Monday, November 10, 2008

The Sea and Cake



This fall is proving to be a great season for music, if not for shopping. I picked up tickets today for tomorrow's The Sea and Cake concert. Along with Stereolab, they are my favorite band. I saw them twice last year, the second time in Greenpoint when they were amazing. I wonder if the atmosphere there and its Polish influence reminded them of their hometown, Chicago, as they seemed inspired. Greenpoint reminds me of Chicago and the concert was in an old Polish working men's club. They sold books of Sam Prekop's photography, which I regret not buying in retrospect. Most of the band are artists too, and I am planning to get an Eric Claridge painting once the tour is over. I'm sure the last thing he needs right now is dealing with emails about commissions. His Cat and Chair painting is shown above--I love his style and the little cat reminds me of my naughty Blue, seen here in a rare moment of calm snuggling on the couch.

As for clothing, I am bidding on a Mayle shirt on ebay. Or, rather, I should say, I've been outbid and am trying to be patient and bid again near to the deadline so I can get it for less.

I'm counting down the days until Mayle goes on sale, although I am so sad that this also brings me nearer to her shop and line closing down. I am obsessed. I have so much work to do and yet I browse the online listings checking sizes (most don't stock 8-10 but those sizes appear to have sold out on her holiday items), looking at the details and wondering if I should just go for Thea, Theodora, etc. for full price. Then my conscience and intelligence kicks in. I cannot afford to spend thousands on items that may go on sale anyway. After all, the pieces that come up most often on ebay seem to be from resort/holiday '07. Let's just hope there are sale items for me, Erica and Susie--and the pieces/sizes we want--at the prices we want to pay for them.

2 comments:

erica said...

It's scary to think how quickly Mayle pieces add up! I still remember the day when I bought a Marni skirt for $550 and thought my world was coming to an end. Amazing how my tolerance for expensive price tags has changed over the years...

Lucky you, going to The Sea and Cake concert! I bet they're wonderful live...

There's a lovely pair of Isabel Marant Akota boots on ebay that I've been considering, but who knows how high the price will go. I'm such a clutz, though, I should probably stay away from anything with a heel.

Ebay has been frustrating in terms of Mayle, though. Nothing in my size that I'd like, but I'm still not willing to pay full price for the Thea. I really can't justify it right now, especially with all these new expenses to cover (doula, fridge, air purifier, etc....).

I hope the writing/editing is going well. I'm zipping through these midterms as quickly as possible. Thank goodness they aren't as time consuming as papers.

Moya said...

The Sea and the Cake are great live--they are amazing musicians and I like the fact that they keep doing their thing--music, art--even though they can't be making a fortune from it.

I agree with you about the cost of clothes, especially given you have the baby coming. If I didn't hope to have a child, and maybe having to resort to fertility treatments like IVF, I might think it was a time to splurge, but I just can't do it. I figure that someone will have Thea for 40% off soon, maybe 60%. I'd spend $300 on her, but I can't stretch any further. Savings are not really for dresses.

It seems that everybody who is selling Mayle on Ebay has a size 2 or 4, especially if it is a new item (somebody had holiday 08 pants and a skirt but they were in size 2, probably from a photo shoot). There's so much old stuff--and it seems to be really old--cluttering up the listings, along with non-Mayle items. Rarely is there anything in an 8 or 10 that I might like, and clearly other people are also interested. I think that people are holding onto their clothes, either in the hope of getting more for them or because they can't afford new ones.

I am so swamped. My midterms are papers and I have to return them Friday as the students have to rewrite them. I just don't have any time and I can't really justify not working on my book to grade, but I have no alternative.