Wednesday, November 12, 2008

More The Sea and Cake

Last night's concert couldn't really have been at a worse time--late at night during the semester crunch and the day before I teach for nine hours. That said, it was worth every hour of sleep I missed. I wasn't surprised that they played a lot of songs from their new album, Car Alarm (which I got on vinyl at the concert), but I was surprised and pleased to hear so much from Nassau. One of the many things I like about TSAC is how meticulous they are, and how much they are artists, which means a concert involves delicate tuning and retuning at the start of each song. Last night, they were more playful between songs than they have been in the past, with Sam Prekop even shouting out "Prewitt" when Archer Prewitt was adjusting his pedals a little too long. They smiled, laughed at some of the sillier things said by the crowd and had broad grins on their face when someone shouted out "Obama." (I don't think that was because they share a home town). Archer Prewitt even teased the audience, stating that they'd retired "The Biz" when someone called out for it--and then they played it about four songs later. Other crowd pleasers included Parasol. Sam Prekop had his lyrics on cards, which was so amusing given how perfect their music was otherwise. I was very close to the front and able to see how meticulous their guitar/bass/drum work was, and how much of a trance Archer Prewitt falls into when he plays (most of the time, his eyes are shut). Eric Claridge is such an underrated member of the band that I wanted to give him a special shout out--people screamed out how much they loved Sam, and John (McIntire), but nobody shouted for Archer or Eric...

Evan was a sport and went with me even though he is no fan--that I can't comprehend. The Music Hall of Williamsburg is a great venue--the stage is high and people didn't seem to cluster at the front, but maybe that's more to do with the band playing. I had a really great view. And five hours of sleep.

On other news, some more Mayle reductions--just a few pieces on sale at Barneys for 40% off (mainly belts, a few tops and Eniko, but she is only in 4 and 6 online). It really is time for Jane Mayle to put fall on sale--and I recommend ELuxury does the same. And LaGarconne for that matter. As for netaporter, those 70% reductions are *way* overdue!

No comments: