Monday, December 7, 2009

Christmas Shopping

As the semester (and year) wind down, I'm finding myself typically short of time. Saturday I worked, Sunday I did some Christmas shopping and met my friends Alyssa and Gina for dinner. Gina moved to Pittsburgh earlier this year so I don't get to see her nearly often enough.

It's pretty evident how much the economy has affected retail. Most of the stores had far less inventory than last year, discounts are minimal and shoppers aren't really interested in most of the full price merchandise. J. Crew was busy (although much of the store was not on sale and the most crowded area was by the not too interesting sale section), Banana Republic empty (given how horrible and over-priced the merchandise I wasn't surprised). Club Monaco was also pretty empty--again, the nice items weren't on sale and the reduced items were the ones attracting all the shoppers, many of whom weren't buying because the reductions weren't impressive and the stock dull.

Gina is temporarily working retain and agreed that the shoppers aren't shopping. People want the discounts from 2007-8 and the same quality of merchandise that was available then. Neither are being offered, shoppers have less money and they are leaving empty handed. She works at a well known national clothing chain and their takings on Black Friday were a fraction of their target.

I've barely ventured into the shops this year, largely because I'm too busy and also because these aren't places I usually shop (I also tend not to shop for men's clothing). I thought the sales last year weren't so great either. A lot of "cheap luxury" has vanished (stores like the Gap and Old Navy were stocking cashmere, albeit of dubious quality, but they aren't any more, although it is available in Macys). While I think the stores imagine they can tutor people into changing their expectations, so they'll spend more or adjust to lower quality, that didn't seem what the shoppers I saw yesterday were hoping to do--nor the people who shop where Gina works. I think this consumer battle is not going to play out quite how either side wants.

That said, I did find gifts for Dad, most of one of my brother's gift and half of Mum's. I already shopped for my niece so I just have to buy for another brother, two sisters-in-law and Evan before I leave for the UK.

As it was cold, it wasn't the most interesting weekend for outfits. Saturday I wore my new J. Crew thin gray and black striped long sleeved t-shirt, new brown Inhabit cashmere sweater, gray tights and black Club Monaco box pleat skirt (I also didn't leave the apartment). Yesterday I wore my Madewell jeans, J. Crew black and white striped long sleeved t-shirt, my new double layered Inhabit light brown cashmere sweater and Odette with my Jeffrey Campbell wedges and Steven Alan cashmere stripey hat.

3 comments:

erica said...

i'm planning on buying most of my winter clothing at the opening ceremony and lena corwin sales this weekend.

have you been to lyell recently? the refinery 29 shop hasn't been marked down. i'm hoping for a dress, or maybe a cardigan. i can't tell whether i like the dresses this season based on the photographs in the lookbook.

JEFFREY SCONCE said...

The Gap also has this rotating "sale-a-day" thing going, so if you come back the next day to buy something you saw previously, it's back to full retail. I think they're trying to train people to BUY IT WHEN YOU SEE IT.

Moya said...

Erica--I noticed that refinery 29 is all full price. Sometimes Lyell's first discounts are only on selected merchandise so it looks like the coat and top I like aren't going to be reduced yet. That said, I haven't got to the store (I've been too busy but maybe Saturday). I have to check out the OC sale--I need shoes desperately and from what you say, Rachel Comey runs narrow.

I didn't see the rotating sales at the Gap, Jeff. I still think most consumers will outsmart the stores but it's interesting to see where this game will end. Now I have to seek out some Gen X Food Humor (which as you know, is one of my favorite kinds).