Monday, July 13, 2009

Writing

I'm on a self-imposed deadline to finish the book. My goal this week is to get the introduction completed and then print up everything (all seven chapters and the intro), read it through for repetition/style/clarity of argument, edit it down, correct it, and then read through one last time. Then I compose the letter to UC press explaining the huge amount of work that went into this rewrite and the whole thing goes in the mail and a large number of attachments are simultaneously sent to the editor in Berkeley.

That is why I spent a sunny weekend inside, moving away from any bright sunlight that hit my laptop, furrowing around papers and cutting, pasting, rewriting, rephrasing my prose. It's 12.19 am and I am just taking a break. I intend to finish reading this draft of the introduction before bedtime. Evan's also working hard on a paper so I have good company.

This is also the week I start acupuncture. I'm not so scared and hope it will have good results.

I've also got a fun assignment. I've been asked to write 800-1,200 words on the picture of Britney shaving her head for an academic journal (I suspect one of my former students has something to do with that as he was in my Celebrity seminar at NYU a year or so back). Regardless, it will be fun. I've discussed that image before, often in discussions of Judith Butler's gender trouble--after all, nothing elucidates dense and poorly written theory like references to Britney Spears!

Other than work, we did sneak out for two films this weekend (both with friends). Public Enemies was really good, despite a slight pacing issue 2/3 of the way through. The costumes and Chicago location shooting were amazing, as was Johnny Depp. Christian Bale was perfectly cast as an automaton FBI agent with little affect. We also saw Bruno, which veered between being riotously (and obscenely) funny and somewhat dislocated. But certainly it was fun. I'm trying to make sure I laugh heartily several times a day and it definitely ensured that was the case.

4 comments:

Marti said...

acupuncture will be great. seriously, when you talk to the dr tell them about all of your problems (like if you have sinus issues, stress or gastro - that sort of thing) that way you can get treated all at once. I also suggest wearing a skirt b/c you will most likely hve to get needles in your abs. It will be fine. I am currently on a break from acupuncture b/c I only could spend $500 on insurance...you will love it - i bet you fall asleep! Good luck!

lorochills said...

moya-good luck with the acupuncture...i am having good thoughts about this...

Moya said...

Thank you Marti and Loretta. I'm so hoping this works. I'm definitely going to wear a skirt and mention other issues. I've also had to keep a food diary and, of course, I've eaten more pizza, fries and other bad stuff this week than I usually eat in a year!

Cindy said...

Good luck! I am excited to hear about the acupuncture and the conclusion of your writing assignments!