Friday, May 1, 2009

Final Mayle

First of all, I'm sorry for the lack of posts this week. Mayle's closing was exhausting both emotionally and physically, and it happened to coincide with the last few weeks of the semester where things wind up (or down) to a frenzy. So, I've been remiss in posting and I apologize for that.

Perhaps it wasn't any surprise that Mayle's closing had one last, very brief coda. As some of you know, there were items at the sale that had to be pre-ordered, largely because they didn't get delivered in time for the first day(s) of the sample sale (mainly Fedosia coats, an item that unfortunately did not come in the size 10 I needed--it ran small so the 8 wouldn't work for me). Consequently, customers had to pick these items up from the store on Wednesday and Thursday before 1 p.m. when the lease expired and all remaining fixtures and stock were removed from 242 Elizabeth Street. In the meantime, it leaked that some stock was still available, leftovers from the sale. Minimal styles and sizes were left, but it turned out some black Rosamelias were available for $95. Without the ruffle, I figured it could work, so Elise put one aside for me. I had also wanted a Billie bag in dark leather, but these won't be in until May. Evidently when they get them in, somebody will call and we'll basically get what we get. I think I'm on a wait list. Fingers crossed I'll get one.

So, it was fitting that on Thursday morning, Monica, Cindy, Julie and I found ourselves at Mayle for the final time. I picked up a bag of items Kim had ordered and snagged that black Rosamelia for myself and a cotton Ilaria for Leanne (with an extra 30% discount). Monica, Julie and Cindy picked up a few final items. By this point, there were only 2 racks of clothing left (in the back area where the sale was held) and a few small boxes of accessories--brown suede Carribea bags, elasticated belts, madcap slippers, etc. No clutches or satin pouches were left, nor were there any Yves scarves.

The best parts were getting to see Elise one more time (as lovely, upbeat and kind as ever) and meeting Jane. They were both extremely gracious--when I got there at noon, they were just one hour away from walking away forever. Movers were about to come, boxes and files of paperwork, remaining clothing and other items were being packed up, yet they were happy for Monica and I to try on a few last items (even advising that we use the changing rooms for the final time). It was strangely normal--as though the store would suddenly be restocked with another collection of beautiful and inspired clothing.

I thanked Jane for all the pleasure her beautiful work has given me over the years. She was so nice--gentle, graceful, elegant and thoughtful. I was also struck by how beautiful she is--I've seen her before and I think she was stressed out because she was pretty but looked tired. This time (and, indeed, at the sample sale), she was glowing and looked so young and beautiful. I'm always cautious about meeting people whose work I love--my friend Sean always said, "Never meet the band." This maxim seemed wise and I followed it--no point having your pleasure in someone's work ruined if they don't come across as a nice person. Meeting Jane left a nice taste in my mouth--she seemed so wonderful and so thoughtful. As with my meeting with Laetitia Sadier from Stereolab last year, I left thinking how great it was that such amazing work was produced by somebody so amazing and so beautiful, not that looks matter, but both are breathtaking women. Given that Jane was coming out of what must have been a very tiring time (wrapping up the business, the sample sale and the store closing), I couldn't believe how radiant and stylish she looked in her jeans and checked rose cotton top (not one of her own designs).

So, my Rosamelia is now at Splendid Cleaners, per Marti's recommendation, having the ruffle removed. I will pick it up on Tuesday. It should be much more wearable that way and I hope it will be $30 well spent.

So I wonder where I'll find my next Mayle pieces? Consignment, ebay? I'll keep you posted for sure.

7 comments:

LivKate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
pine said...

Thanks, Moya. You are a goddess.

I do feel sad about it finally. I think the stress of having to order such expensive clothing on a time pressure sucked all the fun out of Mayle through this last phase. And always having to decide from the photos on picasa, etc. As well as having to guess each step of the forthcoming stock. But now that it is finished, I do not think I could walk down Elizabeth Street for a while when I return home to NYC. I will just miss the feeling of being in that shop, which often felt like walking straight into a fantasy.

But it's been rather wonderful to meet you as a final gift from Mayle!

Moya said...

Kim, you sum it up perfectly. I think you, Monica, Cindy, Loretta, Julie, Leanne etc. are a wonderful final gift from Mayle. Everybody I've met from the blog at Mayle has been so lovely, and those with whom I've only had virtual communications--like Marti and Melissa--have been so great.

It's going to be tough to walk down Elizabeth St. I am going to avoid that block for some time to come.

Monica--as always it was so great to see you yesterday and today. I think it was appropriate we were all there to see the final moments of Mayle--for real this time.

Christina said...

great post, Moya. You're a talented wordsmith and I always enjoy reading your posts. Do you have any ideas for a new book?

It's been fun chatting with everyone here and sharing our finds and deals. Thanks to Kim and Moya, I was lucky to order a Raisa via phone with Elise. It was also nice of them to ship it out to me at the very last minute before they closed. Moya, I will be forever grateful for picking up those items for me at sample sale. I will look out for you if I come across Mayle at consignment.

Marti said...

Moya, I am so jealous that you got to actually "shop the store" one last time. But I am so happy that you got some final bargains! I am looking forward to reciving my box this coming week (I am assuming by Weds). I just got my black floral clogs and am excited to wear them.....

lorochills said...

i enjoyed this mad rush at the very end...
julie-thank you for helping me
kim-you are so sweet for putting the dress on hold

i agree with all...jane was so patient and kind even when i spoke with her and asked her many questions about sizes and what stock was left

i am sad i was not there to be with all of you...it feels real now

mel said...

moya - that was a lovely post. i am really sad the store has finally closed, but happy that this insanity may finally end for me. being able to share passions is a gift, and certainly this blog has been that for me in the past few months. even though mayle is now closed, i'm sure we can share other passions besides mayle even though, like you, i will always hope there is more mayle waiting to find its way to me in some form or another.