Sunday, October 5, 2008

Stereolab

One of my favorite bands, Stereolab, was in town this weekend. I'd planned to go with my friend Amy and finally made it to Irving Plaza to get tickets on Thursday lunchtime. I'd had some bad subway delays so I made it to the box office a little later than I'd hoped--and was a bit annoyed about that--but I was rewarded by the sight of Tim Gane exiting a tour bus, followed by Andy Ramsey, Joe Watson and some roadies carrying in equipment. I was super exited already, and then I saw Laeticia Sadier, who was taller than I'd thought (I estimate she was at least 5' 10'' like me) and unbelievably beautiful in the flesh. As I stood in line to buy tickets I hoped I hadn't blown it and waited for too long. I had to have been staring at her.

Inspired by seeing the band unpacking, I got tickets for both Thursday and Saturday (I would have gone for Friday night too but Evan and I had plans). As I left, I saw Laeticia one more. This time, she stopped, looking at me quizzically in case she knew me. I called her by name, she responded and I told her I was a fan. That I had everything by Stereolab, offering my ipod as some feeble proof. I told her she was beautiful (actually, I think I said that twice), that I knew a friend of Simon's and had been backstage when they last played NYC at Town Hall. I blabbered. I wasn't the professor who had to go home and grade, finish writing her book and take care of work. I was a fan who had lost control of language. She was graceful, sweet and kind. She stood and listened to me as though I was saying something worthwhile. She never tried to rush away to continue setting up (hell, they were busy). I think she even suggested I come over and speak to Simon but, like I said, my brain wasn't working.

The shows were great, even though the sound mix was off at times (not their fault and I've read Irving Plaza has terrible sound). I was near the front on Thursday and near the middle on Saturday. I'd have liked them to play longer and didn't agree with all their song choices--could have done without Eye of the Volcano and would love to have heard more from Cobra and Dots and Loops, for instance. And I cherish it--and them--all the more for being such nice people.

I hope they carry on touring and recording for a long, long time. They are the soundtrack to most of my life. It's scary that it is 14 years ago I cycled to the CD store on Shepherd just south of Alabama (in dear Houston, TX) in 90+degree heat to pick up Emperor Tomato Ketchup and sat with my kittens listening to the new Mars Audiac Quintet. Or that I went into Earwax in Chicago 11 years ago to get my Dots and Loops LP on white and green vinyl. Or that I picked up Transient Noise Bursts With Announcements over a decade ago from a record store on Portobello Road. And it was 14 years ago I saw them for the first time at Lollapallooza in Dallas on a day that started off blisteringly hot and saw torrential rain--fortunately after Stereolab's set--that soaked me to the ski (like everyone else), so much so that I put on my new glow in the dark Stereolab T shirt to keep warm. They were a second stage band and the reason I went. I don't see how those years can have passed so fast. But their music still sounds as great as ever.

Other than that, it was the week of the sick cat, or rather, week 2. Remy is now eating but she has a new oesophagal tube for supplemental feeding and drugs. Alas, it appears blocked and that means yet another visit to the Animal Medical Center. Poor Evan is massively stressed out over this. Hopefully she will recover soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We were at the show last night too, but right behind the soundboard. You might find it interesting to know that there was a soundboard guy up there that appeared to be touring with the band. He was constantly tweaking the knobs and playing with faders, especially whenever something started to sound kinda muddy or fed back or whatever. The sound was actually quite good from the balcony, as was the view.

I was really pleased with the song selection; they played a LOT of my faves from past albums and there was such a great energy coming from the stage.

Good luck with your kitty. I have a couple of my own and would do ANYTHING for them to stay happy and healthy. Apparently, you would too! :)

====================================

Blood Ruby - blud roo'-bee (n.) atmospheric alternative music somewhere in the vein of dream pop, ethereal and neoprogressive rock.
See also www.bloodruby.com

====================================

Moya said...

I really wanted to go up to the balcony--but I never knew if it was VIP only. I figured something went really wrong with the sound during Lo Boob Oscillator, with Simon's bass up way too loud and the tone of Laeticia's vocals veering all over the place.

I loved the concert, don't get me wrong, but on Thursday they played two more songs, including Jenny Ondioline so I rated that set higher.

And thank you for the kind wishes for Remy. I do anything for my kitties too!