Saturday, February 14, 2009

Mayle Pop Up Store

By now, we've all likely read about the next, all too brief incarnation of Mayle. As style.com reports, the store will close on 2/28 (until then, what little of resort and holiday remains is 60% off). Then it will reopen 3/6 with very limited ranges of pieces remade from archival designs, sometimes in different fabrics (albeit from the archive themselves), some with additional detailing that Jane Mayle had originally hoped to add--or changes she'd wanted to make. New stock evidently will arrive each week. All very lovely and likely not in my price range. Pieces will go back to 2002 designs and feature many items from what was evidently one of Jane Mayle's favorite collections--Fall 03. I can't remember this one--anybody who has images, a lookbook or has any idea what this one looked like, please let us know.

In the meantime, what would you like to see in the collection? In a fantasy world where I'd won the lottery, I'd like to see the following, based on the items I remember or for which I have the lookbook:

Summer 05
flat sandals and wedges (the ones with the small buckle). I love them and have nearly worn two pairs of the flats out. I wish I'd gotten another couple of pairs.
green and lavender print dress (a-line with the stitched detail on the collar). This never went into production.
Cotton jumper dress as worn by Michelle Williams
skirt and pants in the same striped fabric--although these may be Summer 06
I have to find this lookbook--I think it is behind my dresser.

Summer 06
Anatole jacket
Claudie romper
Clothilde blouse in cassis
Liv dress
Ilaria shirt
Xandra Cardi
Ines Dress in noughts and crosses
Solange Shirt in either sky or marigold
Mala dress
Sylvestre dress in either marigold or sky
Isolde Dress in chestnut gingham

Fall 07
Izolda in either the pink or berry (I tried it on, the 4 just about fit and this was one of those that got away),
the Nica jacket from Fall
the Alyosha blouse in iris,
Jeanne bag in iris,
Fedosia jacket
Zofia dress


Holiday 07
Ishi top
Gia dress

Resort 07
Flavia skirt

Fantasies are so much fun! The reality is I'll never own most of these but I can at least carry on looking on ebay and dreaming that some of this will turn up.

13 comments:

Julie said...

Girl, check you out. You are Mayle expert supreme! I need to spend some time culling through my online pics to match up with the item names you posted.

For me, anything shoes would be a dream. My shoe collection now seems ill-suited for some of the more recent Mayle dresses I picked up. It sounds like they are very well made and comfortable?

Also, in case anyone was wondering about Mayle and the Barneys sale, mm,not really. I only saw a Bebel and Sabbia top. I did find a great skirt from Erdem. I posted the picture on a blog I started this weekend: http://favesfabsmallpleasures.blogspot.com/

Very feminine but great detail! Prohibitively priced but definitely worth considering on sale at NAP or Barneys Warehouse

erica said...

the Elvira dress (that Michelle Williams was photographed in) from SS 06 is the only one I would absolutely consider buying, but I suspect I won't have any luck snagging anything.

3/6 does not bode well for me. I suspect I will miss out on the entire new collection. I guess I'll have to stick with ebay, boo...

Moya said...

I think we'll all be looking on from afar if she only makes one piece per size. Certainly I can't afford anything if it is full price and I imagine these could be more expensive as they are so limited and the production costs will be higher.

I'll add some photos to illustrate some of these. I just have to work with a big file that I have to some how cut up and paste in here.

Thanks for the Barney's report Julie. I can't say I'm surprised but I couldn't afford anything anyway.

Now I am going to check out your blog...

erica said...

So true, Moya, especially after all of these sales!

I wish I lived in NYC, though, so I could go to the pop-up store just to look.

At any rate, we should have a post-Mayle meet-up in late April when the baby and I are up for a trip.

Moya said...

Definitely, Erica. I'd love to hang out again. And if Mayle are still open, we could go there--I am sure it won't all sell out. I'm pretty sure she has to remake Elvira--it was a hit and never went on sale. If we go to the Steven Alan outlet, there are little boy shirts there (just $19 for a reverse seam). I can't wait to meet your son. I'm certainly likely to be just a spectator with the new Mayle line.

Julie, I love your blog. The picture of Cape Cod looks just like the scene from my brother's window in rural England.

I'm not such a Mayle expert--I was just copying the items I liked from the look books I could find.

Christina said...

http://www.flickr.com/groups/mayle

Join the group on flickr and post photos of yourself, friends, and others wearing Mayle.

LivKate said...

Hi,
I have never posted on your blog before but I share your adoration for all that is Mayle. I first became enamored in Spring 2001 and have been hooked ever since (and have become much poorer in the process). Now that her line is coming to an end, I have been on a non-stop Mayle shopping bender. Lord help me. Also, I was not aware that she had a lookbook for summer 2007, all I have are the linesheets that were emailed to me from Alicia --- Bummer. Anyway, your blog is loads of fun. Cheers!

Cindy said...

The sandals sound amazing - Moya, take a picture of your shoes!

I stopped by Jumelle for their sale this weekend before I left town and saw a few harder-to-find Mayle pieces (Melia, Astrid, Allegra; all size 6 or smaller) marked 40% off. I don't think they are going to mark Mayle down any further until spring collections are reduced b/c of demand. I got a black assymetrical Nomia fringe dress at 60% off - it's really lovely. I was inspired by Erica's Nomia posts!

erica said...

cindy-
that's great that you got the nomia fringe dress for 60% off!

i also have a feeling that jumelle won't be marking down their mayle further for a while. no doubt when it happens everything will sell really quickly.

as always, la garconne is holding onto their mayle stock. no matter, i still love looking at their website, even if i've never purchased anything from them.

little boy shirts from SA for $19 sounds just about perfect, moya! he's probably going to be dressed like a mini-matthew by the time he can walk.

Julie said...

Thanks, Moya! The blog has been very fun so far. I love the Cape picture I posted. That is my boyfriend walking ahead. Your brother is lucky to have such a view every day to enjoy.

Does anyone know the name of a top from Spring 2006, it was a v neck cotton short sleeve with a linen material around the shoulders and it had a sweater chain clasp at the collar bone. That is my number one top..I did not buy it at the time as it was over $300.

LivKate said...

Hi Julie,
I think the top you are describing is called the Blaise t-shirt from Spring/Summer 2007, it came in ivory, black and a purple type of color. Hope this helps.

Julie said...

Yes, that is the one! Thank you, LivKate! The Basia. I looved the purple color. I did not buy a white (on sale at that) because I naively thought the purple would reappear after selling out.

Anyway, that is a top item for me. I have been looking for sweater chains to replicate the look with other items. I will share any cool ones that I find!

Marti said...

Hi Moya, I just found your blog. Its so exciting to see that there are other people as obsessed with mayle as I am. The season Jane is re-cutting is the original season that she did the avignon dress (it was a blue dress with a floral print - very 1940's tea style, Live Tyler was photographed in it). Also a standout from that season was the zebra cardigan. That was Jeffrey Montiero's first season designing for Mayle. I know that she is planning on using some of the fabrics from the Summer 06 season as well. Jane told me that the prices will be the same as they are now (think $600 for a dress) and there will be only one of each size for each item. Sadly she couldn't get it together to do shoes.