Friday, December 12, 2008

Retail Therapy

Feeling down yesterday, I took myself off to the shops. I'm not alone in finding shopping a way to escape my troubles, even if it doesn't solve anything in the long term. I can be who I want, I can enjoy the distractions the merchandise offers, the fantasy of other lives while getting out of my thoughts. These are, of course, the same escapes alcohol, gambling, drugs and other addictions offer so I'm not saying I'm proud. I don't think I am addicted to shopping--I don't just buy anything for the adrenaline kick, but I am aware I have more clothes than many of my friends and maybe I do have a problem. I am, however, able to stop and frequently do.

That said, yesterday was tough and the New York Times was even extolling the once in a lifetime sales (maybe because their ad revenues are falling?). I needed to get more Christmas presents and so I headed out in the torrential rain (without an umbrella--I was so stuck in my mind). I had not realized it was raining). My main destination was the Lutz and Patmos sale. I've never owned anything by them and assumed all they did was cashmere. Certainly, the sample sale was advertised as luxe cashmere and according to racked.com, they had cashmere hats for $25 and scarves for $50. I need a new hat, my mother would like a cashmere scarf and I figured I could get some really good presents at those prices. I'd also read that there was an amazing sale at Marc Jacobs with men's cashmere sweaters down to $50. All these reports came on blogs, from people who reportedly had got these deals.

If it all sounds too good to be true, it was. Lutz and Patmos was dead--nice staff, empty room (three staff, two customers, including me). It didn't even occur to me until after I left that this was insane. The reports of cheap luxe cashmere were also wrong. Hats were $40--and all were merino wool. Scarves also $50 and all merino. I scoured the sale and found next to no cashmere--only samples in a lurid orangey yellow or beige with odd cuts, chain detailing and a decidedly momsy look. The Barneys cotton/wool pieces were nice in a thrift-store way but way too itchy for me (like my mother and father, I am allergic to lanolin so most wool is out of the question, hence my cashmere fetish). The deals were good, but I didn't trek to the outposts of the Meatpacking District in pouring rain to get a wool sweater for $150. I ended up getting a cashmere/cotton spring sample sweater in black with puffed dolman sleeves and a scoop neck for $50. It was reminiscent of a sweater I had in school in the 1990s. I also got a cotton/alapaca sample sweater dress with beautifully croched short sleeves for $75, again in black. It looked lovely over my Steven Alan sweater and while it may be a little short, it will work well with leggings or even draped over a mini skirt.

Marc Jacobs was a bust. Sure it is 70% off but the label looks so matronly to me and has done for a while. Marc is a designer who has badly lost his way and needs to stop partying. That said, I was really looking for those $50 cashmere sweaters. Whoever posted that was lying/exaggerating. His men's cashmere was originally $1,100-$1,300. At 70% off, that is well over $300, not $50. I am not an idiot and can do math, so I chalk falling for that one up to my emotional turmoil. I also suspect all the posts about cheap cashmere came from people working the sales or for these brands to get shoppers in and then hoping that they'll spend even if what they wanted isn't there. It worked with me at Lutz and Patmos. But I would not have gotten the dress if it hadn't been so nice. The sweater will be useful but it wasn't a wow purchase.

I then headed to Saks. Basically everything discounted is still 50% off the reduced price and more stock is coming in. That said, Saks looks as dowdy to me as Marc Jacobs clothing, but they stock brands my mother likes, like Eileen Fisher. Alas, there was little of that left (I already got her a cardigan so it wasn't a disaster). I went to the shoe dept. on 5, and found more Chie Mihara stock in my size (40-41). I got a pair of ankle boots for $140. I shouldn't have done it, but they looked somewhat like the pair in the Mayle Fall 08 lookbook. I nearly got some lace-up shoes but they felt like they might rub. I also started feeling that I was escaping, not making my life easier. This is my IVF fund and I was spending it on things I didn't need. And I got no Christmas presents at all.

