Sunday, August 30, 2009

Work

Tomorrow, I start teaching (at this point 24 hours hence, I'll be finished with my first class and about to start the second). I've already lamented that I don't know where summer went--although I know it started late, both for me (summer school) and in terms of temperature (June rains and chills). But that doesn't mean school starts any later, alas.

Right now, I'm writing a paper proposal on female nudity in early feature films, circa 1914-17, and its relationship to art, allegory and the questions it raises about the treatment of femininity on film. I'm blogging as a break, to get my head together, and to try to work through some ideas to somehow make them clear enough that the proposal gets me onto a decent panel.

But I have to ask, who had the bright idea to make this due around the beginning of the academic year? Mid summer, late September, either would be better. I also have to proof read two syllabi by the time Mad Men is on tonight, ensure I have my lecture notes ready and ideally finish my third syllabi so I can finish typing in book corrections on Tuesday and Wednesday.

5 comments:

erica said...

this will be the year that harvard finally starts its semester at the beginning of september rather than midway through. i agree, a later start is better. august is always too stressful because of semester preparations...

good luck tomorrow!

Cindy said...

I hope you have fun at school today! Your class schedule is no joke. Thank goodness for acupuncture!

Speaking of school, I miss the smell of graphite pencils. I am going to raid the office supply to look for pencils now...

eve said...

i just i discovered your blog .. i have been looking for other Mayle lovers ...
ther are 2 Mayle itnes in particular i really want to find and wanted to know if you could help or of you have any you wnat to sell..
i am looking for the Dover coat in black or other colors .. size 6 or 8 ( i have it in the vanilla flecked whiteish colr but really want another one )
also the Nieves blouse .. size 6 or 8 .. prefer black ,but the cream color was also good ..
i love so many of the mayle tops / blouses .. would be intersted if you have any tips on where i cna maybe find them .. or if you have any to sell ...

any other blogs wiht die hard Mayle colectors??? please let me know ...thanks so muc h
eve

Marti said...

Moya, good luck tomorrow. I seriously cannot believe that university has started already. This is what I miss about New York now, watching freshman move into dorms, parents freaking out yet sighing a relief!

And Mad Men, I have to Netflix the first few seasons! I know we would love the show....

Good luck with the book!
xo
and e. I have a blog and am a die hard mayle collector. I believe that Moya links to me. MartiZinPDX

Moya said...

Eve--I don't have either items and know it's tough to find Mayle right now. NYC has very little available on consignment and I've not seen either item for a while. You may also want to look at the flickr Mayle site, as well as Marti's blog.

Thanks, Erica, Cindy and Marti. School was actually pretty good and I loved wearing Katia--it's the softest dress I own and has great detail.

Mad Men is amazing. When Sakura comes, I can put a few episodes in with it for you.