Monday, January 12, 2009

Basics from the sales

I fought off the jet-lag, cleaning and work to do a little shopping on Saturday. I have yet to make it to Barneys, Mayle or Bird. Evan advised me that J. Crew had some decent sales (he was so thrilled with his two pairs of $12 chinos that he went back for a third pair) and suggested shopping. This is not that common as he's more interested in music and sports, so I was obviously happy to go along.

J.Crew has 30% off final reductions--plus another 15% off for students and all teachers/faculty. I found a black cashmere turtleneck in the reduced pile. While priced at $159, it was actually $59 and with the extra percentages, it came to just over $35. I also got pajama bottoms for $17. The sweater is a basic and while I'd like it to have longer sleeves (I have long arms) and be more form fitting, it will get worn a lot. I nearly bought an orange wool skirt but decided it was too long and not ideal.

Club Monaco also had 40% off all sale items. I was not impressed with their fall collections this year, but they do have some good cashmere--usually the holiday line that runs more expensive and has more style than the standard v-necks. Last year I snagged my favorite cardigan there--a double breasted, shawl collared long jacket style that I live in. For the $149 I paid, it was a bargain (I think it was originally nearly $400). I didn't see anything as great this year, but they had a couple of promising items, one of them a very long cardigan with interesting thick buttons and a double placket. They only had them left in orange and pink, so I got the orange which was down from $249 to $69 with another 40% off making it $41.40 (I think). I also got a big red cashmere scarf/wrap for $35 and a pair of elbow-length cashmere gloves for just over $11.

Despite this haul, there were slim pickings. I had to look hard for what I wanted (my scarf was a unisex item I found in the men's department and was the only one left that wasn't neon yellow or winter white). The stock in the women's area must have sold out while I was away.

I am not convinced I'll find much else in Barneys or elsewhere. The listings on ebay suggest some (delusional) vendors are buying up old Mayle stock and trying to get insanely high prices ($450 for dresss from summer 08) on the grounds that this is the last collection. I think the Ebba and Liliane dresses and Miho tops that litter ebay right now are straight from Barneys with some shopper thinking this is a way to clean up. I don't think there are that many buyers out there right now, what with the credit crunch and all that.

On another note, I have to clean out my closet and clear out my room. I can't spend much this year, but I can make my spaces nicer and I have too many books, papers, and clothes that I don't need. I want to create an atmosphere that is hopeful and bright, where I can be organized and hopefully prepare for a baby as well as for my next book. Evan keeps his desk relatively uncluttered and I have to do the same.

4 comments:

erica said...

interesting that j.crew is now offering the student/faculty discount on sale items. i didn't find that to be the case 8 months ago, but that just goes to show you how bad the economy is. it sounds like now is a good time to stock up on basics.

80% off at saks, but very little interest on my part. plus, our saks is very uninspired.

ever since we returned from paris, our house looks like a disaster site. both of us are furiously at work on papers, so stacks of books and articles everywhere! we're going to do major reorganizing once matthew turns in his paper. my work, alas, is never done. i won't have the satisfaction of turning in a completed project for at least another 1.5 years.

good luck with the housecleaning. i agree that it's incredibly helpful to have a bright and tidy workspace. although, sitting at a basement, windowless library carrel gets the job done, too. probably because there are so few distractions?

almost time for lunch, the highlight of my morning!

glad to hear you were equally enamoured with pains au chocolat! i could eat 3 a day...

Unknown said...

hello moya,

i am trying to track down the mayle justinian dress (f/w 08-09) in a size 4 (or something close). i am going to the inaugural ball in a week and a half and would absolutely love to be twirling around in such a beautiful dress. i've tried bird, jumelle, barneys, etc etc and of course the mayle shop. no luck!

have you happened to come across it elsewhere, in your wanderings?

thanks for any insight,
sid

Moya said...

Sid--they have it on sale at Bird (www.shopbird.com) in Brooklyn--in size 8 only, alas. I'd also call Barney's Co-Op in the flagship store in Manhattan on Madison Ave in case they had any returned--their stock seems to vary and I think they ship all the Mayle here after reductions start. I might go in tomorrow and I'll look for you. You might want to ask for Randall in Barneys and see if he can help you.

You should also call Opening Ceremony in LA as they stock a lot of Mayle. Alas, the NYC branch has none. V.O.D. in Dallas may also have it.

Have fun at the inauguration--that is so wonderful. And Justinian is the ideal dress to wear. Keep us posted on everything. I will keep an eye out for the size 4 for you.

Moya said...

Sidra--in the event you see this, Mayle has Justinian in stock now in size 4, 30% off.