Thursday, November 20, 2008

Mayle Sale Report

As Susie suggested yesterday, the clothes are going fast. I just got back and can report that it looks like there will be no further reductions because they won't have anything left to sell. Holiday is already blitzed: Theodora has completely sold out in Persimmon and in the black (there were very limited numbers in Persimmon). Thea in Putty is also sold out and another black dress (not Hera) has also sold out. Another beauty (whose name I don't have) has only one size 2 and one 4 left. There is only one Zora top left in 10 (which I would have bought had I not vowed to purchase only sale merchandise). Most of the pants have gone, as have the skirts. I don't really know if they have enough stock to stay open until February and anticipate that even with the recession, there will be few discounts. I also noted that they weren't burning their signature Votivo Redcurrent candle--just a faint smell was left, which really made me feel this was the beginning of the end. I may never actually purchase anything from there again, and if I do, it will be in very limited amounts.

I got there shortly after they opened at noon, and there were already three people in the changing rooms. The manager confirmed they were very busy yesterday--many styles (including practically all the blouses) are completely sold out. I got Odette in navy (really more an air force blue) in size 8, Aurelie in black, size 10, Kaori in 8 (Tama was too high necked and very 1970s so it looked a bit drab) and the last size 8 Eniko in Paradiso--10 had sold out. I tried on Ebba, and I really need a 10 as the skirt was tight in the hips so I passed. I also tried Helen in persimmon--I need a 10--this runs a little small but it is lovely and I know I won't own it because it will sell out; Zora in black, size 10 (last one--lovely and I hope I can find it on eluxury); Hera in size 8--lovely but $595 is a lot for a t-shirt fabric dress; Thea in black--I definitely need a 10 and doubt I'll buy it as it will sell out and the detail is lost in black. I also tried Zeta, the glittery top with the t-shirt underneath which may be the softest item ever. It ran big--a 6 was ample--and I would have bought it, Hera, the black lace blouse with the ties and Helen if they hadn't been full price (all are Holiday 08).

Judging from the pictures, Resort is beautiful too--there is another putty dress that I've got my eye on, a black and white fluttery blouse and the most beautiful lavender and tan dress.

I will post photos later--I have to find the right cord to download my photos to my laptop. But I am sitting here in Odette right now, wishing it was warm enough to wear Eniko and Kaori. The fabrics this season were of a very high quality--the textured silk used in the Paradiso dresses was heavenly and doesn't come across in photos. It has a vintage Asian upholstery feel--and I mean that in a really positive way.

Also, the manager mentioned that Opening Ceremony in LA may have some of the resort left, along with Satine and maybe Fred Segal/Ron Herman.

Addendum: From my memory, this was what was left and on sale (I'm using the lookbook to list this). Aiko sweater in black, rose and tan; Satchi jacket in Paradiso (I nearly got this in an 8, the biggest size left--it is a little like a motorcycle jacket, a little like a blouse, but ultimately it wasn't me); Miho top; Mitsuko top in black and ivory paradiso, Ayame sweater in black and tan; Mitsu dress in ivory paradiso and black; Veva in black; Aurelie top; Marie-Laure pants; Ludovine coat in black and birdseye; Olympe coat in black and natural; Odette in Navy (but very limited sizes/stock); Tama dress (8 is the biggest); Ninon cardigan in black/white and tan/white; Loulou sweaters in ivory, black and rose; Riri cardigan in rose and ivory; Marion dress; Cecile blouse in black; Jeanne sweater in ivory and rose; Emanuelle jacket (although I think this isn't on sale); Liliane dress and Laetitia skirts in rose and black.Ebba and Hilaire aren't on the floor but they do have them in the back.

Most of these are not available in all sizes. All the plaid (Yves dress, Mitchi and Mariko tops) are long gone; all the Eden print items too. No Odette in black or tweed. No scarves left. No Claudie tops, Belda coats, Odile shearlings, Sabbie tops, Reiko dresses, Mura sweaters, Yumi vests, Boukris pants, Annelise pants, Harumi blouses, Kiyoko dresses, Fabienne vests, or Amandine skirts.

I can't remember whether they had the Berengere jacket.

13 comments:

erica said...

i'm glad you got the eniko in paradiso. the fabric is just so wonderful....

i've been swamped with meetings, didn't even have the presence of mind to try calling yesterday. i guess i'll have to wait and see about online markdowns.

have your odessa pieces arrived yet?

i'm feeling very blah nowadays. there's going to be a baby shower in early december, and i'm starting to wish i had something nice to wear. i really like the claudie top at hejfina ($254), but maybe i should get the veva instead (for basically the same price).

i cannot wait to see photos of your new mayle pieces!

the bit about the votivo candle really bums me out...

Moya said...

I am very happy with my purchases--I spent too much, yes, but I really doubt I could get some of the items elsewhere for less. I had to accept it was now or never. Before I went, I closely studied eluxury and other online Mayle retailers (very few as you know) to see what they had. I took a guess that most of the eluxury stock would go on sale at some point. Other than Aurelie, I didn't buy anything that eluxury had. I think Mayle distributed very few Paradiso Eniko dresses. I loved the black and white but there was something exotic about the Paradiso that I couldn't resist. I think Kaori was probably the least necessary but it fit me surprisingly well (I though the skirt might be tight) and it is a special dress.

