Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Upside Down

There's something odd about the trance I get into when writing. Today, I got through three rewrites of my introduction, eliminating some repetition, refining the structure, adding some transitions/expository sentences and further developing a few points. I'd hoped to sent it off to my friend Amanda tonight (we read each other's work) but it was not to be.

My sense of time really gets messed up when I'm writing. I thought it was lunchtime at 4 p.m., Evan practically had to drag me out of Starbucks around 9 p.m. as he was starving and I thought it was still nearer 7, and then I was shocked when he turned on the Daily Show (I thought it was still early evening). By my calculations, I must have been writing or editing for 12 hours or more today, and I put in at least that yesterday. I have no idea if this book is good, bad or makes any sense at this point. There's this parallel universe where I know what I want to say but I'm no longer able to say if this matches what I have on paper/screen. I think this is probably when you hand it over to an editor but I want this to be good, and my perfectionism may be getting in the way--at least Evan seems to think so.

Tomorrow, acupuncture. And I am not taking my chapter with me.

4 comments:

Marti said...

Moya, get some rest. Let all the stress fall away at Acupuncure!!!!!

erica said...

i'm jealous of your ability to concentrate on writing! leon has me running around in circles. everything i write is half-formed snippets typed up in 20 minutes bursts every few hours.

i hope the acupuncture went well. my dad used to practice chinese herbal medicine and acupuncture. it works so well, in spite of my persisting skepticism.

ok, back to writing...

LivKate said...

Wow, impressive. I wish I could function like that at work! I hope all goes well with the acupuncture treatment.

Moya said...

Acupuncture was great--thank you for the clothing advice, Marti! I wore Stella and an Earnest Sewn denim skirt.

I hope everything goes well with your writing, Erica. I can only imagine how difficult it has to be with Leon and the temptations to play with him instead. I found it tough to find time when teaching summer school so the fact you are getting anything done is amazing.

I am amazed at acupuncture already--it really seemed to do something. Of course, I can't expect it will automatically help me to get pregnant but I think there is something really powerful there.

Thanks for the good wishes, Monica. I don't think I could be this productive if I hadn't taken some time off last week!