Monday, May 11, 2009

Shoe Purge

This weekend, I was feeling sufficiently better to do some fun things. I met up with Leanne to check out the Steven Alan Outpost's pre-sample sale offerings. I was not impressed by prices (they seemed higher than usual--shirts around $79-129) or variety of stock. One gray linen shift appealed but given my recent Mayle binges and the size of my credit card bill, I decided that the $139 plus tax should be added to my payment. Besides, if any fabulous Mayle item happened to drift my way on ebay, via a consignment store find or even through an email from the store, I'd want to prioritize that over any other item.

It was great to see Leanne, albeit briefly, looking amazing in her Haverhill dress and Rachel Comey belt. But my footwear spoiled my fun. I was wearing a pair of great Chie Mihara sandals from last summer--their first outing. I like the brand for their comfort and style--not many heels (other than Mayle, alas) work for walking around NYC. This pair were pretty but too narrow for my very wide feet. As a result, I cut a groove into one of my toes. The shoes are barely worn, but I think I'll be posting them on the General Economy blog. I had to call Evan to ask him to bring me some other shoes (a comfy pair of Chie Mihara heels from the same season) so I could make it to dinner and then back home.

As I put my shoes away later, I realized I have a stash of barely worn or totally unworn shoes that cripple me for the same reason--all too narrow. So I'll be trying to sell these as soon as the semester finishes. No Mayle, I'm afraid, but all pretty and will work for a size 40-41 who doesn't have such insanely wide feet as me...

3 comments:

erica said...

you'd think that shoe designers would wise up to the fact that many many women have wide feet!

having realized that my post-pregnancy feet are even longer and wider than before, i'm going to have to cull my shoe collection, too. unfortunately most of them are so beat up that i think i'll have to toss them.

as happy as i am about warmer weather, i dread breaking in my sandals. every year it's the same thing...

glad to hear you're feeling better, though!

Unknown said...

It was great to see you! I'm so sorry to hear that your feet hurt so badly, but glad that Evan brought you new shoes. I was ready to sit by the time I made it to dinner. I finally received a pair of flat Rachel Comey sandals from last year that I purchased on ebay, and I think they will accomodate my wide feet just fine. Chie Miharas are usually pretty good. For all the pain, you looked lovely!!

Marti said...

moya- I hear you on teh shoe purge. I have some unworn Marc Jacobs collection, Chanel, Lulu Guiness party heels etc... all sitting in my closet and I am so torn whether to sell or not.....