Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Mayle visit--and lots of new clothes

I got my VanJean package today and my pieces from Mayle. I've not had this much new Mayle since the legendary 2007 sample sale, and I doubt I'll ever get this much in one day again. To recap, from VanJean--Rocio in cream, Bebel, Thea in putty; from Mayle--Zora in black, Melia in black (actually, it's more a slate gray but I digress); Mirabelle in black (true black); Helen in Persimmon. As I type, I'm wearing Thea which fits pretty well--better than the black in Bird--although I'd love one more inch of fabric in the back! Photos will come. Suffice to say, it's like my birthday with all the tissue paper and hangers. VanJean did not charge me the higher prices, for the record. Everything fit too--even Bebel in size 6, which is an odd dress but I like it. This one is a paler gold than the one I tried on in Barneys, and it looks better against my skin. Evan even commented that he liked it, so that was good (no words on Rocio or Thea). He thinks it is quite hysterical that I have all these dresses and tops and am being such a girl about it all.

I got to Mayle about 5 today. It was still pretty busy but Elise and Christine said yesterday was mad and that it was a miracle I got through on the phone, albeit for the best. When I got there, the racks looked pretty bare. As others have noted, a lot of the stock has gone. No Marius, Asina, Jacinthe (all colorways gone), Astrid (again, all colors sold), Justinian, Allegra, Olympia or Hera. No Melia in black or Zora in persimmon. Also no Alix, but I am sure that never went into production.

Very limited indeed were Zora in putty (just size 10 left, I believe), Pia in black, Penilope, Zoia (only size 4 and up in both ivory/black, ivory/paisley), Melia in ivory, Mirabelle in ivory, Zenith (4 was the smallest and I think they only have goldenrod left, but I may be wrong), Cyra (only in goldenrod).

They seemed to have a fair number of the following left, although sizes might be limited: Zora in black (only up to size 6, I believe), Gaia pants, Thea in black and in putty (size 8 is the biggest), Kozma skirt, Athena in black and persimmon, Helen in black, Eunice pants, Lena dress (lovely but even my torso was on the short-side for this one), Zeta blouse (both in the black and putty variants), Otto coat, Theodora in black and persimmon--as long as you are size 6 or smaller (and this dress seems to run small), Ziggy romper in black and black multi in, I think, size 6 and up; Nia skort in black multi, Jemeen in ivory/black and ivory/paisley (small sizes sold out), Mirabelle in black, Senna, Rex pants (black and tan), Betto dress both in denim and gray, but only P, S, M; Phoebe top (gray and denim). Belts and bags are 30% off and, as such, there wasn't as great a rush. My thoughts are (and always have been) that Betto and Phoebe will end up in a sample sale (why did she ruin the design by using sweatshirt fabric? And that chain?). Other items that I doubt will sell include Nia, Lena, Zeta and Otto.

Tons of Dezra in smaller sizes. When I asked to try it on, Elise said that it had not come out right--it was cut too small in the ribcage and twisted in an odd way when it was on. She was right. I had to try a 10 which barely fit. There are a lot of smaller sizes in this one. You have to size up. Black is available up to size 6; ivory in all sizes.

It looks like nobody really knows what's happening with the final collection. Possibly one item per size per style (I can't think of a succinct way to say this--basically one style with five pieces, one in each size). It will likely come in in waves--one set released per week. Billie bags are likely a yes; monogram clogs likely not (Elise seemed surprised when I asked about this). But basically she says they don't know anything for sure and they haven't been told anything definite. Jane Mayle is working alone with only one person to assist her so there will be no lookbook and very limited availability. Indeed, I'm not sure that all decisions have been made. Certainly, recutting Astrid suggests that this dress will be around in more numbers than the one of each rumors indicate.

24 comments:

leanne said...

