Thursday, May 7, 2009

Rainy Day

I caught a cold from some of my students (this is one of the downsides of teaching). Thankfully, the student whose sister has swine flu didn't come to school for a week, so I know it's just a cold and it will pass. My mother, the nurse, always says colds are underrated and this comes from a woman who taught us to be strong in the face of minor illnesses (one reason why I never missed a day of school). So I didn't feel up to doing much today anyway, except grooming the cats (Peeps is in dire need of a comb out as her long shedding fur was getting matted) and cleaning house. My friend Jane was coming in for the weekend and I was excited to have her stay. I say "was" because she first called me today to plan our weekend--she wanted to go to the Lafayette 145 sample sale today (she's quite a bit older than me). Then she called to say her flight was slightly delayed. Five hours later, she had boarded and deplaned without leaving Pittsburgh, and by 4.30, she'd got her money back and was on her way back home.

So, I have a clean house and a nicely combed out Peeps but otherwise I have done nothing much other than drink Green and Blacks hot chocolate (expensive but lovely), talk on the phone and cough a lot. Maybe it's just as well given I didn't feel that great and my brain is so fried that any writing I did today would hardly be stunning.

I did, however, belatedly order Mum some plants for Mother's Day. She loves her garden the way I love Mayle so ordinary plants don't do it for her. She likes plants that are at the unusual designer end of things, which I respect, including old varietals and traditional old English flowers. Fortunately, England has a couple of great online plant retailers, like crocus.co.uk that sell plants that are a little bit special. I got her a lilac colored delphinium, a deep red peony and a plant that appealed to me called a mullein in a peach color with pinky-lilac centers. I've never even heard of mulleins so I imagine it is different and pretty enough for Mum, but hope that it works with her soil. I just wish I could be there with her, even though England's mother's day is in March. I have the best Mum in the world, you see, even though she'll never understand my obsession with clothing. That was one quality I didn't inherit from her--instead, both grandmothers can take credit for that.

11 comments:

LivKate said...

Thank you for such a nice post. I am sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. I am also fighting a cold and have just taken some Alka Seltzer cold medicine. Your hot chocolate sounds sublime! Take care of yourself.

UM said...

Feel better Moya! Try on some of your new stuff to cheer you up.

Unknown said...

Moya - hope you feel better soon! The flowers that you orered for your mum sound lovely. I'm going to look them up as I have never heard of one of them either. You did inherit her appreciation for exquisite, unique things (flowers, clothing, design ...)! The hot chocolate sound slovely. My stomach was finally feeling better so I had one myself today. Take care of you.

Marti said...

Feel better. I hate this crazy weather. I too ordered my mother a late Mother's Day gift - she likes perfume so I sent Dior Cherie

Cindy said...

Moya, you make me want hot chocolate, mmm. I hope your mom loves her posies. Feel better soon!

UM said...

Hi Moya, I just received my box from Mayle yesterday. Their sizing is so odd, I guess that is why it pays to go in person and try on! The Ilaria in white/yellow cotton I got in a 4 being nervous about the sizing and it is fine, but a 2 would have been better. I got the sylvana in a 6 and think I need to lose 5lbs to button it properly! (I will try since it so pretty). I love the leopard clogs and they are surprisingly comfortable. I am now inspired to find black ones if there are any. Were you able to find out if there are any more sizes(I am 6.5,7) and where to ask?

UM said...

and hope you are feeling better!!! Sorry to bother you if you are still sick

Margaret said...

i am looking for clogs too--in the same size as you (40-41, pref 41), i tried to tweet josephinedress but got no reply. if you hear back and there are more than you need (or more of the ones you already have), please let me know! i wasn't able to go to the samplesale as my baby was in the hospital for several days. it kind of put things in perspective (thankfully she is doing well now) but i was sorry to miss it.

Moya said...

Thanks for the kind wishes. I am still feeling a bit under the weather but much better this morning.

Margaret--I haven't heard back from Mayle either. I am not holding out any hopes either. I don't think 41s made it to the sale--I did try on one of a pair of 40s (it was a little narrow) and I think that's one reason why I put it back, given the craziness of the sale. I know Jane Mayle and Emma Fletcher have big feet (41-42 I think) so it is possible the largest sizes were never put out. I think the clogs are finished and what is left over tops out at 39, I believe. I don't know the exact sizes but sense they are around 38-39 and maybe 36. Nobody has got back to me. I did hear that they would be compiling a list of left-over stock to send out so if there is anything, it will be there. I'd also try sending them another tweet or emailing them/leaving a message on the showroom number. It can't hurt.

UM--the sizes are crazy. The 6 Ilaria in Pansy lace fit me, but the cotton was way too small (and too short). The Sylvania in pansy lace in an 8 barely fit over my hips.

Marti said...

I heard from Jane, no large size in clogs and only the black with gold stars/flowers are left. I believe there is a 37 and a 39.

I too just recieved my Ilaria in the yellow and gray and its a 4 and slightly big. Nota favorite of mine and I know its going to go unworn, so moya is great enough to post it for me.

Moya said...

Oh, Margaret, I forgot to say I'm sorry your little girl was sick. I totally understand why you'd rather be with her than at the sale. It was not that great, as you probably gathered, and certainly demand exceeded supply. Maybe we'll find those clogs again some day on ebay. I'm glad your daughter is feeling better.