Thursday, August 20, 2009

Closet Cleaning

Today, I bought a new closet to help accommodate all my clothing. This reinforced further how much I need to purge--not Mayle, but lots of other stuff. My camera broke the other day, so I'll borrow Evan's, take photos and post them here and on the General Economy blog. There are some lovely items that were just not me, some bargains I should have resisted and some things that I like but never turn to first. There's Marc, Rebecca Taylor, Jill Stuart, DVF and other contemporary and indie designers, all sizes 6-8. All have to go or else I'll be living in crumpled Mayle pulled out of carrier bags.

This move has taken forever. It's nearly two weeks since I started packing and I am still faced with bags and boxes. I had three large garbage bags filled with coat hangers alone, which tell their own story. I wish I'd just spent all this money on Mayle in the first place. My move has really brought home something I already knew--buy what you love, not the approximation of it. The things you adore really pass the test of time. I have spent a lot of money trying to balance style, economy and quality--most of it wasted. I hope these items can find homes where they are loved.

3 comments:

Marti said...

Moya- I totally agree with you. Its sad pretty much 99% of my apparel is Mayle. i have sold all my marc, rebecca taylor, and nanette. I still say take all the old fall stuff to Ina or tokio 7 - you will probably get decent dough.

Moya said...

I may just do that. Everything is in such good shape it seems a shame to throw things away. Basically, the stuff I wear is largely Mayle, with Earnest Sewn jeans/denim skirts, Steven Alan shirts, some Lyell and cashmere sweaters from Vince, Inhabit, Lutz and Patmos and Club Monaco. With a few exceptions, I turn to Mayle first every time and never wear or wore the other stuff.

erica said...

i agree, it may be worth trying one of the consignment shops in the city first. and there's nothing like a move to make you realize what your shopping priorities are (or should have been)!