Sunday, December 14, 2008

Off to England

While I am not leaving just yet, I did finally get my ticket home for Christmas yesterday. Even with the now strong dollar and weak oil prices, there was only a little change out of $800. Given that this same ticket used to be around $400 a couple of years ago, this price indicates the airline industry continues to run its business in a baffling way. Still, it could have been worse. My 8.45 am flight had sold out so I had to get the 7.45, which only had two seats left. Leaving earlier would have more than doubled the price to over $2,000, so I acted just in time. I'll just be more tired by the trip which means I'll sleep better (hopefully) and have less jetlag once I get to London.

Ironically, the stronger dollar doesn't thrill me. I doubt the sales in London will rival those in NYC, although I might be able to find some of the small European lines that barely make it to US boutiques. I'm interested in seeing if I can find some Heimstone, Isabel Marant and others. As usual, I'll scout Topshop for deals (it is far more hit and miss than most Americans realize--you have to plough through many designer knock offs no better than Forever 21 to hit gold). I want to see what COS has to offer, and rely on my dear friend Sarah to show me what some of the boutiques and smaller designers are doing these days. But in the back of my mind, I'll be thinking about Mayle discounts.

I am annoyed with myself for missing out on Marion in Barneys but wonder if I wanted it or another piece of Mayle for $139. Sure, it fit beautifully, but it was a dress that I didn't originally tag as necessary or even remarkable. And I am sure black wool will pick up Peeps's fur. I'm not sure I need another black dress either, unless it is stunning like Melia or the Lily-type dress from resort. I just hope it went to a good home.

No comments: