Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Loving Jemeen

When I first saw the pictures for Mayle's final collection, resort 08, I immediately wanted Jacinthe. Alas, I needed a 10 and I believe that was already spoken for, leaving smaller sizes that wouldn't accommodate my frame. I also fell for Melia, Zenith (which I also missed out on) and Mirabelle. Jemeen didn't seem so remarkable, and when I tried on the 8 in Barneys, I decided it was not for me as it seemed so big. Later, I tried on the 6 and changed my mind. Even then, I decided it was not a priority. Clearly I was not alone: Elise mentioned that there were lots left and I'd definitely find it at the sample sale.

Well, impatience took over. I craved more Mayle and bought Jemeen for $199 from Sebastians in Dallas. A few weeks later, there it was at the sample sale for $75, in black and white, in size 6. Making the most of it, I bought the ivory version (this time a size 8 as it seemed to run smaller).

Since then, I've realized what a great dress this is. I took the black and white to England and my Mum, who hates black dresses, loved it. Besides being comfortable, it is also durable as I found out yesterday. To escape the heat and get some work done (reviewing an article for a journal and finishing a syllabus), I retreated to Starbucks with Evan. At this point, my choice of drinks there is strongly curtailed. I'd have decaf coffee (allowed) but they only offer the disgusting Pikes Place. I am not allowed juices, I can't deal with hot tea in this weather and dislike it iced (I am English), I don't like the sugary frappaccino/shakes. So I had another calorie laden treat (the only one I like), the signature hot chocolate. Alas, the lid was not on straight (my fault) so I treated my Agnes bag and Jemeen to a good helping of my drink.

Memories of the damage water caused to Santa Teresa escaped me as I ran to the bathroom, stripped off my dress and washed the stain out with a little soap and a lot of cold water. It worked! There was no need for dry cleaning, no shrinkage or change to the fabric. While I'd never wash the entire dress, I have even more respect for this pretty little workhorse of a dress. It's great on 95 degree days and I think it will be amazing in the fall with black tights and a black cardigan. I also look forward to wearing its ivory sister with purple or black tights and an assortment of cardigans.

As we all know, it's sometimes the little dresses we overlook that become the backbone of our wardrobe. While I'm still looking out for that rare ivory paisley size 10 Jacinthe (or the lavender version) and a size 4-8 Zenith in black, I am very happy that I rethought Jemeen. And, no, I won't be selling either of mine. They are for keeps.

3 comments:

Marti said...

Moya- I agree, its such a great dress. I actually have been wearing the lilac one more than the black and white but I love them both!

Biscuit said...

also agree- i felt exactly the same: not entirely sold on it when it came out or even when it went on sale. but i picked up the black and white at the sample sale and had it altered down to fit, and it gets so many compliments! i agree it will be really cute with black tights in the fall.

re: water spots on santa theresa/anahi. when i've dripped water on either of these, i've found that pressing gently on both sides of the fabric sandwiched between paper towels soaks up the water and what's left doesn't leave a mark when it dries.

thanks again for doing the handoff for the acid green asia! i still haven't been able to try it on, i hope the color works.

avalanche2020 said...

The Jemeen is actually the one and only dress I had wanted when I first saw the collection. I'm glad that you are loving the dress in both colors! I agree it's a very versatile piece. With all the lovely details without being too dressy, and that it is very wearable all year round!