I think the Odessa package arrived today. I'll pick it up tomorrow. I'm glad I got my coat and cardigan as I saved about $160 on the Mayle prices (Odessa was cheaper to start with). Not that I can really consider any of this as saving!

I think you should get either Veva or Claudie (or both). Veva sold at at Mayle ages ago--all the Eden prints were gone and Claudie has sold out.

I have also been completely swamped. I took most of today off to go to Mayle, catch up on some cleaning and to give the cats some affection. I have to go back to grade tonight and I am so completely uninspired, tired and over it. I've also got a lot of students trying to get into one of my classes for next semester. It filled up immediately and while I feel for them, I can't let too many of them in or the classroom will be over-filled and I won't be able to keep up with grading.

As for Mayle: I think Odessa is the cheapest for now, but I'm inclined to think Eluxury is our best bet for later--unless there are other people stalking their stock like us. I was shocked at how little holiday they had left.

I may try to scan some of the images from the resort collection over the weekend. I'd love to hear your reactions--the putty dress is a bit like Thea (and there is a Thea style top in black and white). There is also an amazing lavender/tan dress. There are several black and white prints and a dress that looks a lot like Lilly from last summer.

erica said...

do you think the aiko runs large or small? i noticed that mayle's ecommerce shop has a few things on sale, but i'm wondering how up-to-date their stock is. certain sizes are definitely sold out. i wanted the aiko in sable (s), and the eniko in ivory paradiso (size 8). maybe i'll try ordering them and see whether or not they go through. hmmm.

i'd rather have the eniko than the veva (and matthew would approve, too).

Moya said...

They have both of these in the store and seem to have a number of 6s (I asked for you). I would get them while you can as it was getting busy while I was in there. I think you should be fine if you call today but I imagine the weekend will be nuts.

The online store is definitely out of date as they are selling items that are out of stock. They also have the Eniko as out of stock in ivory paradiso when they mean paradiso!

I also updated my blog with lists of what they have/don't have. Let me know what you get.

Aiko runs a little large/true to size according to Susan at Odessa. I love the sable. A girl bought it in that color while I was there and it looked so snuggly and warm. Even if you get it a little large, I think it looks good. Either a small or a medium would work for you I think. You should ask for Christina (the manager) when you call and tell her you are Moya's friend in Boston--I asked about Thea for you and she was so nice.

Moya said...

They have ivory paradiso in 8--I tried it on in the store even though they had it as sold out on the estore.

erica said...

thanks for the quick response, moya! i'm in the basement of the library, but i think i'll dash outside for a second to call mayle.

on second thought, i do prefer the paradiso print because the black stands out more clearly against the other colors.

i'll let you know soon how it goes...

jumelle has the fabienne vest on sale $270, which i also love, but i'd rather have the aiko.

Moya said...

Aiko is also a lot warmer!

Good luck with Mayle--let me know how it goes with the store.

erica said...

i just called the store, and all they have left for aiko sable is XS. eniko in paradiso is all sold out, apparently, and they only had a 6 in the ivory paradiso.

so i ordered the eniko, even though an 8 probably fits me better right now, eventually i'll go back to my regular size. matthew really preferred the ivory paradiso, so i think it all turned out for the best.

it's a pity about the aiko, though. i will probably end up buying a cashmere/wool waffle knit long cardigan in a similar color from vince once it goes on sale (a pea in the pod maternity--terrible name).

Moya said...

I got the Eniko in a size 8. I would have got a 10 but they were all out of it. I guess the 8 in Ivory Paradiso I tried on at 1 p.m. sold out. It is crazy. I think there are many of us who have been waiting for reductions and just pounced.

Also, register for Hush boutique--myhush.com. They have three pieces of Mayle from resort and all their stock is 40% off tomorrow. They have the black lace blouse with ties in a 6, and the softest top ever--the one from resort with the black lurex jacket effect.

Biscuit said...

Wow, what a great haul!! I am so glad you were able to get Eniko in paradise. I guess they were wrong when they told me there weren't any left; maybe they meant in my size. I agree that the fabrics this season were beautiful. Pictures really don't do the paradise justice.

I only ended up getting Olympe from the shop since they didn't have the other items I really wanted in my size. But I decided to order Veva from Odessa, since I tried it on in black and loved the shape of it. I forgot about the myhush sale starting today. Not sure if I'm going to get anything yet. I love the Hera blouse, though.

Moya said...

Let me know when you get your Veva, Susie. Susan was shipping my coat and cardigan Monday so I should receive them tomorrow (I hope). I think I might email her and see what she has left in stock. Did you get anything from myhush? I'm tempted by Zeta, which is the softest top in the world, but I also want to get a Jeanne bag in green and a Billie Doux bag in black.

Jeanette said...

Great haul Moya! Please post pictures! How much was the Hera? Its my one only must have item, non of the online retailers stock it at the moment, I am hoping that someone will.

Jeanette said...

Found it on myhush! Oh no, myhush doesn't let me pinch in the details of my international credit card, maybe its not meant to be.