So, in short, sales are good but not as good as the hype. More Mayle is appearing online so there is a chance for some discounts later on--especially given predictions that the economy will really tank in January. Hopefully, I can get some items then, but I can't see any major reductions happening for a while. I think the stores are hurting, yes, but as always, the stuff that's really good sells, especially in New York.

Meanwhile, once I get the timer on my camera sorted out, I'll start posting pictures of my stash. Hopefully, that will curb my urge to spend--that is, until Mayle's resort and holiday collections are discounted.

13 comments:

Biscuit said...

hi moya!

sorry to hear that you have been feeling down. it's a tough time of the year for many people-- i am also having the same sorts of feelings about where the year went. i hope that the next year brings you everything you hope for!

i have actually been feeling paralyzed by all the sales. i also read that article in the nyt yesterday. it's completely overwhelming. in sale news, barneys just made additional markdowns on mayle. i think they will have ebba for under $200; i was there a few days ago and they still seemed to have several sizes. on their website, they had eniko for $169 (or was it 179?) and liliane for $149! the store had a lot of resort in, and very little holiday left (but maybe they had more in the back, as they usually do).

hope you are feeling better today! i am relieved that it's friday.

Moya said...

Thank you so much for your kind thoughts, Susie. I am actually heading off to Barneys now to see what they have. I didn't know they had got resort--it will be interesting to see what's there!

I hope you have a good weekend--maybe we can both go shopping together soon.

take care and enjoy the rest of the day.

Unknown said...

Hi Moya,

I am another HUGE Mayle fan and it's surprising, I've actually found some GREAT deals on Mayle already - I found the Odette coat in my size at 50% off (no tax or shipping) and the Mitchi top in rose at 25% off (no tax) from a couple of stores in California. I even found the Betto and Dezra at 40% off each, no tax either. I think the economy is the reason the stores are slashing even Mayle at this point. I am going to miss her designs so much...

Christina said...

Moya, I can't wait to hear about your finds. Susie, did you order anything from Barneys? I ordered the Liliane from their site and it will be my first piece of Mayle clothing, that is if it's in stock. I own two of her bags (both purchased on sale) but always admired the clothes from afar until I found out she was closing. I never sought out the clothes when they went on sale because I figured I could buy something of hers later. Now all I care about is Mayle and I want it all, especially resort! lol It's only now that I regret not buying the styles I coveted from past seasons, especially fall and spring 07. I am thankful for ebay right about now.

When Mayle is gone, the closest thing we'll have is Jeffrey Monteiro. I read about him on refinery29 and he is definitely one to watch. He was the design director at Mayle as well as Derek Lam and Tod's. You can see the Mayle influence in his namesake collection and the silhouettes are beautiful.

http://www.jeffreymonteiro.com


Mieko,
What store in cali did you find the Odette? I am frantic about finding that in a size 2 or even 0. I want to find Olympe as well. I wonder if Mayle CS would send me a list of all their stockists so I can find that darn coat in my size, on sale of course!

Biscuit said...

mieko, can you please please let us know where you got the dezra for 40% off? also the odette.

christine, i didn't get anything from barneys. but eluxury was an extra 30% off sale items so i reordered the violetta (i know it sounds crazy, but i had returned it and then changed my mind; i needed a different size anyway, so it works out). if you find out about mayle stockists, can you let us know?

moya, yes, we should meet up soon. i do think that mayle will have another regular in-store sale, which we should go to together.

Moya said...

I went to Barneys yesterday and nearly got Marion for $139! The discounts are pretty amazing. I may go back Tuesday as I was not in the mood to shop and I also thought Marion was a lot like a more formal, black version of Yves. It fit well but I wasn't totally in love and I felt the residual guilt from yesterday's splurge.

