Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Uncertainty


While waiting for Mayle reductions and checking in on my auction on Ebay I saw a dress I've seen up there several times. She's black, Mayle and seems a little unwanted--possibly because she is a few years old and has that bias-cut chiffon feel from the early 2000s. But now she's under a $100 she might find a home, maybe with me. The issue is, do I really want this or is it just that itch to buy, specifically to buy Mayle, that I want to scratch. I am being patient--any day now, I will receive an email stating Mayle is up to 40% off Fall. Or one that says pre-Fall is now 60% off (when I will get Ebba in blue (as pictured above), if there are any left in size 8--I doubt I need a 10 in a backless dress with an A-line skirt). I may even plunge for Eniko so I can get the paradise coloring, and who knows what else. So, in the minus column, that's $100 plus shipping towards something I really want and love as opposed to plunging for something that's just uh. So I just talked myself out of the unwanted dress. And I may lose my other auction too. Who knows. I realize I have to wait it out and despite my claims of being good at deferred gratification, the deferral has been getting to me of late.

There is too much uncertainty out there right now in my life. What will happen with the job? Children? This damn book? And, of least importance, what Mayle from Fall and Resort/Holiday will wend its way home with me? But I feel surprisingly calm--it's as though I realize I can't control all or any of these things. Before I buckle down to work, I'm basking in the love of my cats. Peeps is snuggling up to me on my left while Blue snoozes on my right. The sun is shining perhaps a little too hard on my computer. I get to see The Sea and Cake tonight--and pay for it with a lack of sleep (I teach at 9 am and won't get home until after midnight, so with an hour commute, I'm definitely looking at 6 hours sleep top). I have a pile of final papers to grade--first drafts--two job letters to write, a chapter to edit and some lectures and exams to print up. But somehow it will get done. Especially if I sign off now and try not to disturb either sleeping cat.

3 comments:

erica said...

i agree with passing on the ebay mayle dress. best to save that money for other things, including more coveted mayle items on sale. and babies!

please do let me know when the shop marks down its more recent collections. the ebba in blue is super gorgeous, but just not the right silhouette for me.

odessa marked down its mayle (30%), and i was tempted to buy the Veva dress, but i think i'll wait. i do love the print.

i think i'll wait until Thea is in the $300 range.

it sounds like you're even more swamped than me. it's amazing how being pregnant can have you feeling both insanely stressed and calm at the same time. well, calm is not the right word. people have described pregnancy (especially toward the end) as being underwater. and even though i haven't gained much weight, i do feel slower, more methodical, less rushed about life. goodness knows we're going to have much to contend with in just a few months.

Moya said...

Of course I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything from Mayle. It's crazy because there are so many sales going on in NYC. It seems as though everybody has started their first markdowns, even Lyell who usually markdown the latest of all.

I am swamped but I am not getting everything done. I keep hoping that I can get pregnant and that occupies way too much of my time. I just so want it to happen that I keep fantasizing that every twinge means something when likely it does not. I know so much about pregnancy right now--more than I would have had it just happened. That and Mayle are two very big distractions--too much so--in my life!

Biscuit said...

i definitely agree that you should pass on the ebay dress, although i know exactly how you feel. i am often tempted by things i really do not want on ebay, just because i get caught up in the excitement of stalking and bidding. i have an ebay tip for you, though, for buy-it-now items. you can get a certain percentage of cash back if you link to ebay through live.com, purchase something using buy-it-now, and open a cashback account (or if you have a hotmail account, that works). right now it's at 25%. So if you buy something on ebay using buy-it-now, linking through live.com, after the 25% cashback is processed (60 days) it gets paid to your paypal account. i know this sounds like spam, but i have used it and it is legit! i got 25% of the purchase price of a Mayle Basia a couple months back. i think if you google it you can find some more details on it.

keeping my fingers crossed for you on your other non-Mayle endeavors, too! as for mayle, i will keep you posted if i find any good sales (though i suspect you are looking just as hard as i am). some of the stuff on her website is on sale (including ebba), but it's only at 40% off.