Monday, August 30, 2010

Back to School

While I'm not quite back to teaching yet, the semester has begun in many other ways. Today I had a 10-12 meeting. I spent the weekend writing syllabi and gathering materials (books, dvds, etc.), a task I continue today, Then I have to activate the Blackboard portions of each class, post materials and syllabi and generally get back to teaching--something that will take its toll on my writing. 

Furthermore, our professional organization's annual conference submission deadline is Wednesday. After I've finished with this syllabus, I think I'm going to have to cut down the chapter fragment I'm submitting into a short proposal.

All this tells me fall is around the corner, yet the sun is blazing down and it is 90 degrees out there. I am probably not the only person who wishes it was still early summer. I love my students and I love teaching, but I also like the summer--long days, fresh fruit, warm breezes--and the freedom it gives me to write.

No comments: