Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Getting organized

I suppose this is one of my de facto New Year's resolutions. I'm trying to use my jetlag gainfully by getting up early and dealing with those niggling problems first thing rather than letting them pile up. This morning, I got up at 7, ordered my books for the semester (way too late but I wanted to change one title and spent too long thinking about it). I then dealt with the issue of my missing health insurance membership cards which has troubled me since I returned. I changed to an insurer who covers 75% of IVF, but didn't receive any cards. This wasn't so troubling when I left for the UK in December, but it was when I returned to no cards. The only saving grace was one of those post office forms, but that turned out to be a Christmas gift. The old Moya would have panicked and called her health insurer/HR only a day before her appointment. The new one called at 9.30 this morning, as they opened, and was reassured with the good news that all is fine and the cards must have been lost in transit.

The old me would have celebrated this by rushing off to Bird and Barneys. Good for blogging, perhaps, but not so much for my overall goals: finish book, get pregnant, get a more stable job (hopefully this means keeping the one I have right now). Instead, I'm going to work on the book today. Hopefully I can finish it before school starts and get to Barneys and Bird.

Also, on a related note. Eluxury is going to discontinue e-commerce and become a luxury blog/magazine, as you likely already know. I'm wondering when this will lead to sales. All their fall Mayle is full price, even though many items have not really sold. I imagine there's a large group of us who check in daily in case items on our wishlists are reduced, only to find everything is still full price. A few months ago, I guesstimated they'd start reductions in January, maybe February. But that was before the economic collapse. I would get a Jeanne bag in loden, a Billie Doux in black, a couple of fall blouses, and my resort-holiday pieces as part of a final sale splurge, but nothing appears to be forthcoming. Totokaelo have started their reductions on resort, but I hope the Mayle store has more reductions. I'm not optimistic as their online shop appears to have sold out of many items, even Bebbo in size 10 (a dress that I can't imagine many people wanting given the unfortunate choice of fabric).

That said, I am trying to be a good girl and save more for what promises to be an expensive, volatile and possibly difficult, possibly thrilling year. I was restrained yesterday. An ebay auction for the Vanya dress in pink, size 8, finished yesterday. I was tempted to bid, especially as nobody else had shown interest, but I reminded myself that this dress runs small in the back--I really needed a 10. I had also dismissed it after trying it on in Barneys as a little poofy and odd on my body. So, I let it go and someone else got it for the listed price ($150). And I feel a little pride in my restraint that will be all the greater if I do a significant chunk of writing today.

1 comment:

erica said...

the new erica doesn't eat out, keeps her budget up-to-date, and gets up at 7 every morning in order to start writing at 9. granted, i've only written 16 pages in 6 days, but i'm trying my best to make up for lost time (i.e. too much teaching). less blogging, more writing.

i didn't make any resolutions either, but clearly there were habits that needed to change. it sounds like you're doing a good job so far, too.

i am so excited for you and your imminent adventures in IVF. i know it will likely be difficult and frustrating, but i'm hoping it won't be overly so for your sake.

i was bad and bought a marc by marc jacobs twill winter coat ($230) on ebay. i wanted something sturdy and longer than the barbour to replace my shabby Built By Wendy coat.

Mayle on ebay has been all over the map, lately, but overpriced in general.

it would be great if Totokaelo marked down the Mayle more. the Aiko in sable is still way too much. if it were at least half off, i would maybe consider it. but i do have to buy a stroller, too.

babies? clothing? babies.