I heard through a source that she does intend to keep the store open as long as she can. She still enjoys designing, but this is her way of backing away from the production machine (which is not why she started designing in the first place.)

mel said...

hi moya-

i remember you mentioning that you wanted a belt from resort, and i actually bought the deauville belt from mayle this week but i'd like to sell it (buyer's remorse from too much spending). i was going to put it up on ebay, but i figured i'd ask you and all the mayle readers here first. i hope you don't mind ;) i'm asking the price i paid ($112) and i would pay for shipping. please let me know if you're interested!

pine said...

Why are you selling it? Just curious, I just bought one and it's being shipped. Is it not quite adjustable or something, meaning too small but cannot be expanded? (I had bought a Mayle belt before that wasn't adjustable and I could never wear it afterward)

mel said...

kim - the belt can be expanded (although not by a lot). it fits me actually, but just (i'm about a size 27 jean). i'm not sure if it would fit someone really thick-waisted. i'm just selling it because i bought too much mayle and am feeling terribly guilty about it (and i'm prioritizing: dresses before accessories)! i hope it works out for you. it is a great belt.

erica said...

my mirabelle is here, i love it! i could definitely have sized down to a 4, but i don't think it really matters. the fabric is heavenly, i'm going to wear it to a valentine's dinner party on saturday.

Moya said...

Yay! I'm glad you got it, Erica. It does run a tad large and I could have gotten away with the 6. But it isn't fitted so it doesn't matter. I saw the UPS man picking up the boxes on Tuesday and thought that your dress would be in one of them.

Melissa, I hope you can sell the belt on my blog. I'm actually interested in the leather belt with the woven detail (not the braque as I don't think that would fit) but it is over $200 even with the 30% discount.

Indeed, if anybody needs to sell/swap Mayle, this is a good place to do that and to alleviate buyer's remorse.

Moya said...

Oh, and Leanne, that's a really interesting comment. Something is not ringing quite right about the extended opening. I personally hope that she finds some way of keeping the store and getting back into the business of producing collections, even at a slightly slower pace.

pine said...

Thanks, Melissa. I don't think the belt would fit since I wear size 28/29 jeans...oh wish I had thought about that more carefully, guess I would have to wait until I receive it to see. I hope someone buys yours here, since it's selling for 160 elsewhere, and I am not sure if the shop has it anymore.

Cindy said...

I agree, there is something odd about the store staying open longer than intended. Having such limited production means that it'll be next to impossible to afford the shop's overhead, especially if there's no wholesaling. It's a blessing and a luxury for her to implement the vision she has for her March collection, especially in light of the crap economic climate.

Or maybe this is what she has planned all along and she needed the '08 sales to give her the resources she needed? I guess I am being cynical. You could crucify me for saything this, but I think it's starting to get slightly unethical, this unexpected lingering with no announcement of staying open in a different capacity.

All that said, I still love Mayle, and I'll always be on the lookout for her designs.

Julie said...

Hi Ladies
Eluxury has 50% off sale. Splendora posted it last night, so not a ton of sizes/items left but worth checking out.
If you are ten, there is an oscalita and the fall coats..

Moya said...

Thanks for the info, Julie. Alas, I'm not a Splendora reader and was not online either. The Virginie blouse I wanted has gone and I'm not sure whether or not I want the Oscalita and Mura I put in my cart. I have to think about this--anybody with these items, I'd welcome your opinions. I'm just worried about another ivory piece and the dry cleaning it would incur and while Mura could be useful, it's still possibly overpriced at $110.

patrickstar said...

thanks for the heads up! i'm so sad b/c i was looking at the eniko yesterday afternoon, but didn't pull the trigger. and now it's gone! oh well...probably better for my wallet.

Moya said...

I got the Virginie! Things reappear--Patrickstar, keep looking. I think people put a ton of items in their bag and then get sift through them and they reappear.

Julie said...

Patrickstar,
I am returning an eniko ivory (size 4) to eluxury today so maybe it will pop back up.
Also, I am trying to sell the ivory eniko on ebay for at least what I paid for it $240 (at the mayle store). Size 6.

