Thursday, November 13, 2008

Mayle auction win

So I won my Mayle auction. I admit I fell foul to the frenzy of bidding. The top was posted for around $40 and it seemed that I was one of two people interested. Most Mayle hasn't been moving on ebay recently--a combination of the economy, old and less inspired styles and maybe too high prices. So I thought I could likely pick it up for a song--especially as it was a size 10 and the smaller items seem to go fast. This top was nice, if not stunning, and at sub-Club Monaco prices I felt I couldn't let it go.

That was until an hour before the auction ended. Someone else had bid it up to $62, but as that's still very cheap, I hung around. Three minutes before it ended, I thought I'd just go up by another $5 and it would be mine. It was not to be. The other bidder evidently bid it up to $102, clearly figuring nobody else would go that high (fortunately they must have assumed that was enough). After a couple of failed bids, I won it with a bid so high I thought I'd be way over the top, but I won it by 75 cents. I'm waiting for it to arrive now and hope it is worth the $103 plus postage I paid, especially given that it is probably only a matter of days now before we get some more substantial reductions on Mayle. I'm probably going to hold off on the coats until/if they are 60% off as I have several, including 3 Mayle and 3 Lyell. But I may get a couple of dresses at 40% off if it looks like they'll sell out. Tama has to wait to 60% off because she is over $700. This is particularly the case as I am most interested in Thea, Theodora, Helen and others from holiday/resort.

I saw the sleeveless persimmon top in Jumelle on Tuesday night before I went to The Sea and Cake. It is a lovely shade of orange and the detailing is beautiful, especially the embroidered trim. That said, the style of this one is not for me--but it makes me want Helen and Theodora all the more.

4 comments:

Jeanette said...

Hi Moya, great to see that you starting writing your own blog, I will keep checking for any updates. I hope you love your new Mayle top. :)

Biscuit said...

hi- i'm sure you saw, but eluxury has an extra 20% off of sale items. i went online immediately when i saw but the delaura top i was watching was sold out! i ended up getting the violeta instead.

Moya said...

Thanks! I saw that this morning and I am wondering about violetta--even though my cats might have a field day with her.

Thanks for checking out my blog, Jeanette. I'll keep you abreast of any Mayle updates. Hopefully I get my top today when I get home from work.

Moya said...

Susie--in case you see this--Housing Works Sample Sale (on 17th St between 6-7th Aves) has one Delaura in blue for $165 in size 8, as well as Anna Claudia for $250 in 4 and 6 and Rosamelia for $250 in 4 and 6.