Monday, December 8, 2008

Sunday Shopping

In a great change from my usual Sunday routine of grading/writing, I met up with Erica (ahistoryofarchitecture.blogspot.com) and her husband Matthew in Fort Greene/Clinton Hill to shop. We started at the Mociun/Brooklyn designers sale which was held in a third floor apartment in a brownstone. There was a small but good selection of merchandise. I was most attracted by some prints and Sian Keegan stuffed animals but passed as I already have a lot of prints that I have yet to frame and a lot of Christmas presents still to buy. Most of the Mociun stock was in smaller sizes--I loved their t-shirts but had not brought cash with me.

We then headed into Manhattan, starting at the Steven Alan outlet on the Upper West Side. I got two cotton gathered shirts (for $49 each). They mainly had larges, and I would have bought more but I've been horribly extravagant this month and have to start cutting back. From there, we headed down to Soho, hoping to find a storefront gallery that Matthew wanted to see. As we didn't have the address and time was getting late, we ended up walking over to Nolita and up to Mayle to check resort out in person. I vowed not to get anything, yet, although I have to admit to being sorely tempted once I walked in.

Alas, Jacinthe had practically sold out in the lavender/tan. I had no idea that my favorite dress would be equally loved by Mayle's customer base. It only came in 0-6 and ran small. The lavender was a gauzy fabric and I loved it. I wonder if the tan wouldn't work against my fair-pinky skin, but maybe I was just trying to make myself feel better. It also came in the paisley, which I loved, so I hoped that would work, but that dress did not come in sizes larger than a 6. It was a big disappointment, but, again, I don't really have $600 spare to spend on a single dress right now. Erica tried on a few things, including the Mirabelle dress in black which was beautiful. I tried on Asina, which was nice, but the white cotton bib hung stiffly and distorted the soft drapery of the top. I loved Melia, which is a lot shorter than it appears in the lookbook and was underwhelmed by Jemeen. It runs very big and the fabric feels a little flimsy, even cheap. I think I would get it on sale but I'd need a 6 or even a 4. Astrid is beautiful--I didn't try it on but it evidently runs large as well.

I also tried on Hera and the other black lace blouse from holiday (nobody was paying attention to that rack--clearly resort is more wearable, prettier and, of course, new). Hopefully that means discounts. I loved Hera, but it is nearly $600. I hope I can get it on sale. Along with Zora, and maybe the dress pants, I think that would be all I need from holiday. For resort, I'd like Melia, maybe Asina and the black Mirabelle. I'd also be interested in the Dazra top in black but I didn't try it on. Much of the collection comes in multiple fabrics--virtually everything is available in plain black. There are also some more pieces from holiday, including Zora in persimmon. It is all very lovely--except Betto and the Phoebe top which are very disappointing in person. The sweatshirt fabric is too heavy and the navy blue looks like the denim-look sweatshirt/jersey fabric used to make the denim look-alike leggings sold in cheap clothing stores. I was very surprised. If they were in regular cotton, these could have been lovely.

The sandals currently on display are all samples--the real thing should be in soon. They are a reissue of an earlier cork-heeled t-strap wedge. They are also remaking an ankle and knee high boot, evidently square-toed with an oxford detailing. The sandals are $295, the boots will be around $500 and $800. She decided against remaking the clogs, which is a shame. I have a pair and they are pretty and comfortable. All the accessories this season replace sweaters--there are none for resort or holiday, so Aiko was one of the last.

As we left Mayle, Erica and I mused about what would be reduced. I think there will be another sale, especially as all fall and pre-fall has been packed away (although I think it can still be ordered online). I think Betto will be left, and Jemeen, and maybe some of the separates. Certainly nobody tried on the romper!

I left Erica and Matthew at their subway stop. I really enjoyed meeting them--and I hope I didn't talk and walk too much, or monopolize their afternoon. It was so great to meet somebody whose work and taste I've admired afar from a long time and find out that they are just as lovely, smart, stylish, interesting and creative in person. It was, in short, a really great afternoon and one I hope we can repeat sometime in the not too distant future.

3 comments:

Biscuit said...

this sounds like so much fun! glad you guys had a pleasant afternoon despite the freezing weather!

Moya said...

We did! You and I should also get together soon. I got my passport this morning so I will get a chance to see my family for Christmas!

erica said...

we had a great time meeting up with you! i hope we're able to find a few resort pieces on sale soon. i am holding out for the Mirabelle in black since i don't really own any black dresses.

the Hera was perfect on you. i wish i had the been able to try it on, but avec belly, very few tops look nice on me right now.

we made it home in record time (thanks to matthew's driving). i have a feeling those silk gathered SA shirts will be on further markdowns soon, so perhaps i'll pick one up later.

my SA top arrived, but i can't do it justice right now. i'll post pictures of that along with a few baby shower photos (the Eniko) soon.