Moya, I know Erica sold a Mura on her secondary blog. The eluxury models are somewhat poor. Weird slouching going on- even the aiko looks strange and I know it is a nice sweater. Glad you got the Virginie-more interesting than the mura and better value.

I am wearing my auriele today (also on eluxury). I heart it. :) works with a long sleeve thin black tee underneath.

patrickstar said...

hi julie,

did you not like the eniko? i've actually never tried it on so i'm not sure about fit, but it looks like such a pretty dress. i usually wear a 6. how did you find the fit?

aurelie and virginie both are gorgeous.

alice

Biscuit said...

glad you love your mirabelle, erica! it's such a great dress. i ended up getting aurelie in the eluxury blitz this morning. there were some really great deals!

melissa, sorry to hear you are having regret about the belt. i bought that belt last week and love it. i don't think you'll have any problems getting rid of it on ebay. i need to list the kaiya top in buttercup, size 2. it's a great top but the color doesn't suit me. if anyone wants it, let me know, it would be $110 including shipping.

Julie said...

Hi Alice,

I actually had a third eniko that I am keeping. (long story on why I ended up with that many-ha).

The dress is a sheath, so it hangs straight. It fits true to size. You can either open the zippered panel in front of leave closed. I have worn it with a thin black sleeved top and dark tights in the cooler weather. Looks great also with a cardigan over it. Looking forward to wearing as is when it finally gets warm. The silk and richness of the fabric is absolutely lovely too.

If you have further questions or are interested in the dress ($240 plus shipping), you can email me at maylefan@hotmail.com. And yes, I just signed up for the account :)

erica said...

the eniko is a fabulous fit, even when i wore it at 7 months pregnant. the fabric is delicious, and i think it's a very flattering silhouette. i wore mine layered with a long-sleeved shirt because of the weather, but a thin sweater would work equally well year-round.

i wish i had held out for more reductions, since i paid $360 for mine at mayle.

patrickstar said...

wow, erica, i just saw your photos in the eniko at your baby shower. you look great in it (and so tiny too!)

julie, i just sent you a note to your new maylefan account!

moya - thanks so much for this blog. it's great to be able to connect with other mayle lovers.

alice

pine said...

I also have to list on ebay my Yves dress in rose, in size 6, which I just received in the mail; I had it shipped here to Korea. It's a lovely dress, seems to be everyone's favorite, but the color doesn't quite work on me, and I already have a Mitchi in dove. I would probably list it at 199 (which is more or less what I paid including the shipping charge) plus shipping (from Korea, so a bit higher, I'm not sure how much, to send it the other direction, but probably not that bad to send just one dress). Let me know if anyone's interested. I've never used Ebay before, so am putting it here first. Thanks, Moya, for creating this space!

erica said...

was reading this article *thanks to lola is beauty: http://www.style.com/stylefile/2009/02/your-really-last-chance-to-get-mayle-really/

and i don't have the faintest idea what her fall 03 collection looks like. does anyone have a lookbook or images from this season?

Moya said...

I don't have any clue what Fall 03 is like either, Erica. I have the Summer 06 lookbook, but that's the oldest one I own (I don't have fall 06). Does anybody have any clue what Fall 03 was like? I remember earlier pieces--the cowprint stuff that I disliked, the brown and green prints from summer 05, but I'm lost on fall 03.

And anybody who wants to post Mayle pieces for sale here, feel free. I hope you oall find good buyers.

mel said...

moya - thanks for offering us this blog to help sell our items. i really wish i could afford all the mayle i purchased but, alas, i spent too much (mainly on fall coats) and need to sell some lovely pieces that i bought in a state of mayle frenzy.

in case anyone is interested, i just put up a deauville belt and a zoia top in size 4 on ebay (they have buy it now prices for essentially what i paid). they were bought at the mayle boutique. if you're interested, check them out!

i hope everyone else is enjoying their sale purchases!

leanne said...

kim -
i am interested in your yves dress! you can email me at leannemdavis5(at)gmail(dot)com
thanks!
leanne