Thursday, January 13, 2011

Cooking

Yet another New Year's resolution is to cook. I don't know if it is the weather or the stretched stomach muscles that result from my Christmas pig out, but I am far more hungry than usual these days and food is preoccupying my brain when I should be reading/writing. I am going to try to pay no sales tax on food, an exercise that prevents me from buying prepared foods. At least that's the plan. Along with that, I'm redoubling my efforts to eat organic where possible (not so easy in January in New York) and to eat fruits and vegetables rather than snacking on chocolate (bad habit that sneaked back up on me in the UK), crackers, cheese or other less than healthy foods.

Today I hope to make an apple pie. My mum's is the best--she has a great hand with pastry and puts no sugar in the apples which makes it far better for you. I may make some custard too. It will satiate the sweet craving that Christmas reignited and will be far healthier than anything I buy in stores. If I hadn't been carrying my Hunter wellies, I'd have picked up organic flour in Whole Foods on Tuesday, but that will have to wait until the next time.

No comments: