Thursday, January 15, 2009

Barneys Finds


I guess I missed most of the deals while I was in England, because there was very little stock in Barneys. The entire Mayle and Lyell remnants were on a single rack--and it wasn't full. Julie at Barneys was great, collecting all the size 8 and 10s for me, but there wasn't much to deal with. She said Mayle had sold quickly once it had gone on sale as it was the final collection. I have a feeling the Elizabeth Street store won't have huge reductions and will be pretty picked over, but there may be some items left. I'll post what I find when I go there, maybe later today on the way to meet Evan (we have to go to Macy's to get a new comforter) and he has to go into work. He knows I am watching my spending because of the IVF so I don't want to look irresponsible.

First of all, the Eunice pants run very large--I tried on a ten and could have got them on and off without unbuttoning them. I needed maybe a 6. It was a shame because I imagine they would have looked great otherwise. The fabric has quite a bit of stretch in it, so maybe a 4 may have even worked. It was disappointing but that's sale shopping.

Olympia is a great dress--on the hanger. I am tall and flat chested. It made me look stocky as there is so much draping around the chest. Enough said. I think you have to be a model to carry this one off. Certainly, I rarely look stocky or chunky on top.

The only other items in my size was Penilope (size 8) which I bought. It is soft, fits and drapes really well and I can imagine it will work well in the summer as it isn't silk. Also, for $109, I couldn't say no.

Basically, I missed the boat. I imagine these reductions were in place over the weekend when I was so jetlagged I thought I was in England and tried explaining American TV to Evan (who is from Long Island) as I was surprised to see American commercials. Maybe it was for the best I didn't go shopping then.

As for other sizes, if you are a size 4 or 0, the white pre-fall top is in stock. There are blue Gia camisoles. Size 0-4 Rex pants from resort are also plentiful and Miho tops. One Ebba in black, size 8 (this dress didn't work on me as it was too baggy in the chest and too narrow on the hips).

I did break my vow and spend some money, though. I tried on two Lyell items--the black silk A-line skirt with scalloped insert detailing from holiday (reduced from $435 to $129). It draped beautifully, has great details and will be a great basic. It was one of those pieces I didn't want to get--I wanted to save the money for Mayle, but it worked so well it made me rethink my recent disappointments with Lyell. As did the top above. It is less silky--I think it is a medium-heavy silk-wool crepe--and it drapes beautifully. It was $179, which is a lot, reduced from $585, but I loved it and will wear it forever.

I will post pictures of these and other finds as I get my camera to work (still trying to work out the logistics of taking my own photos as I cannot turn off my flash).

So, I am beginning to resign myself to getting very little from the last two Mayle collections. I hope I can pick up a couple of pieces and it would be great if Hera, Zora, Melia and the Rex pants were among them, but I'm not particularly optimistic about this. Still, in a week I have my first appointment to see if I can get IVF, and a baby is a far higher priority than clothes. At this point, I'm trying to be positive and thus enjoying my body and clothing while I can. Hopefully, I'll be pregnant soon and living in Steven Alan shirts and maternity denim.

3 comments:

erica said...

beautiful lyell top!

i agree, traveling over the holidays meant missing out on a lot of the sales.

it's too bad about Olympia, but Penilope will be a versatile piece. you can't beat that price, certainly.

well, back to writing and sorting through my images. maybe i'll brave the negative temps and stop by Louis to see if there's any Mayle left. thank goodness they have a parking lot.

Moya said...

Good luck with the work and with Louis. Let us know what you find. I have to finish my chapter by tomorrow so I'll have to really hunker down. Thankfully, the cold will keep me indoors for most of the weekend.

Stay warm!

joyce said...

moya -- quick question: what size did you get in the lyell circle top? i have a chance at a size 6 but their sizing is so small sometimes. thanks!