Saturday, January 3, 2009

London update



I've spent the past two weeks relaxing, seeing friends and family and eating way too much. English food does not match its reputation: people are obsessed with food but they largely eat at home. English supermarkets are divine. I often wander around in a daze thinking about all the items I want to eat, circling stores repeatedly to the bafflement of my companions. Nobody can believe that the huge American grocery stores seen in all those movies can really be filled with so little of interest and so much that is bad for you. When I lived in Pittsburgh, I swear the only grocery store chain in town (a particularly abject specimen) filled its shelves with potato chips and varieties of cheap cooked meats. I should also add that English deserts, like English chocolate, are particularly sublime and if I don't stop eating them, I'll not be able to fit in any of my clothes.

London is also filled with little patisseries, cafes, concession stands and the like, many with the prettiest macaroons, flans, fruit and chocolate pastries. It's a good job it is a walking city.

I have done little shopping but the sales are good and the exchange rate very favorable (weak pound, strong dollar). Yesterday and today, I tackled the sales, first with my dear friend Sarah in tow, then on my own. Sarah is pictured above. She is a great singer and her first album comes out this spring (www.sarahgillespie.com).

Sarah and I hit Selfridges yesterday and found excellent reductions on underwear, bags, and some contemporary lines. Alas, most of the items that interested me were full price. I also thought that the contemporary selection was not as strong as Barneys, and saved my money for when I returned to NYC. We did, however, see Victoria Beckham's dresses, tellingly placed next to Roland Mouret's RM line. A brief inspection suggests they are clearly from the same mind and producers. Her dresses were tiny and strongly boned. They felt more like costumes than dresses--stiff, unyielding, heavy. I imagine they will last forever but can't imagine they'd be fun to wear.

Sarah and I also tackled some of the high street stores. First, Topshop at Oxford Circus which was hell to get into and unbearably crowded inside. Nothing much appeared to be of interest--they had ripped off Steven Alan's gathered cotton plaid shirts, one of which I was wearing (Sarah commented that they had copies of "my shirt"). I paid $49 for mine at the Outlet last month; Topshop were charging £49 for poor quality knock offs. Other than that, the store was packed with racks of cheaply made sale items, many of them creased and shopworn. Topshop is hit and miss. They sometimes have great items but this wasn't the case today. I also find I don't wear my cheap Topshop finds very often.

We also hit COS, the higher end H&M store clearly influenced by Marni, Dries and Prada. I'd been excited to go there: the higher price points and the beautiful lookbooks had raised my interest even though it's not really my style. Alas, it just looked blah--most pieces looked more suited for older women and the muted colors were the wrong side of drab.

Today, I hit the shops alone (Sarah had a gig and had to rehearse this afternoon). My plan was to go to higher end stores and boutiques--after all, Selfridges impressed me the most yesterday. I wanted to go to Browns and Matches (two higher end stores that supposedly stock Mayle) and end up at Harvey Nichols, perhaps the nearest thing to a Barneys in the UK, another Mayle stockist, and the store much loved by Ab Fab's Patsy and Eddie. Browns was rather unimpressive--I think the uber-high end labels mixed with smatterings of Phillip Lim (improbably most highly regarded in the UK right now) appeared stale in the same way as Zirna Kabete, except the people in Browns were nice, unlike the snooty staff in ZB. I asked about Mayle and they had no idea what I was talking about but they were very sweet about it. Finding nothing in Browns, I headed down South Moulton Street (a street reminiscent of Madison Avenue in terms of its stores, if not its appearance), popping into Whistles (a grown up Topshop), All Saints (a new British store that seemed to have an identity crisis--part goth, part deconstructed oatmeal sweaters, part ersatz Vivienne Westwood) and ended up at Fenwicks. I've never been impressed with this store--it is poorly laid out and its buyers consider Tracey Reese cutting edge. I didn't change my opinion today.

I couldn't find Matches, so I headed off to Harvey Nicks and went looking for Mayle. I hit paydirt in the 70% off section on the third floor. They had Pitsula in cream, Pina in ivory, Leda in almond, Bebel and Zandi. I know that Bebel looks awful on me, but I tried on the rest. Pitsula looked as bad on in the cream color as it did in the floral, Zandi was horrible on me--I confess that I didn't like the print at all and always thought this was one of Jane Mayle's rare misfires. Pina was disappointing in ivory--it was the wrong shade for my skin--so I crossed it off my wishlist. I'd come close to getting Leda last April in Mayle's sale and today, it came home with me. As I went to pay, I noticed a slight lipstick stain at the top and got another £10 reduction. It was £120, which should be about $170 or so at the current exchange rate. I am very happy with my find--it will work well with a t-shirt underneath as well as on its own. If anybody knows how to remove a lipstick stain (albeit a barely visible one) from a cotton dress, I'd love to hear your tips.

Alas, Harvey Nicks did not carry recent Mayle collections--and I suspect few London retailers do. It appears resort 07 was the last line stocked as there were no traces of more recent items. I happen to think Mayle's resort and holiday lines are amongst her strongest so I was happy to get a dress that I had on my wishlist.

Tomorrow, Sarah and I are planning to get breakfast and hit a few boutiques. I feel I should look for European labels but I'm no longer an expert in London retail and can't seem to find much Isabel Marant, APC or other smaller, interesting lines. Finding Mayle took some work too, but I am happy, if largely spent out for this vacation.

Incidentally, I have lived in my Steven Alan gathered and reverse seam shirts, Inhabit cashmere sweaters, Earnest Sewn jeans and denim skirt and Odette coat this vacation, with occasional dress days where Pina, Eniko and Mariya have come out to play. When I get home, I'm heading over to Steven Alan to see what's new in the outlet and I'm hoping that I can get the LC Tuttle sandals that are on sale in Bird as well as any reduced Mayle items in Barneys and the-soon-to-be-much-missed Elizabeth St. store. I swear, then, I will be on a shopping freeze for a long time. At the very least, I will try.

8 comments:

Christina said...

Glad you are having a lovely time in London. I would love to visit London someday. I agree with you about the American supermarkets. One has to be highly creative to gather quality/healthy ingredients and quite difficult to find anything that hasn't been processed or preserved. I prefer our local farmers' market and whole foods. Last year I grew some of my own delicious organic vegetables which gave me peace of mind knowing where my food came from and that no chemicals or pesticides were added.

Moya, I'm happy you found Leda on sale-it's a nice shade and the details are amazing. I finally own Odette and I love it! I called the shop in Nolita and they had one navy left in my size at $400 plus the overpriced shipping. The week before, I found the Odette from heijfina for $317 and ordered it-no tax, free shipping. The shop girl said it was black so I assumed it was the wool version but when it arrived, I was pleasantly surprised to have received the tweed. The metallic threads bugged me at first but I loved the details and overall color so I'm keeping it. It's a unique coat and probably one of the harder pieces to find. I also got the billie doux in tweed from shopbop for about $177 with cash back via lucky rewards. Lucky rewards works for eluxury.com as well so be sure to sign up to save. I'm all shopped out but I'm still keeping an eye out for 70% off.
So far, heijfina, barneys and satine have Mayle at 70% while others are 30-50%.

here is odessa's stock from susan:

Mayle on sale at 50% off:
Marion dress size 0
Jeanne knit dress in ivory, XS,S
Cecile blouse, size 0, 4
Amandine skirt, size 2
Loulou knit in ivory S,M,L
Veva dress, size 6, 8
Loulou knit in black, Size M,L

I would have loved Veva but it's sold out in my size. Has anyone been to Opening Ceremony in NY? The LA store has fall marked 30-40%.

erica said...

christina-
do you know how much the veva is at odessa?

bird has the yves checker top in dove for $239, size 6, if anyone is interested.


moya--
i'm glad you got the Leda. i must admit shopping in paris was a bit dull without any lines as good as Mayle to look at.

Christina said...

Erica,
Susan didn't give me exact prices but I imagine Veva would be around $250-$270...bird sold out so fast as soon as it was marked down 50%. Does Louis Boston still carry Mayle?

Christina said...

currently on ebay for $150 and ends this weekend:
Vanya in 8
Ana Claudia in 8
Lucila in 6
Rosamelia in 8

Moya said...

Thanks for the detailed info, Christina. I'm now back and have to look into what Barneys have this week. If time permits, I'll go into Mayle. Alas, while I was away, I missed the shopbop bag reductions because of the time difference/time on the plane and in transit. I had Jeanne in my bag at $147 but it sold before I could type in my details.

I called Hejifina and they were out of Odette entirely--that was a great deal, Christina. I'm glad you got both coats and that your patience paid off.

Opening Ceremony NY doesn't stock Mayle, alas, so I have no idea what they'll have left in LA.

Erica, I think Veva was around $260 at Odessa. I hope you had a great holiday.

Biscuit said...

happy new year everyone! and welcome home, moya.

wow, christine, those are fantastic finds! i had no idea hejfina was even still carrying mayle. do you know if they have other items left? also, it sounds like the nolita shop must have had further markdowns on fall. i think they will probably decide soon whether they are going to have one final sample sale, as february and the demise of the shop grow closer.

impulse had some resort pieces on sale (jemeen, betto, maybe one or two others), but i don't know if they sold out of those pieces yet.

moya, congrats on finding leda. i own it and it always receives lots of compliments!

Moya said...

Hi Susie! Happy New Year!

I emailed Hejifina and they only have the items on their website (clearly they used to have other stock). They still have the belts from fall but they are full price :(.

Are you up for visiting the Mayle store together? It does sound like new markdowns are in place and maybe some returned stock. I'm curious to see what they have although, like everybody, I am fairly short on cash.

erica said...

christina-

louis usually carries mayle. when i checked last fall, they only had a few pieces. that might have been before the holiday and resort shipments, though.

now everything is marked down 60% at Louis. i might go to the shop later today. was hoping for a cheap pair of repettos.

it looks like Hush is having a sale starting Thursday, 50-75% off regular priced merchandise. hopefully that includes Mayle? it looks like they have mostly small sizes.
Astrid-2
Billie Doux-sable
Claudie-6 melba
Dezra-2 ivory
Ebba-2, 4, marine
Gia cami-S, M, marine
Hilaire-2, 4, 6, black
Lena-2, black
Nia skort-4, 6
Vita pant-2, 4, 6, 8