Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Acupuncture

I took a break from writing to go to acupuncture today. The intro is looking good, I think, so that was a relief. Acupuncture was pretty amazing too. I went to somebody in Union Square (following a friend's recommendation) and was really impressed. My acupuncturist was so nice, very thorough and helpful and spent about an hour with me discussing everything that might have to do with my case, fertility, etc. I also mentioned a few other minor health issues, like bad colds, and I think she helped me with those too. She covered diet and general wellness, giving me a lot of good advice, including some I didn't expect--avoid salads, smoothies, fruit juices.

Evidently my Qi is weak (although she said could also be because I hadn't eaten all day--and my appointment was at 2.30--a bad habit I sometimes fall into), as was my pulse, so I have to build that. This means focusing on warm foods (I have a list). This, and other blockages, may account for some of my problems conceiving. Evidently, my tongue showed I am stagnating--which I felt too (see the unfinished book), and so she was going to work on that too.

Then the acupuncture. I was reticent at first, maybe a little fearful, but it was amazing. I felt some of the needles going in (mainly in the center of my abdomen, the ones near my hips and the one in my forehead). The ones on my hands and feet I never felt. I was surprised how few needles they use--I'd fallen for the old cliched image where I'd end up like a porcupine. But there was no real pain. Indeed, I think I could have stayed there for hours. It was an odd and pleasant sensation--and I was amazed by how different parts of my body reacted. I felt both energized and relaxed, sometimes sequentially, other times simultaneously. I also felt pulling in my lower back despite no needles. Most curiously, I closed my eyes and saw a deep pink (like the Cassis Clothilde!) and green vying for dominance (odd), I felt my breathing at one point open up to my lower abdomen as some blockage seemed to suddenly give way, and I felt the needle in my head gradually clear my sinuses. I also felt the needle in the center of my stomach and the one in my forehead vying for dominance, as though my over-thinking was being put in check so the abdomen, the site of creativity, could dominate. Towards the end, I had a strange, faint image of being in labor, albeit without pain and in a dreamlike way. Most of this--the breathing, sense of a removed block, the power of the two central needles, I explained to Juliette. She was pleased and said I responded well.

So I left with two forms of medicine-- a curious black chicken in wax eggs and You Gui. I go back next Tuesday for my next session where she will also teach me some stomach massage techniques.

I then met up with Jen, which was lots of fun. We talked and window shopped our way around Soho and Nolita. We walked down Elizabeth Street and I felt compelled to look in 242. The store was empty, save for a yellow motorcycle and black helmet (Jane's desk/register had gone). But the infrastructure was the same. I suspect it has been rented but if so, for what? The motorcycle suggests it won't be for a similar store, if one ever existed--and as we know, there's nothing comparable out there.

5 comments:

lorochills said...

moya- it sounds like the acupuncture went well and that you have a renewed outlook :)that's interesting about no juices and no salads, i wonder why?

i am glad the rest of your day was nice as well and yes i agree that now there is no collection out there that will hold my attention the way mayle does...its quite sad really

Marti said...

Moya, I am glad it was amazing! seriously follow the dr's advice, they know- the herbs can bitter. I wish my new dr had been that thourough with me!

DYING to know whats going into Mayle's old space.

Moya said...

I think they are too cold and I have to concentrate on warming foods, Loretta. She also wants me to eat my vegetables cooked as I can get the nutrients more easily that way (so it's goodbye for now to my favorite Whole Foods salmon salad). I'm not sure on the juices myself. I have to increase my protein and fat intake--move up to 1% yogurt, etc.

I am going to listen to the doctor, Marti. I am pretty good at respecting and obeying advice. If you are ever back in NYC, I'd really recommend her.

I am so curious about the old Mayle space. I just wish it was Fall 09 going in there!

Cindy said...

I'm so glad your acupuncture experience was good! Give the entire process a bit of time - I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Elizabeth St was on my way home last night after watching an avant garde play... I munched on grilled corn from Habana and felt slightly horrified by the stark interior with a random yellow motorcycle. I wasn't going to say anything, but it's funny how we (sort of) crossed paths yesterday!

Marti said...

Mayle fall 09 - available at SE for high price.