I saw Eniko for $169, Liliane for $149, Kaori for the same (I paid over $350 in Mayle, alas), Ebba for $179 (but I am not sure I like it after all--I'd get Marion ahead of it), Gia camisoles were $109, the white top with the black sash from pre-fall was either $109 or $119, the black beaded Miko shell was $119. I don't know about the range of sizes but these discounts seemed to have been applied to other lines, like Hannii Y, Lyell, etc. Nobody seemed to be shopping (it was a Friday, admittedly). I wish I had one of you there to tell me whether to get Marion or not.

Sizes appeared to be on the large sizes (8-10) for dresses, but I saw all sizes in tops and I think they had more stock.

I tried Liliane on--it is lovely and has the best skirt. It is very fitted but true to size and the waist is on the high side so it makes your legs look long.

I think I may go back and see if I want either Liliane or Marion. Yesterday wasn't the day for me to feel happy about splurging and so if I miss out and someone else lucks out, then that's good for them too.

Christina said...

Moya, did they have Eniko in smaller sizes? Also, which Barneys did you visit?

http://www.shopdiavolina.com has Asina, Jacinthe in the lavender and they have Marion but the model is wearing the dress backwards! haha When I saw it, I thought it was a different version because it looks good fitted on the model even though it's quite obvious something is wrong. In the lookbook, the model is thin and wears it a bit looser which is how I prefer it.

satine has mayle at 70% off...nothing left in small sizes but they have items mostly in med-lg so you may have to call them to see what's left.

metier has some good shots of resort on their blog...i like the Zoia in the ivory and the zenith is so cute but melia is an absolute must have...also noticed their prices are somewhat lower than others http://metiersf.blogspot.com/

here in dallas, I found another stockist besides vod called sebastian's 214.360.9001

They have TONS of mayle but none of fall was on sale and all the new bags sold out as well as the fall coats. On the sale rack, they had some resort/spring/summer 07 marked at 50%. A lot of medium sizes, 4 and up. I saw a Bebel dress (gorgeous gilded details), Pilar, a few thin tanks and sweaters, a denim romper, some shorts. From spring, they had Evelia in black, Adela, several Camila tops, a black Rocio tank and the Ninel dress. I wanted Evelia to fit so badly but it is cut for a taller, bustier form. There were two in black and saw one for 199. I don't know when they'll mark these down further but you could call and inquire.

I tried on the Melia in 2 and it was like a dream-never had a dress fit me so perfectly. Moya, I agree with you about the flimsy eyelet material on Jemeen but still beautiful. Betto is wonderful but the material doesn't do it justice. They had Astrid but with its volume, I figured it wouldn't flatter my figure so I didn't bother trying it on. I tried the Helen blouse and loved it but not sure about the persimmon color. I wish there wasn't so much black in holiday.

Anyone know when impulse and eluxury will mark down fall? Perhaps after the holidays?

Biscuit said...

wow, thanks christine for all the legwork on mayle! is evelia the one that has the cutouts like the camilla top from that season? i have the camilla top and i love it, it is definitely one of my favorite mayle pieces. i can't believe sebastian has so many older pieces. i also have bebel, but i have to say it is much more beautiful on the hanger. it fits really strangely. i am thinking about selling mine on ebay in the spring.

ok, so i just came back from barneys (the one moya and i go to is on madison ave in nyc) and i agree, the markdowns are completely insane. about 3/4 of the coop floor is discounted, mostly 60-75%. thanks for the tip on jeffrey monteiro; i looked at some pieces and ended up getting a beautiful high-waisted skirt with buttons down the front for $150 (marked down from $500). i also got a price adjustment on the eniko, so i am happy about that. i think the only enikos they had left were size 6s, but you might want to call and check.

moya, i didn't see marion there, but liliane in 8 was still there. the price is really great, but i would say that if you don't love it, wait for other pieces you like better. i'm guessing that mayle had a lot of their spring orders canceled or reduced due to the economy, so i think there will be some sort of sale on holiday and/or resort (of course, this is nothing more than speculation on my part).

la garconne finally made some additional markdowns, but they're still pretty meager. i'm getting to the point that i can't even be bothered to look twice unless something is marked down at least 60%.

not sure when eluxury will make markdowns. i find that impulse seems to sell out of things rather quickly and not too many of the items make it to sale.

