Friday, February 20, 2009

Mayle Shoes











With Mayle closing, I've been kicking myself about items I missed. One of the recent ones that I most regret was the reissue of the t-bar wedge sandals that came out in January. I have big feet--size 40--so usually I've lucked out and got items on sale, but that was in the past when Mayle made several types of shoes a season. These sandals were reasonably priced ($295). They looked comfortable and pretty--Mayle shoes usually fit me really well. But I was about to leave for the UK and I had to get Christmas presents for my family. I have two pairs of Mayle wedges already and several Sigerson pairs, so I thought I could wait. Of course, I returned from the UK convinced I needed these sandals in any of the colors only to find out they had all sold out. I could have maybe managed a 41, but no luck there either. If anybody ever spots a pair, please let me know. The same, of course, for Izolda in size 4, 6 or 8--the dress that got away. Thank you.

Of course, I should have known better. The price was right; Mayle has not made shoes for several seasons, and the closing down frenzy coupled with limited stock has caused items to fly out of the store. Even 2 1/2 years ago, I had to get my Monogram clogs the day they came in as they sold out in my size in one day. I don't regret the $440 plus tax I paid for them either. I've worn them a lot.

So, in memory of Mayle's fabulous shoes, I'm sharing photos of some of my collection. (I also have the cream wedges in black patent leather but can't find the box at the moment.) I love the flats--they are very worn as you can see, but I live in them during the summer. If anybody spots a pair anywhere in a size 40 or 41 let me know as these are the best sandals ever. The Monogram clogs are very comfortable too and I love my wedges. The Lola clogs are beautiful but barely worn. The patent leather is stiff and I need to find a way to break them in as I am determined to wear them one day. I've never worn them out of the house. Mary Kate Olsen has these too--another reason to admire their ugly-prettiness. They are, indeed, the jolie laide of shoes.

14 comments:

erica said...

first of all, those purple tights are fabulous!

and i second your sentiments about mayle shoes. i only managed to buy one pair, the flats in brown. unfortunately, they're a teeny bit too small, so i rarely wear them out. but looking at these photos, they fit about the same as your flats, so maybe it's just me never knowing what the right shoe size is?

i'm not a huge shoe person, but i think the Lola clogs are very jolie laide (i.e. perfect).

Moya said...

The purple tights are brand new--Hue--I got them last night in Macys. I love them--they are slightly deeper than the photographs show. I bought two pairs as all the great colors sell out fast. I love colored tights.

How are you feeling today, Erica? I expect next week you will be a Mom. So exciting!

Cindy said...

ACK! Your shoes are PHENOMENAL! I lurve them all, especially the monograms and patent. To break in - we have an old skating standby - wet a pair of thickish socks and stick your feet in the shoes and walk about in them until your socks are dry. You can also use rubbing alcohol on the ouchier parts.

I also love the purple tights!

lorochills said...

nice shoes...i also love the color of the tights...i have your white wedges in the brown color way i love them a well so practical really..thanks for posting pics.. if anyone ever comes round the lola clogs in a 38 or 39 please let me know...moya this is the shoe that got away much like your izolda dress

Christina said...

I'm so jealous!!! The clogs are my fave! I wonder if her shoes were manufactured in such limited quantities due to problems with production or difficulty in sourcing exact materials she wanted.

Unknown said...

Moya I love all your shoes! Thanks for sharing. I have the monogram clogs in a grey textured leather (I think this was called Babar) and I love them.

LivKate said...

Ahhh, I so regret not getting the clogs. I was afraid I would not be able to walk in them without causing serious injury. My big regret was not buying the Hildie dress -- sigh. Hopefully, I will be able to find it. I Love the Izolde dress too and actually bought it from jake but returned it and have regretted it since. I actually wrote about it on Erica's blog about a year and a half ago. Thanks for the great pix of your beautiful shoes. I am going to miss Mayle so much. On a happy note, Jeffrey Monteiro's designs look very promising and they are made in the USA!

Moya said...

Thanks for that tip, Cindy. I am going to try it out. I want to be able to wear the Lola clogs at places other than my home (they are also a size 42 as the size 40 was way too narrow). If I see the Lola clogs anywhere in 38-39, I'll let you know, Loretta.

I think there were issues with Mayle's shoe production, Christina. The clogs were the last shoes produced and they were searching for a new factory. Obviously, they never resumed full production as promised.

I actually wanted the textured leather in the monogram clogs but those sold out in my size even before I made it into Mayle the day they arrived (I was on the list to call when they got the delivery). That was a disappointment but also a factor in getting the shoes immediately.

LivKate--I remember your post on Erica's blog about Izolda. I feel the same regrets about not buying it when I tried it on in the store. Elise says it didn't sell well but I think she's misremembering. Only once have I seen it on ebay and that was in a 0 or 2. I thought it went really fast. There is no dress like it either. Let's hope we'll both find it again some day. I have seen Hildie pop up on ebay and in sales from time to time--I'll alert you if I see it again.

LivKate said...

Thank you Moya and I will keep an eye out for the Izolda. What is your opinion of Etoile by Isabel Marant? I like some of her stuff but feel it is awful expensive for what it is. Am I the only one that feels this way. Her clothing is flying off the racks.

Moya said...

I agree with you, LivKate. I think it is nice but not that nice. And it is really expensive. I'm not blown away by it, especially at the current prices. I think it's one of those things where hype overrules sense.

Christina said...

stuart & wright in brooklyn posted a few photos of monteiro's spring line. I like the silhouette and detailing of the bello dress.

http://stuartandwright.blogspot.com/2009/02/jeffrey-monteiro-spring-09-preview.html

here's a nice close up:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_U-Ol24AgPdU/SaBpIBYnb8I/AAAAAAAAAVQ/NfeO6su4VmA/s1600-h/IMG_0159.JPG

lorochills said...

thanks moya...i will keep my eyes open for your dress...

in regards to isabel marant i love her pieces quite rumpled and soft but yes very expensive and most times there is very little details...i also think that it is so expensive because it is imported so customs and duty all add into the price such a shame

Moya said...

They are lovely. Not Mayle, but definitely the influence is there. If only there could be more Mayle as well as Jeffrey Monteiro.

mel said...

i agree that some isabel marant can look cheap, but there are certainly some isabel pieces in my wardrobe that i go to again and again that often get complimented. it's a bit hit or miss.. but if it works, it has that french "je ne sais quoi" quirky french girl vibe going on that i love so much.

i love all your mayle shoes, moya! i never saw the clogs in the store and certainly would have snagged a pair if i had seen them. i love the "jolie-laide" thing, esp. for shoes. i know we are all mourning the loss of mayle, but rachel comey also has some great clogs. i have my eye on her spring shoe collection, since she always seems to put out cool, quirky shoes.