Thursday, July 9, 2009

A Great Wednesday

I suppose I've been a little reluctant to post, solely because I don't want to bump the pictures of Peeps further down the page. But yesterday was such a great day I need to mark it here. In the morning, I headed over to the Mayle showroom (again) to pick up some pieces that Jessie had held for Cindy and me because she didn't know the price. I got the Fabienne vest in gray (a color that didn't go into production, I believe); Cindy got the Astrid dress, the very one that Jane had held back for herself.

After that, I went to Whole Foods to grab lunch, then to Starbucks to write before meeting Evan at West Elm to choose some dining room chairs. In the absence of a dining room, these will go in the kitchen. After that, I headed back up to Penn Station to meet Loretta, who grabbed a salad, then we headed over to the Rachel Comey sample sale to meet Cindy. The first person we saw was Yoon, whose gorgeous Rio Plata Mayle top we'd just discussed. Yoon--we have to hang out sometime soon.

I thought the sale was overpriced and there wasn't so much stock (prices were higher than at Mayle and I know the price points for Rachel Comey are a lot lower, although it's also clearly a far smaller enterprise). The dress I'd been thinking about was there (the top was not, or rather, it was only available in ivory, not the print I wanted). Dresses werer $165 and up, tops around $145 or so. Items were also moving fast. Shoes were a better deal, but Rachel Comey's shoes run small--at least in the larger sizes--and there was literally nothing that fit me. Cindy did a lot better, however. I left empty handed, thinking that I could get what I wanted much cheaper elsewhere. Tax was not included, making the final decision for me--along with Cindy's veto of the dress I slipped on over Sonya.

If it wasn't great enough to meet up with Loretta and Cindy, we also saw Elise at the sale--she's currently interning with Rachel Comey. We will definitely see her again soon.

We then went to the West Village to Julie's apartment, where we met up with Monica and then spent a wonderful evening together. After looking at our new Mayle items, making some trades and trying on pieces, we all headed up to Julie's roof for drinks and snacks, before finally heading out to dinner. It was a great night with great friends. Julie was a wonderful and graceful host and we'll certainly all get together again soon.

9 comments:

Marti said...

Moya, that sounds like the perfect day - moving into a fun night. I wish I had something like that here. I think that I am the only person here that I have even seen wearing Mayle....rachel comey prices sounded slighty above whole sale - I know the dress I loved was $350 I still haven't taken the plunge.

I am assuming that the showroom is cleaned out at this point... was jane still charging $165 for the furry vests??? The Fabien sounds amazing. I want to hear about the trades!

Unknown said...

Moya - It sounds like such an amazing day! How wonderful to have met such kind people through this blog.

C L said...

Moya, It was great to see at RC SS.
It was a long day for me too - I got part time work at a gallery so I had to be there in the morning, lunch & dinner w friends - but it was a great that I stopped by RC sample sale and met everyone again and also Elise.
I was holding many things on my hand at the sale but I ended up getting just one pair of shoes.
I need to save up money before I spend, and I and hoping maybe I can find better Mayle deal.
I love how all of you showed up in Mayle ( I love your Sonya dress so much) Cindy's josie romper and purple baby billie were so adorable and cute -
Loretta, i love you glasses I wanted to ask where you got it!
Hope to run into you guys again sometime soon!!
Y

Cindy said...

Thank you Julie for making it happen! So much beautiful Mayle - aztec lace petulia, silvana in pansy lace, a gingham check blouse and africana flats in red... Sigh.

I ended up taking advantage of the 3 pairs/$250 deal at RC and walked away with the black snakeskin cherry short boots, camel logan buckle boots, and a purple ankle lace up bootie sample. The 3-fer deal had its way with me... Yoon, what did you get?

leanne said...

Cindy - your shoes sound fabulous!

LivKate said...

I had such a blast yesterday. It was such a great day to sit on the roof in the West Village, sip wine and enjoy such awesome company. I am looking forward to us all getting together soon.

lorochills said...

it was a totally fabulous time yesterday...i wish i could have stayed longer...i enjoyed what time i did spend with you guys
julie a gorgeous roof with gorgeous friends a perfect night indeed
yoon-the glasses are paul smith, it was so great to see again...

Moya said...

Marti--the showroom had a few lingering pieces (they have Fabienne in black still in the sample bins). The vest was still $165--I think the prices are firm. Basically, there was the same rack that I saw last time, but with a few less items. Still some Santa Theresa dresses, for anybody who is interested. I saw 2, 4 and 6, and there may be more.

It was such a great day, Leanne. Everybody I've met through this blog is amazing. Will you be in the city any time soon?

Yoon--it was great to see you--we'll have to get together soon. I was reticent to buy any RC because of the price (I think it was above wholesale, Marti) and I'd rather put that money into Mayle. I've also got to save and pay off my sample sale credit card debt!

And thank you again, Julie. It was such a great night.

Christina said...

It's great that this blog has brought together many amazing women and forge some wonderful friendships. I just wish I lived closer to meet everyone!