Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Oliver Postgate, R.I.P.




I just read in the British papers that Oliver Postgate, co-creator of Bagpuss and Pogle's Wood, among other of my childhood favorites, died today at 83. In the UK, Postgate and his creative partner, Peter Firmin, are/were renowned for their amazing children's programs, the like of which never could exist in the US for myriad cultural and economic/institutional reasons.

Bagpuss (pictured above) was voted the best ever children's program in England even though there are only 13 episodes. I loved it as a little girl and when we were in college, my friends and I continued to adore it. My undergrad college, The University of Kent and Canterbury, gave Oliver Postgate an honourary degree the year we graduated (that's Bagpuss in his cap and gown from that day, also shown above with Postgate). Unlike in the US, this wasn't widely promoted so when Oliver Postgate stood up to give his hysterically funny speech and then pulled out Bagpuss from a wicker basket, complete with his cap and gown, my Dad says the whole side of Canterbury Cathedral where we grads to be (or graduands in the British parlance) sat, rushed up and gasped in joy.

When I was far smaller, I watched a show called Pogle's Wood, so old that it was telecast in black and white. It was about the King of the Fairies' son who was being looked after by this older couple and his seemingly half-cat, half-squirrel friend, Tog. They lived in a wood and there was magic and witchcraft around, so it was both adorable and scary, leavened with a dose of British humor. I barely remember the show but I loved it and was always so sad when the end credits arrived--a note bearing the legend "An Oliver Postgate Smallfilm" which blew through the woods. I had a Pippin and Tog pinafore when I was 2 (and liked to think that there was some magic there if I touched the pocket) and my brother subscribed to the Pippin comic which I made sure to read.

Last year, as part of my Christmas present (along with the constant selection box, Viz annual and other small gifts), my brother Giles got me the Bagpuss anthology, a book with a soft Bagpuss on the cover and all the stories. Evan's holding it in the photo above. I'm sure many other people, 4-40 got the same gift. There is something so perfectly British about Bagpuss and the other Postgate-Firmin shows, each 15 minutes of sweetness, fair play, decency, eccentricity and humor.

So, rest in peace, Mr. Postgate and thank you for so much magic.

3 comments:

erica said...

i've never heard of him or his creations. we miss out on so much here in the states. bagpuss is very adorable, though. i will have to look on youtube for old episodes.

Biscuit said...

this is a great post! i have also never heard of bagpuss but will have to investigate. i love british children's literature, especially roald dahl.

Christina said...

never heard of him but he is undeniably cute...my nephew would probably love him.