Sunday, June 21, 2009

Mayle find

OK, I should be grading. But I feel tired, burned out after summer school (and no, it isn't over until Wednesday). I've done little today--read the NYTimes, played with cats, lazed on the couch but now it is back to serious work. I am trying to conserve some of my energy for my own work. I will set out a rigorous writing/exercise schedule for the rest of the summer--so today, I am taking some time to rest before grading 24 papers and 12 speeches.

Yesterday was a fun day. Evan and I went to dinner at a loft in Bushwick where my friends Michael and Alison are house-sitting for the summer. Before that, Cindy and I met up, looked in a few consignment stores and bought some jewelry from Poupette in the designers market. I got a sand-dollar pendant on a gold and black double chain and we both put in custom orders (I'm having a rose gold m necklace made with a small diamond, Cindy is having a small circle necklace made with a diamond imprint). Both are really reasonable--less than a second hand Mayle dress. I think mine may end up being my birthday present from Evan, as I doubt I'll find any Mayle in the next few days and I'm fear the mess I've made of my finances with Mayle closing.

But I did find a Stella top, size 10, which I'm wearing now. Pictures to follow when I find my phone charger. It's the brown and white ruffled sleeveless top from Fall 05--the one with two fabrics, like the Sascha dress. I'm very pleased with it. But there was little Mayle to find in NYC's consignment stores--I think Tokio 7 has been discovered and shopped dry by Mayle fans.

7 comments:

erica said...

your new jewelry sounds pretty (and affordable)!

nothing exciting going on here. we're trying to make a trip to nyc happen next weekend. i want to go to lena corwin's studio sale on sat.

good luck with the final few days of summer school. i'm in the same boat with the much-needed writing schedule.

Moya said...

It is--I think you'd like it. As soon as I have the custom necklace, I'll put it up here (and when I find my charger, I'll do the same with the sand dollar one).

I hope you can make it next weekend. Good luck with the writing! I'm so tired but I have to make it happen this summer. I've also got to get the second proposal out--especially as I have press interest. I know the job market next year will be even worse than this one so I need everything to be in order to get a job in or near NYC.

erica said...

that's great that you have press interest! i'm slightly embarrassed to say that i like jennifer meyer's gold disc necklace with diamond pave initial. something simple like that would be nice to wear once leon stops grabbing everything in sight.

the writing is really slow because i rarely have quiet time to myself. and when i have a spare hour, i end up ditzing online. which reminds me, i should get ready to work since it's almost leon's bedtime.

Marti said...

Moya, that necklace sounds great@!@@ I want to see pictures! I HAVE THAT TOP. Its a great piece and I think I know where you found it!!

Cindy said...

Moya - T-1 till school ends... Can't wait to see you wearing stella on your blog (or in real life)!

If you haven't discovered Poupette at YDM, check out her work at Anica and Totokaelo!

Moya said...

I will post pictures soon--I can't find my camera charger and I used up the power taking pictures at Becca's Bat Mitzvah.

I love the Stella top, Marti. It's such a great basic. I'm still looking for the Sascha dress but I don't anticipate it will be easy to find. I wasn't expecting I'd find the Stella either so it was a great surprise--it was even hidden on the rack amongst other heavier tops.

Erica--I would love to meet up with you on Saturday. I'll finally get to meet Leon!

Unknown said...

Hi Moya- I've read your blog for the great mayle tips and want to let you know that I have a never worn (tags attached) Ebba dress in the gold color, size 8, that I am planning on posting to eBay tonight some time. Thought I'd give you a heads up since it seems you're an 8 and it fits true to size (I wear a 4 and the 4 fits me). I also have the blue in a 6. Take care and thanks for your thoughtful blog!