Biscuit said...

one more thing-- christina (sorry, i accidently wrote christine in my last two posts), do you recall what sizes sebastian had in the ninel and evelia? thanks!

Moya said...

Thanks for all that research, Christina! I also went to Barneys today, Susie, and I missed Marion. I guess it had to have sold at $139. Mind you, it is similar to Yves on, only Yves is prettier. And I shouldn't try to get the entire fall collection! I am glad you got your markdown on Eniko. I am pleased I have the Paradiso but for the extra $200, I think I should have waited for the Barneys sale--I also paid $200 more for Kaori. Oh well. These things happen.

Bebel fit me strangely too--I wanted to get it when it was on sale in Barneys last year (especially after its appearance on Serena in Gossip Girl), but it isn't cut right. It was baggy in the top and the deep v back isn't balanced right on me so the beading falls over the front of my shoulders and chest.

I have Pilar in a size 2 in ivory--I keep meaning to sell it on ebay. It is lovely--Evan picked up the wrong size at Mayle's sale and we couldn't return it so we just want to recoup our $175! Still we haven't put it up for sale yet.

I want the denim romper--do you know what size it was, Christina? I should contact them about it at some point. Those sold out in NYC immediately.

Evelina didn't fit me either--which was a shame. I loved it but the proportions were all wrong. It definitely needed a bustier form and the waist was too high for me and the hips were all off. It was such a shame as it was so beautiful.

Melia (in 8 and 10) fit me perfectly too, so I guess if you can wear Evelina, Melia won't work--and vice versa!

I loved the Jeffrey Monteiro tops I saw in Barneys--and the skirt Susie got (we must have been in there at the same time). Again, thank you for the tip, Christina. I can see the Mayle influence although his work is more pared down (and more expensive). I liked a black dress they had in Barneys but it was only in size 2. It had great detailing and cut outs.

I am going to wait for markdowns on resort and holiday though. I love Hera, Zora and so much of resort--even the skirt/skort thing--and I'll wait and see what I can get there. I think the continuing financial collapse may mean we can get some great deals.

Moya said...

I also think eluxury markdowns will be starting Feb/March. I got Lilly in August--the day Jane Mayle announced the end of Mayle--and it was around $279 then. By that point, fall was in the store.

Christina said...

Susie, did you see the black peacoat from jeffrey monteiro at barneys?
Sebastians had two of the black Evelia dresses, one was a 4 and the other one may have been a 4 or 6. I tried on the size 4 Evelia and found it to be cut for a taller frame than mine. How tall are you? I'm petite 5'4" with a short torso, smaller bust, all legs so it totally didn't me. I'd say the 4 would fit if you are at least 5'6" and/or have a longer torso, otherwise the dress sits low on the body and would hit in all the wrong places. I tried on Melia in a 2 and it hit me in the waist just right, the correct length-all perfect.
I don't recall what size the Ninel was but it might have been a 4 or a 6. Sorry! I didn't pay attention to sizes once I saw that most of the sale merch was only 50% off. I was surprised to see Evelia at $199, however, the other one wasn't marked as low.
Moya, sorry I can't remember the size of the Josie denim romper. They don't have a working web site so you'll have to call them to inquire. The ladies there are very helpful. You can ask them when they will make further reductions on Mayle. ;)
Also, not familiar with their sale policies so be sure to check first in case sale items are final.

Barneys finally posted some resort on their site so I'm hopeful we will be able to get what we really want when sales begin on holiday and resort.
I emailed Mayle CS for a comprehensive list of stockists so keep your fingers crossed that they will send it. I don't understand why they don't list this info on their site as I'm sure they are being bombarded with requests for sold out items.

Christina said...

saw this on extra tonight...
they featured this actress/singer in the store, Diavolina, trying on the Athena top-very cute

http://www.myspace.com/thefit