Monday, August 10, 2009

Moving

No sooner did I get back than I had to start the process of packing. Since I moved to NYC 8 1/2 years ago (and it doesn't seem that long), I've had to downsize with each move. Funnily enough, when I was in Madison, Houston and Pittsburgh, it always seemed like I didn't have enough stuff. I left most of my furniture on the street in Pittsburgh the night before I moved (and, to my amusement, one piece was taken then returned, leaving telltale marks in the snow). Each move has required me to downsize further, although my wardrobe and book/dvd/magazine/research materials have grown. Still, I have to get rid of more now. Books are effectively sacrosanct. I wish I could jettison all paper but in there are immigration, tax, teaching evaluations and all manner of things that can't be thrown out but take up my precious little available storage. Every time I move, I have to shuffle through old letters and photos which only remind me how fast time passes and makes me regret that I couldn't have made better use of my life (also seeing how I look back then makes me feel old and faded).

Today, I've spent an hour already going through my closets. Not just for clothing to pack or throw out, but uncovering boxes of files that, alas, I have to keep. I'm now looking at items of clothing with nostalgic value. Do I pitch them (even if those old size 4s still curiously fit) or keep them? I've thrown out discolored tshirts and sheets that attract cat fur, but what to do with those clothes that are still viable but don't set my heart aflame? I'm already starting another bag for the Salvation army--Rogan jeans, Velvet jersey dresses and topshop blouses that are still good (way too good for the trash) but I know I won't wear them. I'm putting a ton of shoes on ebay or maybe I'll post them here--Marc Jacobs collection heels I never wore (and in both cases, never left the box), Prada shoes, Miu Miu--all things I forgot I owned, never wore and never will. All size 40, all on the small side--really more 39s. All legacies of my wishful thinking, my desire to wear shoes that really were too small for me.

8 comments:

leanne said...

Why don't you post some to Erica's blog? We'd love to help you out with this!

Moya said...

I might do that--or even post them here. I just can't believe the mountain of shoe boxes I found. Then there are the Philip Lim skirts I never wore and many other such items. I don't know why I got half of them and just think of it as money that I could have spent on Mayle...

Biscuit said...

Hi Moya! Welcome home. Good luck with moving; having done it fairly recently, I know what a pain it is!

You might also try taking some stuff to Beacon's Closet in Park Slope, though it won't result in much cash.

Moya said...

Hi Susie! I meant to email you--I need to give you your dress. Let me know when you are available to meet up.

LivKate said...

Welcome back! Ahhh... Moving. It is the worst. I loathe moving. Good luck and I hope it goes as smoothly as possible.

Marti said...

Moya - as much of a ain it could be - I would take all the stuff to Tokio 7 for consignment. The nicer stuff to Ina (like teh Miu Miu's. Prada etc... I just took some random shoes and a dress (no one special) to my local consignment shop and got $80 credit for the two things that have sold thus far (I picked credit over cash - they get good stuff!)

wythe said...

thanks for the notes on the pina dress. I think I'll go for it - it seems like one of those infinitely versatile pieces that is so easy to wear. good luck with your move to queens!

Christina said...

Welcome back! Glad to hear you had a lovely time. Good luck with the move!