae one.

I think Veva is sold out everywhere but Odessa. I may get it in a 10 if it goes down to 70% off but I doubt that will happen for a while.

If you stop into Mayle on Wednesday, let me know what you find. If you want to meet there Thursday, we could also do that.

erica said...

sigh, i wish i could find the aiko in sable (on sale). clearly a medium would fit me best, so no point in calling the shop to see about their aiko. oh well! and anyway, i really really need to stop with the shopping!

i haven't touched my credit card in months, been super proud of myself, but i need to be careful about dipping too much into my savings. eek!

susie, i would return the violetta, too, if you have some doubts about it. i love the Veva print, but Matthew has no love for the dress as such. oh well.

i bought a few things this weekend: juicy maternity denim from neiman marcus ($80, i hope they fit), a red v-neck cardigan from a.p.c. for Matthew (super nice merino wool, not exactly cheap alas), and that darn hepper cat pod for my kitties.

mayle really needs to post photos of the resort collection, i am dying to see what's coming. if we go to brooklyn next sunday, we'll only be there from 1 to 5 since we need to get up early the next morning.

i'm with you, moya. if it needs a slip, forget it! i should invest in one, but i'm too lazy...

Biscuit said...

OK, I think I will return Violetta. Thanks for the advice; finding a slip would be a hassle anyway. I keep intending to buy one, but have never found anything suitable.

I would like to meet up Thursday, but my vacation is over and I'm back at work (sadly). I can only sneak out during lunch, and I have a lunch meeting on Thursday, unfortunately. Not even sure if I'll be able to get away on Wednesday. I'm surprised people are already putting their names down on pieces from resort! I can't wait to see the pieces in person.

As for Mayle bags, I have to say that I have not been impressed with the quality of some of them. I have the Riri bag, and it fell apart after only a few months of carrying it! The cameo on front fell off and the handle wouldn't stay attached if I carried more than my wallet and blackberry. But I think that was probably due to the design of the bag (the handle issue, not the cameo falling off-- it was basically just glued on).

Also, Susan at Odessa says there isn't much left at the shop, and she doesn't plan to make any further reductions. But I would keep checking in occasionally anyway.

Moya said...

I guess I'm not surprised that people have their name down for resort (disappointed, yes, as it bodes ill for reductions). It used to be that many Mayle styles sold out immediately--this was only a year or two ago--and resort/holiday was generally tough to get on sale. I think last year was the exception, but that may have been because of increased production and the downturn in the economy. As has been confirmed, the recession started in December 07. Now that she's closing shop, I think people are doing what we're doing and trying to get what they can while she's open. Plus she seems to have reduced her production and most items seem to be store exclusives.

And then, of course, this line is one of her strongest... I don't really think I should get anything full price but I am torn as I know I'll regret it in years to come. But right now, with Christmas and family obligations, not to mention what I just spent, I don't want to get into debt or drain my savings.

It's interesting to hear her bags aren't well made. I want a Jeanne but it is so narrow and I am notorious for overstuffing my wallet with receipts (I fear identity theft), so I'd risk ruining it. That's why the new Agnes appeals so much but who knows if it will go on sale. I am surprised as I believed Mayle would have great bags, although I didn't like the Carribea from the summer at all. I've also got my eye on a soft Sissi Rossi hobo at Barneys but even on sale, it is over $500, and I just can't justify that right now.