Sunday, November 23, 2008

Barneys Update

I made it to Barneys yesterday afternoon, amidst a smattering of snow. Given the reductions--50% off, with some items far less--it was surprisingly quiet. I made my way straight to the Mayle rack and after picking up a few items, I was immediately helped, had a room, and could wander around. This should reassure you that there will be stock left tomorrow. I've waited longer on a weekday afternoon in the past. It's worth looking in, Susie. I think they have 2s although I didn't see zeroes. You may want to call first, but I had to restrain myself not to spend too much more.

I was surprised by what they had at 50% off: two Yves dresses in rose, one in a 4, one in a 10; many Riri cardigans and Jeannette dresses in black (I'm not impressed as they were already pilling badly); Hilaire and Ebba (black) in what appeared to be all sizes; Sabbia top, again in all sizes; lots of Kaori, seemingly all in 8s for $80 less than I spent at Mayle; Odette in tweed, size 8; Marion in 8; Claudie in M and L (it runs small and is very flimsy--I was not impressed); Cecile in black; Gia camisoles in blue (a lot of them); Emmanuelle jacket in 10 (runs very small and is quite short--I estimate this 10 was a 6 or small size 8); the sequined Miho tank in what appeared to be all sizes; Ninon cropped cardigan; Ludovine in birdseye and one size 6 Eniko in Ivory Paradiso. There were likely been more items in the back stock room (I was asked if I needed things that weren't on the rack). There may have been more items that were being tried on but it didn't look like there was that much interest in Mayle. In fact, many people weren't buying at all, other than upstairs where the jeans area was busy but possibly less crowded than most Saturdays.

I tried on Odette in tweed. It is far more lightweight than the self-colored version. The tweed has a lurex stripe that looks like it is starting to unravel. It doesn't drape quite as well as the plain coat either. In fact, at angles it jutted out making me look a little pregnant. That said, if it gets slashed in price (say, to $200), I might consider it. And I wouldn't be surprised if it does. There just weren't that many people shopping.

As I was there, I also tried on Theodora (in black) and Olympia from holiday. Both run small--Theodora is really small. The underskirt is quite straight and I needed a 10 for sure. The sleeves are also a little tight at the cuff. It's beautiful but not a must-have in black. Olympia is nearly sold out at Mayle with only a 2 and 4 remaining (at $740, it is also the most expensive dress in the holiday collection). Much of the detail is lost in the look boook picture--the bodice is heavily gathered, the top has three functioning buttons at either side (you need to open them to put it on) and there is black lace lined in nude forming a small peplum. It has details reminiscent of vintage high-end clothing, is classical and beautiful, but I don't know how much I need another all black Mayle dress. I suspect neither will sell out at full price at Barneys so I will keep an eye on them. Even without sleeves, I needed a 10 in Olympia. If I am going to invest in anything full price, however, it will be the lavender dress from resort. I think resort is ultimately more wearable than much of the holiday collection.

From Holiday, Barneys have Zora in putty only, the leather jacket, Eunice, the black slightly flared pants and Gaia, the black jersey cropped pants with the ruffled front panel, black Zeta top (which may have been the best seller as they only had one left) and, I think, Justinian. They should get resort in after Thanksgiving although nobody seemed that certain (Christine at Mayle said Barneys would get it for sure).

I got Yves for $343 with tax--more than I wanted to pay but I knew it was the last one. I needed an 8 but can work with a 10. It runs true to size and I am only a 10 when the items are tiny (like Theodora). I also got a pair of J-brand skinny jeans for $39, reduced from $168. There are tons of jeans on markdown upstairs--I tried on some Stella McCartneys for $69 but they were a horrible fit. Most of the stock seems to be on second markdown, making these discounts as big as the final discounts from summer. Other really nice items on sale included some Hanii Y dresses and coats that looked more like Marni, some delicate Lyell tops that may have tempted me in past years but will likely be dressy and fragile enough to warrant further markdowns, and some Sissi Rossi bags in beautiful washed leather that I'm definitely stalking. Before Mayle vanishes forever, though, I want a Jeanne bag in the loden green, and maybe a Billie Doux in black (it is a very large bag, perhaps too large).

The selection, in short, was so good that I skipped the Steven Alan sale. I'll either go to the outlet or check it out online (if they ever put the outpost back up). Right now, however, I've got to put a limit on my spending, especially if I am to afford Zora (a must have), Hera and that lavender dress from resort. I am also interested in more resort and holiday items, but I am very lucky to get all that I wanted from Fall. If there are more markdowns, I'd like the ivory paradiso top, but that's about it.

Other than feeling guilty about spending all this money, my final thought was sadness at the state of the economy. Barneys didn't reduce stock to this level in the summer. Despite advertising (up to) 70% off, Mayle went down to around 50%, as did Lyell, before the warehouse sale in August and only a few brands got the big cuts. By then, a lot of the stock was picked over. I don't think Mayle sells as fast at Barneys so a fair amount was left in the summer, but it was a lot more expensive than Mayle, eluxury, and other retailers and not things I had to have. For Barneys to be the cheapest place for Mayle this early (other than Odessa), things must be bad. If the cuts are this deep in November and the shop was relatively quiet (especially for a Saturday), the economy may be worse than even pessimists like me have thought.

14 comments:

erica said...

great review--i only wish my barneys carried mayle. it's good to hear that the Jeannette is pilling, since i was sorely tempted but passed on it.

i'm not terribly interested in more all-black dresses, especially since i rarely wear them, but the Olympia sounds gorgeous in person.

the Zora top would be lovely, i hope you're able to get one. i am holding back on Mayle for now, mainly because of all these other purchases to consider (warmer winter jacket that fits! new tires for the car! new car battery! new refrigerator! new air purifier!).

i think the retailers are really going to have to reconsider the amount of goods they order. it's really depressing to think that Barneys is so heavily discounting already. don't get me wrong, i love steep discounts, but it feels like a nor'easter is about to hit, and it's silly of me to spend so much considering all the things i need to consider on top of global economic woes.

we didn't eat out even once last week, which is really unusual for us. i'm very curious to see what happens on black Friday. i'm in the market for maternity jeans, and would love to buy a nice pair for less than $100....so jealous about your skinny j brands. oh, if only i had a pair of denim that fit right now!

oh, and Moya? photos of your amazing Mayle haul, please! i know we're all busy with work, but i am so dying to see your beautiful new acquisitions.

Biscuit said...

Thanks so much for the review. If they didn't have any other Enikos, I might have to skip the trek there from Brooklyn. I shouldn't tempt myself with other things I didn't even know I wanted yet, too! But I am interested in Kaori. Maybe I will give them a call to check on my sizes.

Agree with Erica that we need to see some photos! I'm excited to see everything! I will definitely let you know if/when I get my Odessa package. I didn't make my order until last Wednesday, though.

erica said...

oh moya, i keep forgetting to ask you to send me your email address so i can add you to my other blogs..

Moya said...

I'm definitely going to put up photos soon. I think my memory card is corrupted so I have to fix that!

I'm a little upset I got Ludovine in black as they had it in birdseye in Barneys. I don't know whether to get it in that color. Maybe I should wait for my Odessa package to arrive. I am being so irresponsible right now, but I keep thinking that this is it forever.

They do have some great deals, Susie. I made the trek from Brooklyn and was pleased I did. I may even go back on Tuesday. I don't think I can face Black Friday and my mother wants a scarf for Christmas so I'll look into what Barneys have and visit the Sissi Rossi bags. I may get Ebba or Zora. I have a giftcard somewhere but I know I am being horribly bad.

I'll send you my email address, Erica. Should I send it to your Harvard or gmail account?

I heard that retailers drastically cut orders for next spring so there will evidently be very few discounts. This is why it is good to stock up now :)

Moya said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Biscuit said...

Just got back from Barneys and I'm glad I went! I got Eniko in my size (last one!) and canceled my online order. It was worth it after all though it took me almost an hour to get there.

Don't be upset about Ludovine! I think it's great in black. I actually preferred the black to the birdseye. It is more versatile, I think. Do you know if Odessa accepts returns? Maybe you can stalk the coat at Barneys until it goes on further markdowns.

I also tried on some pieces from the holiday collection, and thankfully for my wallet, not a lot of it looked good on me :)

Moya said...

Congratulations Susie--I'm glad it paid off for you. Did you get Eniko in Ivory Paradiso or the bright Paradiso.

I thought a lot of the holiday was beautiful but not so versatile as resort. I was thinking of getting both Ludovines (too late to cancel my order) but it might be best to just be happy with the one I got.

Biscuit said...

Ivory. I wanted the bright paradiso, but the ivory is beautiful as well. Complete agree on the holiday collection; it's a good thing because now I can take a breather and think about what I really want from the resort collection. I still think holiday is going to go on sale somewhere online. I have the feeling that a lot of online sites will have one-day only types of sales like hush. I really wish La Garconne would further reduce it's sale merchandise-- it really has been months at the same prices. I love the bibi dress, but not for $415!

Moya said...

The ivory is beautiful. I would have liked to get something in it--maybe a top. I'm really glad you got it.

I think you are right about online sales. I am tempted to get Zora (I think it will be versatile), but I'm trying to focus on sale items only and I still need boots and shoes. I'm also hoping Inhabit will announce their sale soon so I can get a couple of sweaters.

Hush is getting some of the resort in next week, but, alas, Mayle are only shipping small sizes to them (I think they go up to 6). What pieces are you thinking about getting?

erica said...

moya-
either account is fine, both are redirected to the same gmail.

the ludovine in birdseye is so beautiful, but of course i'm partial to non-black clothing...

it's so maddening trying to keep track of prices at all these various vendors. i wish mayle would post their resort collection.

i love the paradiso, too, but i think the black and white of the ivory paradiso will work better as a seasonless dress for me.

i really don't understand why la garconne holds onto their stock for so long! they have a 6 in the Lilly, and if it were marked down 50%, i would snatch it up immediately. of course i'll probably miss out because i'll forget to check their site on a daily basis.

Biscuit said...

Not sure which pieces are my favorites yet from resort, although I also love the lavender dress. The dress on the top left of the poster also appeals to me, but I think I need to see better photos of the details.

Erica, I will let you know if there's any movement on La Garconne. I have been checking it pretty religiously in hopes that the prices will move.

Christina said...

The Ludovine in size 8 is on sale at shopjake for 360.00 for those interested.

Anyone seen the Billie Doux in the wool/tweed and leather combo? Is the material thick? I think it would be an ideal bag for travel though I can't justify spending even over 200 for it. I hope Jane brings back the Baby Billie w/long strap for the final season-I really want that style in black. Hopefully, one will show up on ebay. I stopped at my Barneys this weekend and they no longer carry Mayle but just about everything in the co-op section was on sale and there were about two people total in there. If Mayle has a sample sale soon, I may have plan a vacation and buy a ticket to NYC for that one!! Has anyone heard if there will be a final sample sale before the doors are closed for good? I only own Mayle handbags but I regret not picking up some clothing items from last year so it would be worth it. I'm sure women will be camped out!
Can't wait to see your photos! Can we see your older Mayle items as well, especially the coats?

Moya said...

As soon as I figure out how to take photos with my timer, I will be posting all my Mayle--and other finds, new and old.

I don't think that there is going to be another Billie bag. The resort collection includes a gorgeous fold-over bag in purple leather though. I've seen the Billy in fabric--it is big and it looks durable. I think it will go below $200 as the sales progress--the leather one probably not.

My friend Jane got me the Kooba Tracy bag at the Saks in Pittsburgh yesterday for 75% off ($160 from $645). They had Chloe and Marc Jacobs collection bags for $250-300, so a fabric Mayle bag will probably go down. I'll keep my eyes open and post what I find.

I don't know about a final sample sale. I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything, but given the speed at which her fall and holiday collection are selling, I am not sure what she'd have left to sell, other than some items from Summer 08. She had a sample sale in April and evidently things were crazy and most of her clothes sold out. I couldn't go as I was at a conference in California, but Evan went for me. He got me two great items from my list--the Laetitia top in blue from resort 07 and Mariya in melba from fall 07 (Mariya was just $75). He also got me a Pina in cream--in a size 2-which we have to put up on ebay. It was the most expensive item at $175.

I was hoping for a big blow out sale myself--I even thought she'd get returns from other stores and be hurt by the economy, but now the manager is saying they may not even reduce holiday. That said, I think there will be real reductions online.

Of course, I now regret the Mayle items I didn't buy at the Summer 07 sample sale (which was huge). So many pants and shorts were $25 by the final day that I got blase and thought next time. I regret the sweaters I didn't buy at $100 and $50. But I am pleased I got four dresses, a pair of sandals, two cardigans and two skirts back then. If I'd known what I do now, I would have got a lot more stuff--but then, so would everybody else and it wouldn't have been as much fun.

Moya said...

I mean, I have seen the leather/fabric Billie Doux!