Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Feeling Positive

It may have been cold today and I may have way more work to do than I have time, but I feel pretty positive that I'll get everything done--at least the things that matter. I had a great acupuncture session today (and I have another booked for Saturday--her first Saturday session since I've been going), so that might account for my greater than usual optimism.

I applied for a job I won't get today, but in reading through my application materials, I realized I have another book project that I need to write, will write, always meant to write. This one might even get me the job I want (if the femininity and early cinema books don't). The topic centers on effots to construct a transnational European popular culture (especially film/TV) during the formative years of the EU/EEC. Besides looking at material cultural practices, I'll look at the circulation of texts/stars/trends across national borders, and include a chapter on how this impacts on the relationship with the US (here I can insert my British invasion research). I have several conference papers on EU culture, femininity across borders (something that also appears in my femininity book). If I can do all these, I hope I can write my way into the job of my dreams. It may take a while, but I know I can do it. I think some of the readings for my German Cinema grad class also really helped here--and hopefully my genre and national cinema class will help me develop some of these ideas even further next year. Hopefully I can fulfill these plans and my other pressing dreams in the new year--or even in the waning days of this year/decade.

As it was cold, I didn't get to wear anything too exciting today. J. Crew stripey long-sleeved t, black box pleat Club Monaco skirt, grey Inhabit cashmere turtleneck sweater, black Danskin leggings, grey boots, Sveva cardi, Odette coat, Club Monaco red cashmere scarf and red/gray/white Steven Alan cashmere scarf. I fear we're entering the season of layering and my pretty items will not be worn for several months. I do feel the cold and I noticed some of my students don't--some were in regular t-shirts, cardigans and jackets. At least two others dressed like me in multiple layers so I'm not the only person who prefers to be a little more warm...

2 comments:

LivKate said...

Now that is what I want to hear! You need to stay positive -- we all need to.

Moya said...

Thanks Monica. I am working on it and I think we should work on each other too--holding each of us up as true friends do.